Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2007, 04:39 PM

2 posts, read 19,155 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
We are moving to houston area in july 2007. I'll be working in Tomball and my spouse in texas medical center. We are looking for a safe community with good schools(elementary schools). I have read good things about the woodlands and cypress. which community has good schools,access to shopping, airport.
I would like get your opinion.
Thanks.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2007, 06:48 AM

1,336 posts, read 6,448,978 times
Both communities are very nice with great schools.

Demographically similar, 80+% Anglo with Average HH Income North of $100K. Some of the lowest crime rates in the Houston area.

The Woodlands offers more cohesive development controls as it is currently operated by the developer. It's Town Center and retail is built and in place and it is really nice. The Woodlands is moving towards incorporation in 2014 and will likely become its own distinct city separate from Houston.

Cypress, offers a great deal of choice with regards to the type and style of your neighborhoods: ranging from acreage with horse stables, to lakeside and ranch communities to forested master-planned communities. Half of Cypress is forested like The Woodlands, half is open-ranchland prairie offering a pretty diverse array of styles. Good retail has yet to catch up to Cypress' rapid growth over the past 10 years, however you are 20 minutes away from Memorial City Mall and Willowbrook, and 10 minutes from the new Luxury Lifestyle/Town Center at Vintage Park (249 & Louetta) which will have top-name retailers, restaurants and a Central Market HEB.

(In my experience, below the $250k price point the homes in The Woodlands were a bit chintzier than those you would find in Cypress, on the flipside you have very strong developmental controls in the Common areas throughout the community - which IMO adds value to the community whereas in Harris county you are at the mercy of the County with regards to roads and signage. note: there's currently a grass-roots movement underway to re-incorporate Cypress)

Traffic to Downtown is rather brutal for both, as for many in the Woodlands it takes nearly 30-minutes just to get out of the Woodlands (add another 30-45 from there)...same story for Cypress as 290 is one of the most congested arteries in Greater Houston. Cypress has faster access to the Galleria and Energy Corridor, neither offers very quick access to the Med Center (look at Pearland or Sugar Land or Kingwood).

Association fees are slightly higher in the Woodlands, however insurance rates and utilities are slightly lower. Call it a wash.

Check out my Cypress pics here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/longwoo...7594383900219/

Last edited by Mr. Football; 01-22-2007 at 06:57 AM..

Old 01-22-2007, 11:21 PM

2 posts, read 19,155 times
Thank you very much Mr.Football.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston