Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 08:16 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,011,251 times

Advertisements

We go to midtown and aren't worrried about our car any more than any other area of town. However, anyone can become a victim if you are walking (particularly alone) late at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2008, 09:06 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,234,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
You're being awfully hard on Sugar Land, don't you think?
I love Sugar land, my family is out there and I go out there occasionaly as well as to Missouri City [Sienna Plantation] which is like the best master-planned area ever! It goes against all the negatives about suburbs!

Old 12-19-2008, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
You sound like you don't know the city AT ALL, and what you do know of it you're afraid to venture into...

And how old are you now? Aren't you in college? So how old were you when you moved here? 14? 15?

You're only sacrificing those things if you choose to live in the burbs in your 20's and never leave your (parents') house.

Aren't you in school at UH? I have quite a few friends who went there and they partied regularly and got involved with some amazing projects. What do you do? Just drive there for class and then back home? Honestly, it's beginning to sound like you don't have any friends.
If anyone should be complaining about school it should be me! I attend TSU!

Old 12-19-2008, 09:20 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,574,876 times
If Wizzy Jr....I mean EEstudent....feels so threatened on the mean streets of Midtown (or wherever) then maybe he needs a little protection. Maybe he should pay me to tag along and play bodyguard.

Rates are negotiable depending on how annoying/boring you are, so this might be an expensive proposal for our favorite UH student here...

Old 12-22-2008, 08:37 AM

734 posts, read 1,081,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
You sound like you don't know the city AT ALL, and what you do know of it you're afraid to venture into...

And how old are you now? Aren't you in college? So how old were you when you moved here? 14? 15?

You're only sacrificing those things if you choose to live in the burbs in your 20's and never leave your (parents') house.

Aren't you in school at UH? I have quite a few friends who went there and they partied regularly and got involved with some amazing projects. What do you do? Just drive there for class and then back home? Honestly, it's beginning to sound like you don't have any friends.
True; I do need to move out. You might have friends that had a great time going to UH, however I am an engineering student which limits my time severely (take some of my Electrical courses and you'll know what Im talking about)

And im not denying the fact that Houston isn't fun; Im just saying that you have to go out of your way to do anything; You cant just walk over to the local bar; or get dressed and head over to a club. You have to plan these kinds of things; Why? because everything is so far that even if you live within the loop you have to get into your car and make sure that everyone will meet you somewhere and then everybody has to park their car. Then you have to wait for that one or two stragglers then only can you have the time that you planned on having. Whereas in other cities you can just spontaneously walk over to someone's house or take the bus to the nearest club.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
If Wizzy Jr....I mean EEstudent....feels so threatened on the mean streets of Midtown (or wherever) then maybe he needs a little protection. Maybe he should pay me to tag along and play bodyguard.

Rates are negotiable depending on how annoying/boring you are, so this might be an expensive proposal for our favorite UH student here...

Thinking about buying a piece.

Thanks for the offer tho

Old 12-22-2008, 08:45 AM

756 posts, read 1,883,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
True; I do need to move out. You might have friends that had a great time going to UH, however I am an engineering student which limits my time severely (take some of my Electrical courses and you'll know what Im talking about)

And im not denying the fact that Houston isn't fun; Im just saying that you have to go out of your way to do anything; You cant just walk over to the local bar; or get dressed and head over to a club. You have to plan these kinds of things; Why? because everything is so far that even if you live within the loop you have to get into your car and make sure that everyone will meet you somewhere and then everybody has to park their car. Then you have to wait for that one or two stragglers then only can you have the time that you planned on having. Whereas in other cities you can just spontaneously walk over to someone's house or take the bus to the nearest club.
You need to replace all of the "You" and "Your" with "I" and "my". I live in Montrose and have never driven to a bar or club. Worst case scenario I will cab it, but 9 times out of 10, I walk to any bar in Midtown or Montrose. The vast majority of my friends live inside the loop, so I do not have any of these problems you speak of. As you stated earlier, you do need to move out. You will always have to drive because you live in Sugarland, which is basically like someone complaining about Boston when they live in Manchester, New Hampshire.

Old 12-22-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
You need to replace all of the "You" and "Your" with "I" and "my". I live in Montrose and have never driven to a bar or club. Worst case scenario I will cab it, but 9 times out of 10, I walk to any bar in Midtown or Montrose. The vast majority of my friends live inside the loop, so I do not have any of these problems you speak of. As you stated earlier, you do need to move out. You will always have to drive because you live in Sugarland, which is basically like someone complaining about Boston when they live in Manchester, New Hampshire.

You honestly dont own a car?!? wow that is quite a feat living in this city. You should be very proud of yourself. So you've never been to Rice village bars? or Uptown? o wait that could possibly be your cab ride once every ten times.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
You honestly dont own a car?!? wow that is quite a feat living in this city. You should be very proud of yourself. So you've never been to Rice village bars? or Uptown? o wait that could possibly be your cab ride once every ten times.
If you want to see Houston for what it really is; you need to get our your parents house and move closer to the loop. Why not live on campus??? If your afraid of the area, don't be. I attend TSU and I'm always out walking late at night through third ward to go to the store or see friends. Besides, how can you judge how fun Houston is when you don't even live in Houston??

If you move to the midtown section, you can walk or ride the bus to bars. It is not impossible to live in the loop without a car, but I wouldn't reccommend it.

Old 12-22-2008, 09:55 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,689,187 times
Quote:
I think I can answer this one. Most people who live in Montrose don't party Uptown. That's a different... uh, what's the gang term? set. Enemy territory. Okay, maybe enemy is a strong word, but it's a different kind of vibe Uptown. You won't find a Mausoleum... er Helio's... er, Avant Garden out there, for example. Besides, there's no need when you have some of the best nightlife in the city practically at your doorstep.

Also, if you live in Montrose, most anyplace you'd want or need to drive to is within a five-mile radius and less than ten minutes, easily. I think it's hard for some suburbanites to fathom, but if you live close in, you really don't drive all that much on a regular basis. It's just not as much a part of your lifestyle as if you live way out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston