Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2008, 08:54 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,742,922 times

Advertisements

Tortillas will do that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 03:54 PM

2 posts, read 4,540 times
I would say Galveston is better now than it used to be.

There used to be lots of oil in the water and it would wash up on the beach.

Then I went one time while I was in high school and there was seaweed everywhere.

Also, there is a problem with jelly fish washing up on to the shore (more than I have seen on other beaches.)

I remember one time I went there was a huge pile of stinky seaweed that had been washed up with the tide and got left. It went down the beach each direction as far as I could see. It smelled terrible, had bugs and left your feet nasty feeling (itchy and gross). It had dead fish in it and everything.

I haven't been in a while but the last time I went it was better.

Old 01-05-2009, 05:16 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,040,461 times
I don't think people intend to dog Galveston as much as they do (well a few do). I think it starts out as sort of a heads-up to people who have never been to not expect a postcard beach or a Florida beach with the sugar white sands and clear emerald or blue waters. Lots of visitors enjoy it but those who travel frequently to postcard beaches are disappointed. Galveston has its good points and has its moments in the sun. I am not sure if they regularly clean up the seaweed as Florida does. Florida cleans the beaches every a.m. so even though they may have issues with marine life, seaweed, etc. from time to time - it is constantly maintained so that it isn't quite so obvious. Because I live here, I don't vacation in Galveston because I can just drive down there anytime I want, but that means I don't see what kind of routine maintenance or clean up the beaches get either.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:36 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,302,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
That second pic is REALLY nice!

You shouldn't have shown me a pic with tall palm trees... (drool, )

What are those, Mexican Fan Palms?

Overall, I'd say the beach doesn't look impressive compared to North Myrtle Beach or La Jolla in California, but it's not a bad looking beach either.

All it's missing is bigger sand dune areas and bigger waves (to surf) for me to think it's perfect.
The dunes were erased by Ike.
Galveston is a great little Island that Houstonians should cherish and visit. It is less than an hour away! Your kids can gather hermit crabs,find sand dollars and sea beans. Put their toes in the sand and feed seagulls. People that trash it must be coach potatoes looking for an excuse not to go outside and breathe the salt air!

Old 01-06-2009, 10:38 AM

2,639 posts, read 8,302,048 times
Oh....the seaweed. It is natural and we are trying to get many of the neighborhoods to quit cleaning it up. Esp now. It will help restore the beaches and dunes. So when you see it...just investigate it. Send your kids out to shake it and see what comes out. It has little crabs,shrimps and other fun things to gather and look at.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:42 AM

5,080 posts, read 9,980,786 times
Wish someone would update this thread with Galveston Beach pictures after IKE.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhnay View Post
Wish someone would update this thread with Galveston Beach pictures after IKE.

I took some video footage along the seawall and east beach on new years eve. Maybe if I get some time I'll post it on Youtube.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:55 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,437,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westres1 View Post
Oh....the seaweed. It is natural and we are trying to get many of the neighborhoods to quit cleaning it up. Esp now. It will help restore the beaches and dunes. So when you see it...just investigate it. Send your kids out to shake it and see what comes out. It has little crabs,shrimps and other fun things to gather and look at.

Who is "we"?

Old 01-06-2009, 11:02 AM

9,273 posts, read 26,534,591 times
I've seen a lot more than just crabs and shrimps come out of those weeds. No way would I suggest a kid going digging through that stuff.

Old 01-06-2009, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EasilyAmused View Post
I've seen a lot more than just crabs and shrimps come out of those weeds. No way would I suggest a kid going digging through that stuff.

Like what?

Is it similar to when it floods by that old Sears near downtown? (IOW, watch for rubbers & needles coming out of those manhole covers that flap up & down)

BTW, I've never seen anything dirty in that seaweed, but crabs aren't exactly something I'd be messing with un-gloved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston