Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 10:01 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,519,633 times

Advertisements

I've got everything within 1.5 miles here. I had that within Uptown too. Job included. It's makes life really easy. I think I only put about 7,000 miles on my city car every year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 10:05 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,693,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I've got everything within 1.5 miles here. I had that within Uptown too. Job included. It's makes life really easy. I think I only put about 7,000 miles on my city car every year.
Yep. I live 3.2 miles from work.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:41 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,855,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittymama View Post
If you moved to Houston from elsewhere, why did you pick it? Are you satisfied with your choice?
Chose Houston for:
- Weather (don't like snow/ice)
- The super rare combo of big-city amenities (great restaurants, world-class culture/arts, museums, etc) PLUS lower cost of living/affordable homes
- Easy access to Galveston/coast; not in the middle of nowhere (like Dallas) or a long drive from the coast (like San Antonio or Austin)
- Trees/greenery and sufficient rainfall (don't like desert settings or seeing old trees die in dry spells, such as is happening in Austin right now)
- Reputation for innovation and smarties (Texas Medical Center, NASA, Rice Univ)

Notice the things I mentioned above are rather unique to Houston, especially within Texas (other Texas cities do not have all these things combined)

I wish Houston would clean up the billboards and other ugliness, raze the areas full of crime-infested apartments, and be more environmentally and aesthically aware. Nevertheless, Houston won out on other cities because of the pros. And we are obviously happy, as we have chosen to still be here after nearly a decade.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:51 AM

756 posts, read 1,884,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
I think I can answer this one. Most people who live in Montrose don't party Uptown. That's a different... uh, what's the gang term? set. Enemy territory. Okay, maybe enemy is a strong word, but it's a different kind of vibe Uptown. You won't find a Mausoleum... er Helio's... er, Avant Garden out there, for example. Besides, there's no need when you have some of the best nightlife in the city practically at your doorstep.

Also, if you live in Montrose, most anyplace you'd want or need to drive to is within a five-mile radius and less than ten minutes, easily. I think it's hard for some suburbanites to fathom, but if you live close in, you really don't drive all that much on a regular basis. It's just not as much a part of your lifestyle as if you live way out.
That's exactly right. I remember when a friend from SugarLand met us at The Next Door, a bar that has art all over the wall. At the time, there were paintings of Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfield with nuclear warheads and some other fun details in the paintings. It is an entirely different world than the burbs and even Uptown. So, why would I go to Uptown to drink or eat when many of the best restaurants are in my own neighborhood. Besides, drinking and driving, no sir, no sir.
I never said I don't own a car; I just don't use it often and certainly NEVER to go drinking. So all that money you save on renting in burbia (EEStu), I'll get when I resell my vehicle with exceptionally low mileage.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:29 PM

322 posts, read 903,976 times
AK123,

Your reasons for choosing Houston sound like good ones as they would be similar to mine. How bad do you find the summers to be? My impression from the couple of times that I've been to Houston is that it feels much hotter than some other TX cities because of the humidity.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:18 PM

214 posts, read 725,717 times
We chose Houston for all the reasons already mentioned....we love it!! Moved from Michigan and are back for Christmas and we already miss TX!

Old 12-22-2008, 01:33 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,591,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
You honestly dont own a car?!? wow that is quite a feat living in this city. You should be very proud of yourself.
There was (emphasis on "was") a place on Westheimer in the Montrose where I worked. I was one of two employees out of six or seven who drove a car to work. I only drove because I stayed some five miles away and required a couple transfers on the buses which can be a little unpredictable schedule-wise. I typically drove because I wanted to be at work on time.

For shorter, straight-shot trips this isn't an issue so much, and if you're not in an absolute hurry to get where you are trying to go, there's no reason you can't get around on METRO.

Unless you can't stand walking.....or are scared of the streets.

Where do you get this idea that you're in constant danger in Midtown anyway? Is this what people in Sugar Land tell you?

I haven't done any recently, but I've posted threads with photos, and a good deal of them have me going through at least a portion of the Midtown or Montrose area. I'm not driving in those. It's completely on foot. I look both ways before crossing streets and stay aware of my surroundings like any rational human being, and have been around there during a wide variety of hours, even at night. By myself. And I'm not carrying anything more deadly than a three-inch blade.

There's no "feat" about it.

Unless you live way out in Sugar Land or something.

Old 12-22-2008, 01:58 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,126,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
Unless you can't stand walking.....or are scared of the streets.

Where do you get this idea that you're in constant danger in Midtown anyway? Is this what people in Sugar Land tell you?

I haven't done any recently, but I've posted threads with photos, and a good deal of them have me going through at least a portion of the Midtown or Montrose area. I'm not driving in those. It's completely on foot. I look both ways before crossing streets and stay aware of my surroundings like any rational human being, and have been around there during a wide variety of hours, even at night. By myself. And I'm not carrying anything more deadly than a three-inch blade.

There's no "feat" about it.

Unless you live way out in Sugar Land or something.
you forgot to mention youre black and stoned

Old 12-22-2008, 02:01 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,591,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
you forgot to mention youre black and stoned

I am?

I can't remember if I was stoned in that picture...that was a while back.

I don't look stoned.

Anyway, what the hell does it matter?

Old 12-22-2008, 03:13 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,726,955 times
HAHAHA - good one.

The only feat I see is being content with staying in a small, crowded area. I personally like my space & freedom. On a whim I like to be able to cruise out to different sides of town to eat, buy stuff, see what's going on/up, etc. But hey- if someone can pull off living in the city core w/o a car and be content, more power to them. That's definitely not my bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston