Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2008, 09:56 PM

11 posts, read 47,716 times

Advertisements

I live in New York and I been planning to move to Houston for a cheaper way of life. The Big City is to much for me and I can't take it anymore. When I tell people I considering moving to Houston they freak. A lot of people say Houston is awful. They say the place has no culture, it's extremely Ugly, flat, hot, humid, and dumb. They also say that the place has no nite life. I was considering moving there, but after what I heard I am not sure. Are these things about Houston true?

places I've been considering were also:

Seattle
San Diego
Los Angeles
Dallas
San Antonio
El Paso

Old 12-17-2008, 10:00 PM

23,016 posts, read 34,383,749 times
The only way you will know is come see for yourself. Just because some people feel this way about Houston doesn't mean you will. It is flat and HOT, that's why I don't like it, but that's why some people love it.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:10 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varsitlity View Post
I live in New York and I been planning to move to Houston for a cheaper way of life. The Big City is to much for me and I can't take it anymore. When I tell people I considering moving to Houston they freak. A lot of people say Houston is awful. They say the place has no culture, it's extremely Ugly, flat, hot, humid, and dumb. They also say that the place has no nite life. I was considering moving there, but after what I heard I am not sure. Are these things about Houston true?

Seattle
San Diego
Los Angeles
Dallas
San Antonio
El Paso
No Culture? Were one ofthe most diverse/intergrated cities in the world.
Ugly? You'll have to decide that
Flat? of course
Hot?.....sure
Humid? Yes!
Dumb?....uhhh
no nightlife? Than why the hell am I partying almost every weekend downtown and around third ward! [Compared to NYC, it might suck if you don't have a open mind??? can't really explain but it might suck to you].

No offense, but your taking advice from people in New York I'm assuming and I honestly wouldn't take them serious. I'd suggest you come down for a week and get a feel for Houston and see if you like it. However, you will need a car and if you hate the heat, reconsider your decision.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:16 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,121,369 times
its sort of true, if you compare the culture and energy to NYC, Houston's is pretty much negligible. But like you said, you (and others including myself) move for other more important reasons.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:23 PM

6 posts, read 26,183 times
Houston has one of the largest museum districts in the nation, the best medical center in the world, lots of off-Broadway productions, a symphony... I could go on and on.

This is a bunch of New Yorkers knowing that Houston is dollar for dollar, person for person, head and shoulders above them in just about every way.

Houston is "a great place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit there." We're no hotter than Washington, DC, over all, except for maybe in the Winter, when they get snow. Hot and humid summers are the norm there, as well.

Houston is a great place, once you get used to it. The problem with New Yorkers is that nothing compares to New York in their worldview, and to have a free-and-easy, non-union, conservative, and PROSPEROUS city like Houston around just makes their shorts tighten up just thinking about it.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:37 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,215,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
its sort of true, if you compare the culture and energy to NYC, Houston's is pretty much negligible. But like you said, you (and others including myself) move for other more important reasons.
I agree with you for once. People do move here for jobs or because it's cheap, but once here lots of people fall in love with Houston and never leave (excluding Wys lol). We also get lots of college students, people trying to make it in the hip hop industry, etc. Houston offers almost as much as NYC except on a smaller scale (We have upscale neighborhoods, skyscrapers, urban living, public transit (ok a little bit of it), upscale shopping areas, theatres, plays, nightlife, etc). You almost can't compare Houston to NYC because they'e two completely different cities.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:39 PM

5 posts, read 12,222 times
Ive been to NYC once, and i loved it. but to really compare both of them just doesnt work, they are different types of cities! But Houston has plenty to do, including cultural stuff like museums and symphonies and plays. sports and shopping and a beach. things here may not be AS top notch as NYC in terms of shops and restuarants but we still have plenty of good stuff. Not to mention much cheaper to live here, maybe they are jealous of that??? I dunno, but I think houston has a lot to offer anyone. and ANY place has its good and bad weather moments, as in we deal with hot summers but we dont freeze to death in th winter.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
The only way you will know is come see for yourself. Just because some people feel this way about Houston doesn't mean you will. It is flat and HOT, that's why I don't like it, but that's why some people love it.

your right I'll come and see for myself, because I really think I'll like Houston.

Old 12-17-2008, 10:52 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,566,362 times
Quote:
Houston has more culture than Chicago, less than NYC. Downtown Houston is nice, but it's dead. There are lots of beautiful neighborhoods and a lot of ugly ones, just like NYC. It's flatter than a pancake, but last I checked NYC wasn't in the Rockies. It's hot and humid in the summer, but nice in the winter. Heat doesn't bother me much. To me it's nice 9 or more months out of the year with July, August and September being overly hot. The nightlife is fine since you can find what you want in Houston. Sometimes it's not right in your face, but it's there. As for people being dumb, that's relative. Are we really any dumber than people that are willing to live in a state where the governor is a blind coke addict and soda is about to be taxed 18 percent? Self rightousness and arrogance does not equal intelligence. As for the other cities you mention:

Quote:

Seattle
San Diego
Los Angeles
Dallas
San Antonio
El Paso
Seattle-Dreary, lacking in culture, beautiful physical setting
San Diego-Expensive, beautiful weather, boring, beautiful physical setting
Los Angeles-A great city overall. I love L.A.
Dallas-It's Houston's pretentious cousin
San Antonio-Boring, boring, boring and lacking in culture, although the hill country is nearby
El Paso-You have to be kidding me!

Old 12-17-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post

El Paso-You have to be kidding me!

yeah I know. I was thinking if Houston and Dallas don't work out than El paso.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston