Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2009, 01:17 AM

11 posts, read 28,065 times

Advertisements

Hi

My husband and I are thinking of moving to Houston. My husband has some friends who live in Sugar Land and they really like it, so we will probably end up moving there. I have some questions/concerns, and hopefully some of you will be able to answer them

1- Are there any water front properties in that area (I like more of the "paronamic" view of lakes, etc, not just a little pond, or a little finger off the lake)

2-Any major projects for that area that might depreciate the value of homes?

3-My major concerns: air quality, natural disasters and humidity.
I love the outdoors and want my kids to enjoy the outdoors as well, as I believe that's healthy. However, I worry about the humidity and air quality (due to pollution).

-->Do you find yourself staying more indoors than outdoors because the air quality is either too unhealthy or it's just too hot. How much am I really going to be able to enjoy outdoor activities? Being outdoors is extremely important to me

4-Are there community activities there for both adults and children? I really want to create roots, participate in the community and make friends there. Is this the right place for that?

5-Lastly--How do you deal with and how badly have you been affected by natural disasters?

Thank you for your help!

Last edited by moving2warmTexas; 06-12-2009 at 01:42 AM..

Old 06-12-2009, 02:21 AM

4,760 posts, read 13,832,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moving2warmTexas View Post
Hi

1- Are there any water front properties in that area (I like more of the "paronamic" view of lakes, etc, not just a little pond, or a little finger off the lake)

2-Any major projects for that area that might depreciate the value of homes?

3--->Do you find yourself staying more indoors than outdoors because the air quality is either too unhealthy or it's just too hot. How much am I really going to be able to enjoy outdoor activities? Being outdoors is extremely important to me

4-Are there community activities there for both adults and children? I really want to create roots, participate in the community and make friends there. Is this the right place for that?

5-Lastly--How do you deal with and how badly have you been affected by natural disasters?
1. Sugar Land is not a waterfront community. You can find properties on smaller lakes, but I wouldn't say they have "panoramic views." If you do a search at HAR.com of zip codes 77478 and 77479, you can get a sense of what is available.

2. Sugar Land has strict zoning. Property values seem somewhat robust, although I do remember reading somewhere that home values have fallen in some parts of Fort Bend County during this recession. The Houston Chronicle has data if you want to look it up.

3. The heat is certainly an issue in the summer months, but my family goes outside every day. During June, July, and August, most of our outdoor activities involve water. The other 9 months of the year, we do more picnics and soccer games.

4. Sugar Land is Family Central. There are TONS of things to do, both in Sugar Land itself and in nearby Houston and Galveston.

5. Hardly at all and only then because we were here for a rare event, a hurricane.

Sugar Land is well-known for its quality of life. We moved here from the Pacific Northwest and we are very happy.

Old 06-12-2009, 09:07 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,129,269 times
The OP started a nearly identical topic that is now here. Since posting the same topic in multiple places is not allowed at City-Data, members who wish to help with her questions above can reply there. This thread is closed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston