Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 03:16 PM

4 posts, read 20,666 times

Advertisements

Hello. We are relocating to Houston soon and I am getting myself confused with all the research I am doing. We are looking at The Woodlands, Katy and a couple other areas. The one thing that I have read - more than once - is that The Woodlands High School is a nightmare when it comes to homework. I have read several times that the students are given no less than 3-4 hours of homework/night. Don't get me wrong, the best education is top on our list, but this would be a problem considering our child does have other activities in her life.

Also, I realize I am referring to "one" school, but I know there may be several High Schools in the district. I cannot remember if it was a specific one that I read about or the district in general. It has been a couple of months and I didn't go back to my original research, so please forgive me if I have that wrong.

I would appreciate your input - I'm just really curious and found it interesting that I read that more than once on a few different boards.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2007, 10:02 PM

11 posts, read 56,826 times
We are thinking of relocating and looking at the same areas too. I will have a high schooler and a middle schooler. I also heard similar homework stories, I also heard that the woodlands hs is very academically challenging, and crowded. I think the one I am referring to is The Woodlands High School. Our hs here is also very good, but I know the homework situation is a little less. Our kids are also involved in other activities through out the year.
I know what you mean by getting confused, I feel the same way. I try and sort through what is being said, but when an area is new, it becomes difficult to figure it out. Where are you relocating from?

Old 05-31-2007, 11:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,822 times
Well,

I live in Katy, and have a kid in Kindergarden, and let me tell you that I fell in love iwth the school, the staff, and the curriculum. If you need any information in the area, let me know.

Old 06-01-2007, 04:03 AM

66 posts, read 449,356 times
We also looked at The Woodlands and Katy.. we did choose Katy for alot of other reasons.. but one was that I have had 3 kids go through high school and I know how difficult it can be as it is.. I did hear that the woodlands high is a nightmare and I couldnt go through tougher high school years then I already have had! My child is only 8 and I know I have many years ahead of me till she gets there but.. that could one less stress realated area we can avoid! Good luck in your decsion!

Old 06-01-2007, 08:25 PM

179 posts, read 858,136 times
If you can find a copy of the school report cards that were in the Chronicle last month that would be great. 80% of The Woodlands elementary schools had 99%-100% passing on ALL AREAS of the TAKS test. The other two were above 90%. 90% of the schools were rated exemplary.

I studied that insert VERY carefully and couldn't find ANY OTHER area in the Houston area that had those stats. I was actually surprised that Klein and the CFISD school didn't do better.

Everyone raves about CFISD but looking at those and the past years numbers just don't cut it for me.

TW schools also had the lowest number of disadvantaged students and the lowest number of absences.

The Woodlands College Park High School opened last year and had the first graduation last night. This relieved crowding at the high school level.

Last edited by mom22bless; 06-01-2007 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: add something

Old 06-01-2007, 08:39 PM

2,703 posts, read 3,414,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom22bless View Post
If you can find a copy of the school report cards that were in the Chronicle last month that would be great. 80% of The Woodlands elementary schools had 99%-100% passing on ALL AREAS of the TAKS test. The other two were above 90%. 90% of the schools were rated exemplary.

I studied that insert VERY carefully and couldn't find ANY OTHER area in the Houston area that had those stats. I was actually surprised that Klein and the CFISD school didn't do better.

Everyone raves about CFISD but looking at those and the past years numbers just don't cut it for me.

TW schools also had the lowest number of disadvantaged students and the lowest number of absences.

The Woodlands College Park High School opened last year and had the first graduation last night. This relieved crowding at the high school level.
Katy I.S.D. sure does.

Old 06-02-2007, 06:08 PM

22 posts, read 96,691 times
We are also moving to Houston this summer, I have found great information on schools at this website
greatschools.net

We are concidering the woodlands, my concern is how crowded all the high schools are. My son is a freshman this year in new hampshire and we have 1400 students in our school.

Old 09-16-2010, 05:32 PM

1 posts, read 3,484 times
Yes, the woodlands high schools seem like they view homework as the basis of all education, not as a supplement to what material is being taught in class. This ruins the meaning of education, and should not be tolerated. I strongly suggest not attending any of the woodlands's high schools if you have the option to attend a high school outside of conroe isd.

Old 09-17-2010, 01:42 PM

1,232 posts, read 1,900,944 times
If someone was doing their homework, they would realize this is an ancient thread.....

Old 09-17-2010, 02:05 PM

3,333 posts, read 9,170,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozone9876 View Post
Yes, the woodlands high schools seem like they view homework as the basis of all education, not as a supplement to what material is being taught in class. This ruins the meaning of education, and should not be tolerated. I strongly suggest not attending any of the woodlands's high schools if you have the option to attend a high school outside of conroe isd.
Huh?

I have no affiliation nor love of the Woodlands, but... What do you think college is like? It's 50 minutes in the class and a ton of homework. God forbid that kids these days actually get prepared for higher education in high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston