Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 12:56 PM

265 posts, read 597,200 times

Advertisements

I just want to say that Sugar Land has no need for low-income housing. There are already some and adding more is a bad idea. Contrary to what some think, major cities do no need large amounts of cheap housing to be viable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 01:04 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,071,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callo View Post
I just want to say that Sugar Land has no need for low-income housing. There are already some and adding more is a bad idea. Contrary to what some think, major cities do no need large amounts of cheap housing to be viable.
It is clear that Sobti's plan will not work along Old Richmond Road. He needs to instead consider building his place in southern Houston.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:27 PM

8,895 posts, read 19,997,888 times
Pretty much nobody wants section 8 housing near their neighborhood so most all will oppose them - even in Southern parts of Houston. They can't cluster them all in one area - that does breed problems when poverty is isolated in mass. It is a necessary part of existence but it is a necessary thing that is best spread out vs. in mass clusters.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:41 PM

Texas7, in the case of the 77047 zip code there is only one other TDHCA-supported complex, so in that case it would not be clustered. Plus if you look at aerial maps there are scores of patches of undeveloped land. The Section 8 housing could be in the middle of prairieland. It could be along Max Road between Schurmier Road and the Beltway. There's hardly anything over there.

In the case of northeast Fort Bend County there are already several low income projects there, so there would be "clustering" there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Pretty much nobody wants section 8 housing near their neighborhood so most all will oppose them - even in Southern parts of Houston. They can't cluster them all in one area - that does breed problems when poverty is isolated in mass. It is a necessary part of existence but it is a necessary thing that is best spread out vs. in mass clusters.

Old 04-12-2009, 03:21 PM

EDIT: I found the TDHCA locator only shows vacancies, so there may be some more in that zip code. But if you see a satellite image of it you will see how barren the zip code is.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:05 PM

12 posts, read 36,827 times
One more point:

This is a TDHCA TAX CREDIT development.

This is NOT a subsidized housing program or Section 8 housing. All residents are responsible for the full amount of rent each month, ther are no vouchers.

Old 04-12-2009, 05:22 PM

627 posts, read 1,621,849 times

What does low income housing mean? Are you all referring to apartments?

Are people who are renting apartments not welcome?

I am educated (more than a masters degree) and I have a good job. I can't afford buying a house now (I am in my 20s). Are people like me not welcome to live in these neighborhoods?

Old 04-12-2009, 07:05 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by equalityofman View Post
One more point:

This is a TDHCA TAX CREDIT development.

This is NOT a subsidized housing program or Section 8 housing. All residents are responsible for the full amount of rent each month, ther are no vouchers.
The developer of the project wants $2mil in tax funds to help build it.
And yes the rents would be very low in comparison to other area apts. Spin it any way you want, but it is still technically low-income housing.

So are you the one hired to do PR for the development? Or are you in real estate development for this complex?
You've yet to answer that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor2007 View Post
I am educated (more than a masters degree) and I have a good job. I can't afford buying a house now (I am in my 20s). Are people like me not welcome to live in these neighborhoods?
You are certainly not the typical type of resident who would be living in this kind of development. I've heard personal stories from people who have and let's just say, you'd probably move out after you've had enough.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:22 PM

627 posts, read 1,621,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
You are certainly not the typical type of resident who would be living in this kind of development. I've heard personal stories from people who have and let's just say, you'd probably move out after you've had enough.

Why don't you share some of these stories with us, so we all can better understand where you stand.

Last edited by Visitor2007; 04-12-2009 at 08:02 PM..

Old 04-12-2009, 08:27 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,841,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visitor2007 View Post

Why don't you share some of these stories with us, so we all can better understand where you stand.
Sent you a DM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston