Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2008, 03:11 PM

13 posts, read 70,457 times

Advertisements

I recently moved back to Houston, and haven't kept up with the trends for all the different Houston neighborhoods.

What is your general impression of the Sunset Heights area? Is it more transitional than the southern areas of the Heights? Does proximity to N. 610 limit land appreciation there? How are the schools? Do all the 6000 square feet lots that get split up into smaller lots hurt long term appreciation of new construction there due to sitting on less land? My fiancee and I are looking to buy a house to live in for the next 5 or 6 years, but don't want to lose what we paid when we eventually sell it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 03:35 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,836,288 times
The houses in Sunset Heights are generally not as architecturally interesting as those in the Heights proper, and prices there and in neighboring Brookesmith tend to reflect that I think.

In the last several years Heights has gotten even more trendy, and unfortunately (IMO) has seen a lot of the bungalows fall in favor of new construction. Generally I would think you would pay more in Heights than in Sunset Heights. There is a move afoot, or there was, to establish prevailing lot size applications in Sunset Heights, not sure how extensive that is/was.

A lot depends on the overall market conditions and if things continue to decline or improve. That area is strong right now and I expect it will continue to be so. You might also check in Brookesmith and also Lindale Park, Lindale Park Civic Club, Houston Texas if you have not done so already.

Old 08-19-2008, 03:42 PM

18 posts, read 72,520 times
I've been househunting in the Greater Heights area in the past couple of months, and Sunset Heights is in the more transitional part. You can probably do pretty well there, though, if you don't get too close to Main. I think it will probably do pretty well value-wise, thanks to its proximity to downtown now that gas prices are so high.

That being said, there is something you should know about those 6000 square foot lots. When Sunset Heights was first built, it was intended to be a working class neighborhood primarily for the folks who worked for the people in the big houses in Houston Heights. The original houses were small homes on 3000 sf lots. As time went by, people bought up those 3000 sf lots two at a time and built houses on these doubled lots. Technically, most of those 6000 sf lots are still really two 3000 sf lots, and a developer would not have to do any dividing or replatting or whatever else they have to do to divide up a lot. So there's a pretty good chance you'll be seeing more "development" going on there. I'm not entirely sure what the deed restriction situation is there, since I wound up finding something in another area I liked better before my research got that far.

Wherever you decide to look, be sure to do thorough research!

Old 08-19-2008, 03:45 PM

Have you also considered Eastwood as an alternative to the Heights? http://www.eastwood-houston.com

Old 08-19-2008, 04:38 PM

95 posts, read 338,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modster View Post
Have you also considered Eastwood as an alternative to the Heights? Eastwood Civic Association
Beware, "modster" is churning out self serving advice. He's a realtor and has a listing for sale in Lindale Park and frequently has listings in Eastwood.

If you're looking for appreciation, then buy something with as much land under it as you can afford...a little townhouse on 1500 sqft of dirt will have limited appreciation potential. Houses really close to 610 will have limited appreciation, as will houses in the flood plain...of which there are many.

Old 08-19-2008, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starkeshia View Post
Beware, "modster" is churning out self serving advice. He's a realtor and has a listing for sale in Lindale Park and frequently has listings in Eastwood.

If you're looking for appreciation, then buy something with as much land under it as you can afford...a little townhouse on 1500 sqft of dirt will have limited appreciation potential. Houses really close to 610 will have limited appreciation, as will houses in the flood plain...of which there are many.
I have no listings in Eastwood and the lone one in Lindale is in inspection period. If I was/am using the board to "troll" for business or self serving interest, I think I have done a lousy job of it. I stand by the accuracy of my recommendations and anyone that has read very many of my posts should to be able to decide for themselves if I know what I am talking about.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:17 PM

44 posts, read 153,157 times
I agree... Modster gives unbiased opinions. He has mentioned many different areas to my for my search criteria, such as Garden Oaks, Timbergrove, etc...

On a side note, I just moved to Houston a month ago and will be looking to buy a house sometime soon. I am very interested in the Heights but when I drive though ti seems very transient in a lot of areas. I would like to know exactly which part of the Heights I need to look at, the area that is less transient and is well established. Thanks

Old 09-22-2008, 12:04 PM

469 posts, read 1,485,515 times
It is overall a transitional area but is rapidly improving and historically in any city this tends make for better than average appreciation. Anytime you notice a new up and comming or early stages of being the new hot spot it is a good idea to purchase. Assuming that you can handle the early transient stages.

Old 09-22-2008, 12:14 PM

469 posts, read 1,485,515 times
starkeshia,

I am going to have to disagree with you on this one. I think modster's advice was pretty good and furthermore I didn't even realize that he was an agent. Despite that he has been a long time member of the board and never banned, I believe that says something.

Modster you owe me five bucks! Just Kidding.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 4,919 times
Default Ridgemont

Does anyone know anything about Ridgemont? It's a couple blocks tucked away surrounded by Woodland Heights. The deed restrictions are ancient. Can you subdivide the lots there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: