Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 12:05 PM

734 posts, read 1,084,104 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Sigh. I almost think you're joking. Do people really still think these things in 2008? It never ceases to amaze me how people from supposedly well-educated, wordly and well-traveled places (these are people in NY telling you this?) can be so ignorant and... well, stupid. I mean, half of these things you mention are just stereotypes. Have you bothered to ask any of these people if they've ever actually been to Houston in recent times?

No culture? Houston has the 2nd largest theatre district after NYC. It ranks 3rd in the country in amount of fine arts museum space. The Museum of Natural Science is one of the most visited in the entire country. Houston is one of only a handful of US cities with permanent theatre, symphony, opera and ballet programs. Houston is also very international and ranks 3rd in number of foreign consulates. Houston almost always makes the top 5-10 lists for best restaurant cities in the country. That's just the half of it. Why would the 4th largest US city not come with the usual big-city amenities?

Dumb? Houston is headquarters to the country's energy and chemical industry. There's also the Texas Medical Center (largest grouping of hospitals and medical research in THE WORLD, and NASA (Houston is headquarters to the US manned space flight program). Rice University is considered new Ivy League. Last time I checked, a city having a large number of physicians, researchers, rocket scientists, engineers and even astronauts wouldn't be considered "dumb."

Ugly? Houston has lots of huge trees, lush greenery and interesting architecture. There are lots of little waterways (creeks and bayous) and even a bay and water recreation on the southeast side (Houston ranks 3rd in the country in number of pleasure boats). The only things ugly are the freeways and some of the less desirable parts of town.

So the only thing you have right is it's flat, and hot. That's it.

Go back and tell all these people that, and see how their faces look then.

Seattle - Nice. But weather can get dreary and tiresome.
San Diego - a bit overrated. And expensive. But not bad.
L.A. - You may like it, but it's also expensive.
Dallas - an uglier (landscape-wise) and more snobby version of Houston. Does not have the large trees, lush greenery and nearby beaches like Houston.
San Antonio - Okay. But much less dynamic and international than Houston. Also cannot touch Houston on the restaurants or arts/culture.
El Paso - are you joking? (no offense to El Paso)
Wow that is some credible stuff that AK is presenting. Cannot deny the facts; it is great to see that Houston has such great "culture" centers. But one also cannot deny that these places would be much more frequented and ranked much higher if the city had reasonable transportation and wasnt so spread out. Imagine if Houston had smart zoning and a rail line; these places would be at least twice as good.

I've mentioned this before; Houston is a great place to get a job and advance your career; the Oil and gas industry provides endless oppurtunities to professionals in any field. TMC is one of the worlds best so there are even more oppurtunities to the medical field. But i wouldnt consider NASA "in" Houston; NASA is in a suburb of Houston(probably because you cant launch space ships in a metropolitan area). The beach sucks; its dirty and looks like crap (im talking about Galveston; which i assume is what you were referring to).

Rice and UH are great schools within Houston so there is alot of intellectuals that reside in Houston.

As for Boyou's are you kidding me! maybe 3 out of the many different boyous is actually clean and pleasant. Boyou's are dirty waterways that at times smell horrendous. And yes there are many other things ugly in Houston other than the highways; STRIP MALLS! these things are everywhere (even in downtown)!! they rob the real arhitecture that houston has(which is very limited)

So to the OP; AK has many credible sources which you can go and tell your NYC cronies; he still has gotten some of the things horrifically out of scope.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:20 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,869,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
The beach sucks; its dirty and looks like crap (im talking about Galveston; which i assume is what you were referring to).

As for Boyou's are you kidding me! maybe 3 out of the many different boyous is actually clean and pleasant. Boyou's are dirty waterways that at times smell horrendous.
When is the last time you've been to Galveston? It's not that bad. Have you been to many other beaches around the US? Most of them don't look like Florida or the Caribbean. No one should expect Galveston to either. And it's not as dirty as you make it out to be. We usually go several times a year.

Bayous aren't clean but they are scenic (compared to just having flat grassland for example). It's the same with rivers in river cities (would you swim in the Riverwalk in San Antonio or New Orleans)? And the bayous are usually surrounded by nature preserves and/or parks. Very nice to look at and live near.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:22 PM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,132,046 times
Quote:
No culture? Houston has the 2nd largest theatre district after NYC. It ranks 3rd in the country in amount of fine arts museum space.
just mumble/cough when you get to those words, when you tell your friends about Houston's *assets*

Old 12-18-2008, 12:26 PM

5,429 posts, read 14,869,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
just mumble/cough when you get to those words.
You need to get off the computer and go plan a weekend of fun here. Who knows, you may actually enjoy yourself!

Old 12-18-2008, 12:30 PM

Quote:
You need to get off the computer and go plan a weekend of fun here. Who knows, you may actually enjoy yourself!
you need to admit youre too old to want a better houston, not size/space but quality/support, not vagueness making it look like houston is 2nd, third, fourth on something LOL. better yet why dont you give me an idea what a fun weekend here for you. have at it

Old 12-18-2008, 01:15 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,288,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
Wow that is some credible stuff that AK is presenting. Cannot deny the facts; it is great to see that Houston has such great "culture" centers. But one also cannot deny that these places would be much more frequented and ranked much higher if the city had reasonable transportation and wasnt so spread out. Imagine if Houston had smart zoning and a rail line; these places would be at least twice as good.

I've mentioned this before; Houston is a great place to get a job and advance your career; the Oil and gas industry provides endless oppurtunities to professionals in any field. TMC is one of the worlds best so there are even more oppurtunities to the medical field. But i wouldnt consider NASA "in" Houston; NASA is in a suburb of Houston(probably because you cant launch space ships in a metropolitan area). The beach sucks; its dirty and looks like crap (im talking about Galveston; which i assume is what you were referring to).

Rice and UH are great schools within Houston so there is alot of intellectuals that reside in Houston.

As for Boyou's are you kidding me! maybe 3 out of the many different boyous is actually clean and pleasant. Boyou's are dirty waterways that at times smell horrendous. And yes there are many other things ugly in Houston other than the highways; STRIP MALLS! these things are everywhere (even in downtown)!! they rob the real arhitecture that houston has(which is very limited)

So to the OP; AK has many credible sources which you can go and tell your NYC cronies; he still has gotten some of the things horrifically out of scope.
Beverly Hills isn't in LA and Miami Beach isn't Miami, so what's your point??? Also the first man on the moon didn't say "Houston....we have a problem" for nothing. Strip malls aren't only in Houston, so once agian...what is your point??? You guys are way too stuck on the fact that Houston has bad public transit and let it stop you from getting out and seeing Houston and accepting it for what it is.

Houston's attractions are actually pretty centralized compared to other cities. You have the museum district,theatre district,TMC,Zoo,Malls,bars,clubs,etc all within less than 10 miles from eachother. You live in the suburbs.... the suburbs does not equal Houston. Your telling someone Houston sucks and how much you hate it here because lack of culture and entertainment when you dont even live in Houston!

Wys, no need to waste any time telling you about Houston's hot spots when you don't even attempt to go out and have fun. You work right in the middle of it all, but afraid of crime. Your just a workaholic who really needs to get out more besides only driving to work and back.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:26 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,626,437 times
Quote:
better yet why dont you give me an idea what a fun weekend here for you. have at it
You've been here for....how long again? And you still haven't figured it out on your own?

Old 12-18-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Wys, no need to waste any time telling you about Houston's hot spots when you don't even attempt to go out and have fun. You work right in the middle of it all, but afraid of crime. Your just a workaholic who really needs to get out more besides only driving to work and back.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA its either vagueness or being 'secretive' or waste of energy being specific.

jfre, pics of main street night life pretty please?

Old 12-18-2008, 01:28 PM

756 posts, read 1,886,056 times
Quote:
you need to admit youre too old to want a better houston, not size/space but quality/support, not vagueness making it look like houston is 2nd, third, fourth on something LOL. better yet why dont you give me an idea what a fun weekend here for you. have at it
And enter Mr. Misery, AKA Debbie Downer. I imagine anybody's weekend is dramatically more fun than sitting around, twiddling your thumbs and whining and moaning about Houston.
How is he being vague? Stating the facts is vague? Man, you've got quite an inferiority complex.
You are more than welcome to move out at anytime; you won't be missed.

Old 12-18-2008, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfre81 View Post
You've been here for....how long again? And you still haven't figured it out on your own?
what? no. tell me then. takes pic of your fun weekends and post here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston