Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 05:14 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc619 View Post
My wife and I grew up in a high crime neighborhood, what you folks call the GHETTO(East San Diego). I attended our local schools(Central El., Wilson Jh., and Crawford Hs.) while my wife was bused out (through a magnet program) to schools in good areas like Mission Bay Hs, in both cases we made out just fine.
Wife: ASB president, Homecoming queen, SDSU Grad, ect...
Myself: USC grad and a great husband

One thing we notice since we moved out here is how much emphasis you guys put on Schools. I think it's foolish to think that's because you have more black and Mexicans at a school means your kids will not get a good education, I would even respect you more if you've just come out and say "I don't want my kids in school with poor minorities".

Motivated kids with good parents will succeed at ANY SCHOOL PERIOD!

The only people who are saying that is a small group of narrow minded people.
LOL you coulda saved more money if you lived in Alief ghetto boy (j/k)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2009, 05:20 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,120,956 times
Damn you Sugarland! you're taking away a lot of my people in Alief. No wonder we're getting more peaceful everyday
hmm although I think I predicted this

Old 04-03-2009, 05:20 PM

6,884 posts, read 20,405,752 times
Quote:

One thing we notice since we moved out here is how much emphasis you guys put on Schools. I think it's foolish to think that's because you have more black and Mexicans at a school means your kids will not get a good education, I would even respect you more if you've just come out and say "I don't want my kids in school with poor minorities".
Enlighten me otherwise. Just for grins. Give me numbers, statistics, show me where all kids excel in a school ruled by poor minorities, and I'll show you some swell beachfront property in Arizona. Again, it isn't a race issue, it's a statistical issue. There's more to having minorities (especially non-english speaking) in a school than just skin tone. Funding is a big one. Special Ed is a good example. You want to call racism? Then look to your state and federal government. No Child Left Behind? Do you know what that has done in Spring Branch to the Special Education programs where hispanics are the majority? It has killed them. ESL is funded under Special Education in most districts--so money that would normally go to kids with disabilities--well, they don't get it all anymore, because speaking Spanish and not understanding English falls under "disability". If I have the choice of putting my child in Rummel Creek (90% caucasian) or Ridgecrest Elementary (38% caucasian), guess which one I'm going to pick for my daughter?

Quote:
Absolutely. So, why does anyone care if Sugar Land protests this?

Quote:
You can call people all sorts of names, it doesn't change the facts. Your thinking is flawed on this topic, as it is quite a large group and the last thing we are is narrow-minded. Our homes, our neighborhoods--they're our investments. If other people don't care enough about theirs, then they need to live elsewhere. We have the things we have and buy where we do so that our kids can have a safe harbor away from the majority of crime in more impoverished areas. It's a choice we all make.

I'd be all for testing into a school in a different area. If you are a great parent and your kid wants to go to such-and-such exemplary high school, then there should be a type of testing award to allow those kids and parents in the district if they wish.

I doubt that will ever happen, though.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:17 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
How is overcrowding of the schools a good thing?
If you actually knew anything about the area, you'd know many subdivisions in the area have been rezoned three times in almost as many years, because the only elementary in the immediate area is too small to accommodate everyone. Building a 150-unit complex on that little piece of land on a winding, two-lane road is not a good idea.

Quote:
Where do you get that idea?

The home values in the Bammel area seem to argue otherwise. Just look at how the home values have stagnated in that area.

Old 04-04-2009, 07:50 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,826,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post

Just trying to get the word out. The more people who complain, the
more likely it is that we'll be able to shoot down this plan.
I'll do what I can to help.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:35 AM

257 posts, read 986,644 times
Default GET used to it

Get used to it people when our glorious leader decides that your big house has 3 bathrooms ,just like they did in the USSR ,you will need to have three familes living in the house.Cheaper for the state and fairness for all.Change we will accept willingly or not.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:36 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,565,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
You know what? This is America! Everyone has a BETTER OPPORTUNITY! I have a daughter with autism who can't even tell me her name--and God knows I love her more than anything--but I would give my life to take the autism away and just allow her the same opportunities as someone neurologically typical in ANY neighborhood! These low-income kids who are being given an education--an EDUCATION! Free and appropriate! If they can't find a way to excel in their school, and move on to a better life, what makes you think they could excel in any other school or find a way to make a difference?

I want to see statistics on how many kids do better vs. fail when they are moved to "better" school districts. Then I'd like to know what impact their residency has on the rest of the neighborhood as far as property values and crime. In Ft. Myers, FL about 3 or 4 years ago, the Utopians running the show started school choice and it has been an unmitigated disaster.

The sense of entitlement in America scares the living crap out of me. I just can't get over it. What happened to earning anything? When did it become give? Good lord, my father was born in 1923, the second oldest of four, and when his mother died in 1930, his two younger brothers were given up for adoption. His dad could not work and take care of the little ones. That's just what you had to do to survive. They all grew up, went to college, went to war, one did not make it back, but as poor as they all were, they all managed to get degrees and better their lives, because it was EXPECTED! Not because they expected it to be given to them.

You don't get it. At all.

Old 04-05-2009, 02:57 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them, and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for, that my dear friend, is about the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it."
---the late Dr. Adrian Rogers , 1931 to 2005

Old 04-05-2009, 03:09 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,051,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
So a few poor kids came in and ruined the whole school district. Must not have been very solid to start with.
No.

Multi-family places were overbuilt in 77014, 77090 and 77068 of Spring ISD. Especially low-income housing. You can look up those zips on the state low-income housing locator tool and see for yourself. Instead of it "helping" the kids on the poor side, the schools went downhill and the neighboring single-family subdivisions lost value and became no longer desirable to middle and middle-upper class families looking for safe areas and good schools.

Want even better examples? Take a look at Sharpstown and Alief.

How many more areas does this need to happen to before the Houston area learns its lesson, and stops giving the developers more rights than the residents who already lived in the area and have been paying property taxes?

You think these developers are in on it for their "goodwill"? Sheesh. No, they just want to make money to pay the bills on their mansions (which I guarantee, are far, far away from any of their slummy developments.)

Old 04-05-2009, 03:15 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,913,302 times
Why not try scattered site housing instead of putting everyone into large multifamily dwellings? It makes more sense to spread people out among all income levels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston