Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2008, 04:56 PM

12 posts, read 61,043 times

Advertisements

Hello ...

My husband, 6 month old girl, & dog are looking to buy a home in Heights "area". We looked at home in Brook smith - any information about this area? Also we looked at a couple of places on E 27th street - is that too close to freeway? I know it is Sunset heights - but is it a good area?

I have always lived sugarland and have little knowledge of inner houston area and feel SO overwhelmed ...

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 05:48 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,830,855 times
Brookesmith, Sunset Heights & Lindale Park are the usual choices for people that are priced out of the Heights proper. The "spillover" effect from the Heights has certainly benefited these areas and I think that will continue. At this stage I would expect a better deal in those areas than in areas west of Main, (Heights, Woodland Heights, Norhill, etc.) Generally speaking the houses are not as interesting IMO. They play sort of "second fiddle" to the other areas further west/sw. Right or wrong, there is resistance to going east of Main for a lot of Heights area buyers. Increasing gentrification will eventually change that.

Brookesmith is unrestricted with a lot of the houses being pretty small, many still in disrepair, once the economy picks back up again many of those bungalows will probably be replaced by towering hardi-plank and stucco town houses. If that is a good or bad thing depends upon your point of view.

I would include Lindale Park Lindale Park Civic Club, Houston Texas in your search as well. There are some similar priced areas just across 610, some sections of Shepherd Forest, east of the bayou, and Oak Forest.

As far as anything being to close to the freeway, that is up to you. Go to it and look and listen and see for yourself.

Are you looking at single family homes or patio/town homes?

Old 12-07-2008, 08:36 PM

Hello modster ...

First thank you for your response! We are looking for a single family, but with that being said we would consider a patio home as long as there is some closed in green space for our dog to enjoy the outside air at times and so we can bbq.

The house that we are considering is on the east side of main, but it really is a pretty home and seems to be lots of nice homes are it. My realtor says it would be a flip of the coin on how the area turns out.

Truly exhausted
lace7725

Old 12-07-2008, 09:14 PM

If you like the house and you can get a deal on it, then it should be okay. There is nothing wrong with Brookesmith, it just isn't as hot an area as points west. The price you get the house for needs to reflect that.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:24 PM

well actually the house in Brook smith we took out of the equation becuase it was by far the nicest house in the area. But the home we are looking at is on E 27th street

Old 12-08-2008, 07:15 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,286,774 times
Have you considered Garden Oaks or Oak Forest. Both very family friendly. Drive thru and I think you will like it!

Old 12-08-2008, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lace7725 View Post
well actually the house in Brook smith we took out of the equation becuase it was by far the nicest house in the area. But the home we are looking at is on E 27th street
Is it one of those newer build foreclosures?

Old 01-21-2009, 01:31 PM

98 posts, read 424,726 times
We live in Brookesmith - right across street from Montie Beach park. absolutely love it. We moved from Columbia st in the Heights to get away from the yuppies that were destroying the history and vibe of the Heights with their look-alike McMansions. Keep your car doors locked and use common sense and you won't have any problems. Neighbors are splendid - mostly hard working folks with strong sense of family community. We have an 8 month old and stroll the park almost daily. It's really a great place to live .. until the afore-mentioned McMansions move in. I say buy .... no where to go but up for this area.

Old 01-21-2009, 03:45 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,422,547 times
I think Garden Oaks is the most family-friendly neighborhood in all of Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: