Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 10:07 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times

Advertisements

Bolivar Island Ferry is on the east end of Galveston. It is a long line/wait to get on it - do NOT cut in line or get out of your car while waiting in line! Bolivar and Crystal Beach are pretty quiet and tame compared to Galveston. Not the big tourist attractions. There are some parts over there that you can drive on the beach. The lighthouse is right when you get off of the ferry on Bolivar but is in disrepair and owned by a private family. bummer. The ferry is free so I do recommend doing it just so you can say you did it.

Gosh, places to go and stay. We stay at Seascape Condos as they are ON the beach and not across the Seawall like most. The Galvestonian is also on the beach on the far east end while Seascape is towards the west. About 4 or some miles east of Seascape is a new condo development called Escapes that is supposed to be nice and is also ON the beach. The San Luis is BEAUTIFUL, across the street/Seawall from the beach but BEAUTIFUL views and pool area. Nice piano bar too. They have a hotel and then a building w/ privately owned condos that some are rented out. A lot stay at the Maravila (sp?), it's okay but I like being on the same side of the street as the beach and I'm not into large complexes.

See the Moody Mansion, Bishops Palace (and many, many more old historic homes that are a must). Just driving down Broadway is a treat for me. The Moody Gardens is neat. Schlitterbahn is a waterpark. They have their main park in New Branfuals (rated #1 in the nation), another in South Padre and just opened in Galveston last year. The Sea Wolf submarine is another neat thing to check out.

Restaurants, they have all of the chains and tourist traps. If you HAVE to go to the Rainforest Cafe, okay. Gaido's is GREAT (more upscale=white tablecloths), Casey's is their sibling next door and more laid back. Beano's was good. Gosh, I've got to look up all the names of places and their exact locations. One of our MUSTS is a hole in the wall dive over in the "bad" side of town but is GREAT. It is authentic mexican food and they serve the BEST breakfasts. You will see hordes of police officers and staff from the schools and medical center eating there. It is a local place and not a tourist one. Queen's Barbucue is good. Check out galveston.com on the forum for some other places. The locals really keep on top of things on there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2007, 09:50 PM

169 posts, read 678,971 times
If you're looking for casual dining, I always recommend The Spot. They have the best hamburgers around and the view is just wonderful.

Old 01-24-2007, 09:54 AM

35 posts, read 159,261 times
Default Thanks!

Bolivar Island ferry trip across to the lighthouse sounds good. We where in Pompano Beach Florida in December stayed out by a working lighthouse
thought I was in a scene from prison break with the light going on all night...lol

We are staying at Casa del mar! I'm not sure what that will be like I heard they were under renovations? The old mansions and historic buildings sound interesting?
Sea Wolf sub is that in Galveston? I have seen the web cam, also another poster mentioned The Spot! have also seen that on the web cam looks like a fun place?

Sounds like plenty to do while where their.Thanks for your time and info! also txgrl for your post....Man I wish I could type faster

Bob

Old 01-24-2007, 10:25 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,890,363 times
Well, don't expect too much w/ the lighthouse . It is pretty sad. Rusted black metal is what it looks like. Non-functioning. Sad. Private owners and no one has restored it. I know which one in Pompano, we stayed right by it also the summer of 05. Went and saw MANY lighthouses that year from Key West to the one there at the inlet by Pompano.

Yes, I heard Casa del Mar was undergoing renovations. That is the one I was thinking of. A lot of people stay there. It is located on Seawall across the street from the beach. The bad wreck when we were there happened right in front of there.

The Spot, yes been there. Eat outside on the deck. Mosquito is another good one. For breakfast try El Nopalito. It is mexican food and GREAT. It is a dive, you will drive past the "projects" (old term used for government housing) and some empty buildings to get there but it is worth it. This is the one I said will be packed w/ police officers and people from the universities and medical fields. Truly a local joint and nothing "touristy" about it.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:05 PM

Default Lighthouse

Can't wait for the day I can just tell this computer what I want to type and it will appear in front of my screen HA !! Who am I
kidding...probably burn out the darn thing trying to figure out my pronunciation of the English language...lol

Pompano! the Keys! beautiful part of the country will post a pic of that

C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\Desktop\PC060086.jpg

I will defiantly try finding those restaurants you mentioned

Thanks
Bob

Last edited by u2bob; 01-25-2007 at 02:13 PM..

Old 01-25-2007, 07:00 PM

Default I Think I Have It !

I hope this works...

Bob

Last edited by u2bob; 02-21-2007 at 05:19 AM..

Old 02-02-2007, 09:37 PM

24 posts, read 220,031 times
We have a family vacation home in Pirates Beach and love what's been happening in Galveston. I agree, the water is not Destin, FL., but I have to say where Galveston lacks in beauty it more than makes up for it in entertainment. Unlike most beach towns, Galveston is packed full of culture and entertainment. There is the new Schlitterbahn Water Park (open year round), Moody Gardens, the Flight Museum, the Strand, putt-putt golf, a movie theater, the bungee drop, fishing piers, the new Rain Forest Cafe, historic homes to tour, and much more! The Kemah Boardwalk is not too far away if you run out of things to do in Galveston and so is the Gulf Greyhound Park (if you're into dog racing). We love going down there! I think the beaches have improved tremendously since I was a child. There is no tar, the sand is always being replenished and turned over, the water seems more clear, and the waves are usually decent enough to have a good time.

Old 02-02-2007, 10:54 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,419,488 times
The Kemah Boardwalk is getting a large wooden roller coaster ride, too.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:29 AM

61 posts, read 351,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerilla View Post
The Kemah Boardwalk is getting a large wooden roller coaster ride, too.
Thank goodness

I often wondered why some of those SMART BUSINESS ENTREPRENEURS involved with ASTROWORLD did not decide to reinvest some of those same attractions into Kemah or Galveston.

What would that do for the Galveston-Houston AREA? It would be a big draw: DO YOUR BUSINESS in HOUSTON then ENJOY or ENTERTAIN yourselves in Galveston via our NEW 30 min METROGALA RAIL-LINE. OOPS, got carried away Again, maybe that is why they are smart and I am a poor DA.

But it is just heart wrenching to pass by 610 & Kirby. Anyone remember all those tall pine trees planted there around 10 years ago, just to have them re-slated a few years later. Talk about waste! Maybe Galveston, with all its attractions, just might save the day for Houston.

Old 02-03-2007, 08:59 AM

2,703 posts, read 3,419,488 times
Here is the ride:

Once this ride is up, expect more. Houston is going to have most of its new roller coasters and rides near Galveston/Kemah. I think those are the best places to have them, anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston