Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 09:59 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,288,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoolbro View Post
Let's not stretch the truth. Houston has plenty to offer, but lets not allow the Houston boosterism to get out of hand. Houston still has a ways before it is on par with the top 3 biggest cities in this country IMHO.
It's an opinion....I don't agree, but you'll shocked to hear some people from CHicago consider Houston much better. I got a friend who plays basketball for TSU from Chicago and he says Chicago can't touch Houston when it comes to nightlife and sexy women.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:02 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,288,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEstudent View Post
Whoa exactly 28 mins. you timed it?!?

You dont think that's a bit too much time? Thats an hour just on the road; you still think its not too far?!?

But to the museum district that's actually good time... you must be haulin' a** out there.
Sugarland to Uptown/Downtown is really not a long ride. I've took 59 from Sugarland to Downtown all the time and you really get use to it. Just because your miserable here in Houston don't mean everyone else is.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:02 AM

5 posts, read 10,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Houston has more culture than Chicago, less than NYC.

Had to chime in here. This statement is in no way true. I moved to Houston from downtown Chicago about two years ago.

"Culture" here is a decent set of museums spread all over the place, and a good zoo. The music scene is nowhere near Chicago or NYC. The live theater scene is the same. Dining, while decent here in Houston, doesnt have the top end of other major cities. Theres lots of good mid level dining, and the BBQ is tops, but there simply arent that many places that will wow you with innovative food and cooking methods like you find in the Chicago or NYC scenes. Nightlife.. meh, its ok at best.
Yeah, tell me all about the montrose, heights, et al scenes. If youve spent time in NYC or Chicago, they dont come close. Not even in the same ballpark.

This is coming from soneone who doesnt mind it here in Houston. I dont regret my move, but it does represent a change in prioritization. I grew up and lived through my 20s in Chicago, and I would have hated it here in Houston during that time. As I got a little older, started exploring buying property, putting down roots, etc, Houston's appeal really began to shine. Houstons positives is that its so livable, affordable, full of friendly people and comfortable neighborhoods, and has access to major travel hubs (intl airports, good highways when not during rush hour, etc.)

Old 12-18-2008, 10:10 AM

725 posts, read 1,243,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
It's an opinion....I don't agree, but you'll shocked to hear some people from CHicago consider Houston much better. I got a friend who plays basketball for TSU from Chicago and he says Chicago can't touch Houston when it comes to nightlife and sexy women.
Totally true. If you are young and single there's no better place in the country to be. Chicago's up there though!

Old 12-18-2008, 10:12 AM

439 posts, read 1,244,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I'm only speaking as a native Chicagoan who now lives in Houston. I don't want to turn this into a Chicago vs. Houston debate. I'm not saying Chicago is all that and a bag of chips and Houston sucks. They're both great cities with a lot to offer. And both are very different from one another. I just think Houston has a ways to go before it can reach chitown's prominence. Houston is one of those cities we're always forced to defend. "Houston's a great city, really it is." Trully great and prominent cities shouldn't have that problem.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:14 AM

734 posts, read 1,084,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
Totally true. If you are young and single there's no better place in the country to be. Chicago's up there though!
you must be high

Old 12-18-2008, 10:19 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,132,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
I don't think your view of Houston is more accurate...it is just "your" view.
its the 'I came from NYC too' view. big difference from the 'I-came-from-Seattle'. yours count too of course

Old 12-18-2008, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
You can't find one pub between downtown and Alief?
see thats the deal with commuting and livelier cities. the bar/coffee/breakfast comes to you by being on your way to your ride or office. if your parking garage/lot has a time limit/closing time or tends to be dangerous at night (ghosttown downtown) then going for a drink isnt as enticing, even with co workers. I go thru highways and tollroads (like many people) and live very close to the highway (getting to work is #1) so yes no homey bars on my way so I do prefer and wish the 'bar' is near the toyota center near my work

Old 12-18-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindcrime View Post
Had to chime in here. This statement is in no way true. I moved to Houston from downtown Chicago about two years ago.

"Culture" here is a decent set of museums spread all over the place, and a good zoo. The music scene is nowhere near Chicago or NYC. The live theater scene is the same. Dining, while decent here in Houston, doesnt have the top end of other major cities. Theres lots of good mid level dining, and the BBQ is tops, but there simply arent that many places that will wow you with innovative food and cooking methods like you find in the Chicago or NYC scenes. Nightlife.. meh, its ok at best.
Yeah, tell me all about the montrose, heights, et al scenes. If youve spent time in NYC or Chicago, they dont come close. Not even in the same ballpark.

This is coming from soneone who doesnt mind it here in Houston. I dont regret my move, but it does represent a change in prioritization. I grew up and lived through my 20s in Chicago, and I would have hated it here in Houston during that time. As I got a little older, started exploring buying property, putting down roots, etc, Houston's appeal really began to shine. Houstons positives is that its so livable, affordable, full of friendly people and comfortable neighborhoods, and has access to major travel hubs (intl airports, good highways when not during rush hour, etc.)
exactly my opinion and view of houston, but better worded than i could ever do :

if youre young and did not get stuck with your college sweetheart then youre missing a lot waiting to get old(maturing) in Houston. but 'Ignorance is bliss', 'what you dont know wont hurt you', whatever Houstonians. I'm a foreigner but got sucked into NYC abruptly with no warning and it was firkin awesome. I am thankful for that experience (umm still a bit abrupt) and if I could convince americans to live a fuller youthful life in your own world reknowned cities (if you can) then I would feel I have paid forward

now, which forum should I go to to convince americans to try to learn from foreigners or even take back technology jobs from us? gotta pay this forward too

Old 12-18-2008, 11:44 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,869,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varsitlity View Post
I live in New York and I been planning to move to Houston for a cheaper way of life. The Big City is to much for me and I can't take it anymore. When I tell people I considering moving to Houston they freak. A lot of people say Houston is awful. They say the place has no culture, it's extremely Ugly, flat, hot, humid, and dumb. They also say that the place has no nite life. I was considering moving there, but after what I heard I am not sure. Are these things about Houston true?
Sigh. I almost think you're joking. Do people really still think these things in 2008? It never ceases to amaze me how people from supposedly well-educated, wordly and well-traveled places (these are people in NY telling you this?) can be so ignorant and... well, stupid. I mean, half of these things you mention are just stereotypes. Have you bothered to ask any of these people if they've ever actually been to Houston in recent times?

No culture? Houston has the 2nd largest theatre district after NYC. It ranks 3rd in the country in amount of fine arts museum space. The Museum of Natural Science is one of the most visited in the entire country. Houston is one of only a handful of US cities with permanent theatre, symphony, opera and ballet programs. Houston is also very international and ranks 3rd in number of foreign consulates. Houston almost always makes the top 5-10 lists for best restaurant cities in the country. That's just the half of it. Why would the 4th largest US city not come with the usual big-city amenities?

Dumb? Houston is headquarters to the country's energy and chemical industry. There's also the Texas Medical Center (largest grouping of hospitals and medical research in THE WORLD, and NASA (Houston is headquarters to the US manned space flight program). Rice University is considered new Ivy League. Last time I checked, a city having a large number of physicians, researchers, rocket scientists, engineers and even astronauts wouldn't be considered "dumb."

Ugly? Houston has lots of huge trees, lush greenery and interesting architecture. There are lots of little waterways (creeks and bayous) and even a bay and water recreation on the southeast side (Houston ranks 3rd in the country in number of pleasure boats). The only things ugly are the freeways and some of the less desirable parts of town.

So the only thing you have right is it's flat, and hot. That's it.

Go back and tell all these people that, and see how their faces look then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varsitlity View Post
places I've been considering were also:

Seattle
San Diego
Los Angeles
Dallas
San Antonio
El Paso
Seattle - Nice. But weather can get dreary and tiresome.
San Diego - a bit overrated. And expensive. But not bad.
L.A. - You may like it, but it's also expensive.
Dallas - an uglier (landscape-wise) and more snobby version of Houston. Does not have the large trees, lush greenery and nearby beaches like Houston.
San Antonio - Okay. But much less dynamic and international than Houston. Also cannot touch Houston on the restaurants or arts/culture.
El Paso - are you joking? (no offense to El Paso)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston