Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2009, 10:22 AM

3 posts, read 6,014 times

Advertisements

First of all, thank to the original poster and the helpful information out there to stop this from happening. I have been emailing as much as I can and putting out fliers to help our residents know about this.

I do not want my tax dollars paying for this, my property value dropping, more traffic, more crime, an extra burden on an already overpopulated school that my daughter will be attending next year.

If you don't live here say what you will but you don't get a vote. We aren't snobs just because we live here. We moved here for a better life and at least for my family both of us work very hard to make that life for our daughter come true. It's easy for others to critize us because they aren't having to deal with it.

We are seeing that dream drift away if this happens because one gets in then it opens the door for more.

So to my fellow residents please attend the meeting if you can and write letters to the officials - it's important we take a united stand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 10:29 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,314,868 times
What so sad is most people who will live there are on fixed incomes - elderly folks, college students.
Those people want a better life just like you sugar land mom we bleed, we breathe just like you and guess what there going to build it HA! You've live in Sugar Land next to prisons so whats the problem.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:36 AM

tx state

If you lived here you would understand. We rated 3rd best place in the NATION to raise a family last year for a reason.

It may or may not go through but it won't be without a fight.

You're assuming it would be college students or elderly people moving in. Some of the individuals that could live there are the ones that trully need help and will benefit and then a large part will be people who aren't motivated to better their lives, those are the ones that we are concerned with.

Again you don't live here you don't get a vote.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:40 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,124,314 times
i think its called karma. i bet you nobody moved to Sugarland (or Katy or Cypress) without bad mouthing the humble areas they came from first.

Old 04-09-2009, 10:43 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,314,868 times
Oh no I'm in Sugar land / Richmond right now off 90-A so I can say Moderator cut: language I want excuse you maam. Let Fort Bend Sheriff and SLPD deal with that aspect. Which magazine said SL was the 3rd best city let me know because I have all the rankings of the cities in FB County off the last 3 years. SL was not in the top 50, MO city was ahead you guys, the link is money.cnn.com/magazines/moneymag/bplive/2008/snapshots/PL4848804.html . I will be waiting.....
"You can stop the rain when it starts to fall."
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarlandmom View Post
tx state

If you lived here you would understand. We rated 3rd best place in the NATION to raise a family last year for a reason.

It may or may not go through but it won't be without a fight.

You're assuming it would be college students or elderly people moving in. Some of the individuals that could live there are the ones that trully need help and will benefit and then a large part will be people who aren't motivated to better their lives, those are the ones that we are concerned with.

Again you don't live here you don't get a vote.

Last edited by houstoner; 04-10-2009 at 11:05 AM.. Reason: language

Old 04-09-2009, 11:10 AM

City of Sugar Land Articles

It was 2006. Statement still stands.

I'm not furthering any arguement from you because it's pointless.

The point of this whole blog is to get the word to concerned residents. I am one. I appreciate those who are fighting to stop this from going up.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:23 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,607,390 times
Surgar Land ain't all that.

Old 04-09-2009, 02:59 PM

109 posts, read 581,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SL Living View Post
Our voices must be heard via e-mails, letters, and presence at the meeting on Monday, April 13, 2009! I would suggest starting a petition also. I am going to send this information to SL Mayor and the SL police department too! It will affect SL proper's reputation and crime statistics too.
AK123, SL Living, sugarlandmom,

Thanks for posting this information for concerned Sugar Land residents and for reaching out to those that may be affected by this development.

On this note, I would like to mention that I have been conversing with COSL City Council members about this issue, so Mayor Jimmy Thompson is well aware of the proposed development. Since the development is going to be outside of the city's jurisdiction, I would like to suggest bringing this to the attention of the Ft. Bend County Precinct Constable, rather than SLPD. However, I understand that a representative of one of the affected nearby subdivisions is a police officer himself, who actually grilled the developer's representative about safety issues at the community meeting.

The best place to start (aside from going to the hearing) would be with the elected officials of your district, as it is their civic duty to represent the best interests of their constituencies. You can look it up on your voter registration here:

FBC Registered Voter Database Lookup (http://vote.co.fort-bend.tx.us/WebVoter/default.asp - broken link)

PM me if you would like more information.

Old 04-09-2009, 03:44 PM

4,244 posts, read 8,767,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarlandmom View Post
City of Sugar Land Articles
It was 2006.
Statement still stands.
Psst... It's 2009 and we also have a new President. Just saying

Old 04-10-2009, 08:06 AM

56 posts, read 144,806 times
really helpful info and opinions forumites. i live directly across from Old Richmond Rd. Of course such a proposal impacts us negatively. there r zero positives such a development would bring to our community. we're jus like most of u - God, family, community, state, nation.

facts to oppose Goldshire Townhomes government subsidized proposed development -
1) elem, middle, and high schools are bulging already
2) crime rate is low
3) community has made significant investments on initial homestead purchases and very recent hurricane ike repairs
4) four existing apt complexes within .5/1 or less mile radius
5) proposed development (PD) wld sit smack in middle of 3 established subdivisions: Oak Lake Estates, Park Place, and Village of Oak Lake. PD would also border Pheasant Creek, Woodbridge, and Waterford.
6) community opposes government subsidized PD using our tax dollars
7) city of sugar land recently accepted the family donation of 50 acre Duhacsek Park at 17034 Old Richmond Road

Those in the area, please contact your federal, state, and local officials and voice your opposition against this proposed development. I offer a ride to women wishing to attend Monday's Public Hearing. Thanks for this forum.
Yours Truly, God Lover, Wife, Mom, Daughter, Sister, Aunt, Me.

Last edited by MIASLTX; 04-10-2009 at 09:01 AM.. Reason: more clarity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston