Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 12:31 PM

98 posts, read 204,635 times

Advertisements

Forgive me if you see this twice, my first try failed to load...

Which area of the Heights is better in terms of:

1. Safety?
2. Home Appreciation over the next 5-10 years?
3. Where it is in the transitional/gentrification stage?

My husband and I are looking to buy a 3 bedroom, newer build, nice finishes, move in ready, for under 400k so that prices us out of Heights Proper. We rent a cute Garden Oaks bungalow right now, and we love the neighborhood, but we can't afford to buy what we want here.

We aren't fix it people, so we want the place to be newer and ready for move in. We LOVE the Heights and all that the area has to offer, but the only things popping up on HAR are in Shady acres/just south of Shady acres west of Shephard and Sunset. We want to get into a neighborhood before it's over the top expensive, but also want to feel safe walking our dog, etc.

Also, i see that Shady Acres is mostly on the flood plain, but i noticed a lot of the newer construction is on pier and beam foundation, so i am not sure if it's a serious issue or not.

Please send me over any insight you may have!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 01:32 PM

164 posts, read 357,307 times
1. Hard to say. IMO, both areas are comparable. However, I do know that some people feel more comfortable (for whatever reason although some are quite questionable) in Shady Acres because of how gentrified the area has become. Lots of new builds that are priced starting in the 200s. A few smaller homes ~1400 sq ft have popped up in the 170s range. Certain homes are pier and beam, but many are still slab.

My mom is happy in Shady Acres and doesn't feel that there's imminent danger. Seriously though, break-ins are *everywhere*, and most crime appears to be perpetuated by people who specifically target a certain neighborhood. None of the neighbors near her have been burglarized - for what it's worth. (There were some guys who were driving around and hitting up my neighborhood and the Heights; turns out, they were also hitting up the Galleria and surrounding areas.)

2. I think everyone would like to know their house won't be worthless in the next 5-10 years, but it's kind of hard to predict. If anything, your home should maintain its value, if not increase. Given the current economy, it seems like homes inside the loop continue to appreciate. I still look at homes in areas I was interested in buying, and the prices there have definitely gone up. I remember when you could still get a fixer upper for $165K in the Heights. Not anymore!

My mom's home was purchased as a foreclosure. She's lived in it for a year and had it appraised when she refinanced. Suffice it to say, it appraised at 40% higher than what she paid. Her neighbors purchased about two years ago but had to sell due to a move. They bought at $200K and sold in the $390s.

3. Shady Acres is very gentrified. Sunset Heights definitely has the Heights feel, and on some streets, it looks like Heights proper, but as you start approaching Main/Airline, it's a little bit rough around the edges. Lots of older homes but many have been remodeled. There are also a handful of older homes being sold at lot value as tear me downs. Demographics is working class/families.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:44 PM

I have driven around Shady Acres and I definitely don't feel like it would be unsafe. They put in a new restaurant right in the middle of the neighborhood and I am hoping that's a sign for things to come. As far as eateries/bars, i could walk to El Grand Malo, Tony's, Crisp and Cedar Creek, so that would be really cool. The only street that seemed a little sketchy was on 21st. Also, 21st near ella is in the "floodway" not just the 100 year flood plain, so I think we would need to be 23-26 and closer to Durham to avoid mandatory flood insurance.

I haven't done as much research on Sunset Heights, but i notice some pretty nice homes have popped up on HAR, and they appear to be stand alone, not part of a larger development, so looks like it would have more character. Not sure about the safety factor, driving down Main near 610, i have definitely felt like this area could be unsafe...not sure though if i am just being a weenie. Since i don't have as much experience in the area, i am not sure what cool spots are close by.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:05 PM

Hilarious! My mom lives on 21st near Durham, and she wasn't required to get flood insurance. I think anything past Ella gets a bit sketchy.

I like Sunset Heights further away from 610, closer to the touching areas surrounding the heart of the Heights. When you start moving towards Main/Airline, it gets a bit rougher in appearance, but I don't think it's much to be concerned about. I previously lived in Montrose, and there were a few occasions where people were getting robbed just a few blocks from where I lived.

Sunset Heights has local restaurants; lots of authentic Mexican restaurants. Plus, if you purchase near the Heights, you can hop into the Heights and partake of their neighborhood restaurants and shops easily.

Check out the homes, and if you're able to speak with neighbors, definitely do so. I got to talk to a lot of nice people during my house search, and they were always very helpful. Some even gave me info about the people selling the property.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:11 PM

1,408 posts, read 4,059,325 times
Sunset Heights is nice, but it really depends on the street. I think Shady Acres might have a more "safe" feeling walking around it. Since it's nestled by Oak Forest to the North, as opposed to the riff raff on the North side of Sunset Heights, it feel safer. Sunset Heights tends to be more polished in some areas and not so much in others. If you do decide on SH, then just be comfortable with the street and neighbors.

I think both should likely appreciate at the same rate. Shady Acres might have a slight advantage if Oak Forest/Garden Oaks keeps booming. I don't think you can go wrong with either area. Prices have definitely spiked in the past year in The Heights proper area.

Have you considered any of the 2-3 story townhomes on the South side of The Heights near Washington Ave. Area's like Rice Military might have some real nice options and it would put you closer to Memorial Park as well. Just something to consider.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:12 PM

Hahaha, I know it's all appearances, but we would LOVE to live in Hyde Park or Montrose, and I am pretty sure those areas are higher in crime, but they are just so cool! Haha, I am a walking contradiction.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:19 PM

Thanks for both of your replies, by the way .

We have looked some at Rice Military. We like the portion south of Washington, but haven't found much with a yard (we have two dogs). The portion north of I-10 feels too cramped for me, it's next to the train, and it seems like the distinction between nice and not nice is very blatant.

Do you know much about the Sawyer Heights area? Isn't that down Washington, closer to downtown...near Beavers and Darkhorse Tavern? That area looks transitional, yet kind of cool, but i know pretty much nothing about it.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:46 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,974,756 times
I live in the Sawyer Heights area, it is up and coming. More properties being built and the area is going to get pricy very soon.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:48 PM

Sawyer Heights has transitioned but again, some areas are still a bit rough. However, I don't think it'll fulfill your needs. If you're looking for a SFH, most of the properties in that area are townhouses that are built up. As such, the lots are incredibly tiny.

Have you looked into Old Sixth Ward? I lost out on a property within my means there, but man, if I had the funds, I'd move there in a heart beat. Close to downtown, still has the charm of a quaint neighborhood, good access to Memorial to get to Montrose and the Heights.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:55 PM

OK, i think i am confusing Sawyer Heights with Old 6th Ward. I am thinking of this little neighborhood just north of memorial and south of washington, with Beaver's nearby. Old victorians and some newer construction as well. That area looks really neat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston