Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 12:59 AM

59 posts, read 426,586 times

Advertisements

Hi...we'll be moving to The Woodlands in the Village of Sterling Ridge sometime in January. Just wondering what the local social aspects of the neighborhood are. Do any of you guys live there, and if so, can you tell me if there are neighborhood gatherings, social groups to join up with, etc.? We have two small children, girl (4) and boy (5 mos.) and I was wondering if there's a good Mom's group to join. I'd also be interested in meeting up with moms or other families for exercising or some sort of organized sports. I've heard people in TX are very friendly, and I've experienced some of that when we were house hunting....I hope this is an accurate assumption. It may sound a little corny, but I'm looking forward to making friends and being part of my neighborhood almost as much as I am to moving into my new home.

Can anyone paint me an accurate picture of what life is like in the Woodlands/Sterling Ridge area for newcomers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2006, 07:28 AM

13 posts, read 87,549 times
I don't live there but my husband and I stayed in the area while we were looking in Houston. I must say that although we do not plan on living in The Woodlands, it is quite a gorgeous set-up they have there. You are going to love it and I believe that you'll have no problems whatsoever becoming involved and your children are going to love it.

I wish you all the best! Good Luck!

Old 12-27-2006, 08:33 AM

130 posts, read 677,891 times
Hi Honieb! I can't give you much insight yet but we are in a similar situation as you but probably won't be moving to The Woodlands until the summer. I am a stay at home mom of two boys (4 and 17 months) and did stumble on a few moms groups at yahoo.com. Just go there and click on groups and search for The Woodlands. I think one was called Moms of North Houston. Good luck with the move!

Old 12-27-2006, 10:23 PM

Thanks you guys. Jess, you know which part of The Woodlands you're moving to? We've opted for the newer side, Sterling Ridge. Good luck with your move, too. It really is a beautiful place; I can't wait to get there for good!

Old 12-28-2006, 11:44 AM

201 posts, read 983,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HonieB View Post
Thanks you guys. Jess, you know which part of The Woodlands you're moving to? We've opted for the newer side, Sterling Ridge. Good luck with your move, too. It really is a beautiful place; I can't wait to get there for good!

I will be moving to The Woodlands from Weston , Florida with my family in late June . Also purchased in Sterling Ridge , beautiful home that would have
cost us nearly $ 800 K in Weston !!

We loved the community and are looking forward to moving there , best thing besides the parks , good schools and entertainment venues in The Woodlands are the nice people !!

Last edited by jjnnino; 12-28-2006 at 11:45 AM.. Reason: error

Old 12-28-2006, 04:51 PM

Default Small World

I can't believe you're moving from Weston....SO ARE WE!!!!!! Right now we live in San Remo, off Indian Trace. Where are you guys? We also bought a beautiful home that would easily have cost between $800K-1M here. We're hoping to be in the new home by the end of January.

Maybe we can hook up once we're there, since we'll both be learning the area. What a coincidence.

Old 12-28-2006, 05:04 PM

130 posts, read 677,891 times
It is a small world, huh?

We are looking at Sterling Ridge as well but with our timetable (not moving until summer), Creekside may be an option too. I'd prefer not to be in Tomball ISD though so we'll probably stick to SR or perhaps a resale too. It's all still so overwhelming but we're heading down there for a visit in January to take a looksie at it all.

And I agree with you all about the housing prices--what a nice change from the Wash DC market too!

Old 12-28-2006, 07:38 PM

Default Woodlands

Hi Jess,

I've done major research as far as the best school districts are concerned in TX....and you'll be hard pressed to find better than in the Woodlands. Of course the affordable housing was what piqued our interest in TX to begin with. If we were to stay in FL we would have to enroll our children in private school...I just don't like the way the public school system is run here. I'm originally from NYC and public schools in NYC were never that great, either. So most everyone I knew went to private or parochial schools.

But I'm hoping with the way the schools in The Woodlands are being touted that we'll be able to enjoy what they have to offer. I guess this is why property taxes in TX are so high, too. But, yeah, BIG difference in housing market in both DC and FL. Good luck!

Old 12-28-2006, 08:15 PM

101 posts, read 247,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjnnino View Post
I will be moving to The Woodlands from Weston , Florida with my family in late June . Also purchased in Sterling Ridge , beautiful home that would have
cost us nearly $ 800 K in Weston !!

We loved the community and are looking forward to moving there , best thing besides the parks , good schools and entertainment venues in The Woodlands are the nice people !!
What's the zip code for Sterling Ridge?

Last edited by hotcity; 12-28-2006 at 08:26 PM..

Old 12-28-2006, 08:50 PM

Default Zip Code

Zip code for Sterling Ridge is 77382. Sterling Ridge is one of seven "villages" of The Woodlands. At present, it's the newest village.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston