Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 10:15 PM

219 posts, read 331,546 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Why the need for a diverse neighborhood?

I'm always a bit confused when I see this.

Is that you want to tell other people that you live in a neighborhood with ___________ people, so you don't feel racist?

Is it that you only walk to restaurants and feel the more diverse the neighborhood the more types of restaurants will be in walking range?

Is it that you only socialize strictly with neighbors and have a quota of the different ethnicities you want to befriend?
Why the snark?

I am assuming with a handle of PedroMartinez, that you may be latino? If so, I would also assume that you know what it is like being a minority. Have you ever lived in an area where everyone else was a different ethnicity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2016, 07:05 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,611,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swack View Post
Why the snark?

I am assuming with a handle of PedroMartinez, that you may be latino? If so, I would also assume that you know what it is like being a minority. Have you ever lived in an area where everyone else was a different ethnicity?
People are people.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:14 AM

2,548 posts, read 4,052,968 times
Quote:
People are people.
Kids learn that lesson best when they grow up with a variety of people. Some folks may seek a diverse neighborhood so their kids grow up with a diverse set of friends.

I've seen this is in action with my kids-- they would be baffled by racist attitudes since their friends come from just about every racial and ethnic group in Houston. They KNOW that people are people. You can teach this, but it's best learned in your school and community.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Kids learn that lesson best when they grow up with a variety of people. Some folks may seek a diverse neighborhood so their kids grow up with a diverse set of friends.

I've seen this is in action with my kids-- they would be baffled by racist attitudes since their friends come from just about every racial and ethnic group in Houston. They KNOW that people are people. You can teach this, but it's best learned in your school and community.
There are no yellow or green cars on my street. I don't think my kids feel yellow or green cars are inferior to other cars.

Old 08-29-2016, 07:56 AM

Quote:
There are no yellow or green cars on my street. I don't think my kids feel yellow or green cars are inferior to other cars.
Maybe that's because you don't live in a culture that has spent the last couple hundred years suggesting that yellow and green cars are inferior.

I mean, seriously? that is the most meaningless analogy imaginable.

Old 08-29-2016, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Maybe that's because you don't live in a culture that has spent the last couple hundred years suggesting that yellow and green cars are inferior.
Sorry, but the culture that did that has been gone for a few decades now.

Are you teaching your kids to milk cows and goats since that was the main way people have done it over the last thousand years?

My children live in a world where you get your milk from the store and nobody is teaching them that any other race is inferior.

Old 08-29-2016, 11:28 AM

225 posts, read 519,873 times
just move to one of these nice new master planned communities.. you'll have a nice Agenda 21 apartment complex with some nice diverse neighbors soon

Old 08-29-2016, 11:28 AM

18,130 posts, read 25,282,316 times
Quote:
Why the need for a diverse neighborhood?

I'm always a bit confused when I see this.

Is that you want to tell other people that you live in a neighborhood with ___________ people, so you don't feel racist?

Is it that you only walk to restaurants and feel the more diverse the neighborhood the more types of restaurants will be in walking range?

Is it that you only socialize strictly with neighbors and have a quota of the different ethnicities you want to befriend?
Here we go again with this

Some people like to live in chinese communities, some people like to live in farming communities, some people like to live by the sea

And guess what.... some people like to live in a place with diversity
I'm one of them because I grew up in a place with lots of portuguese, italian, colombian, etc, etc.
I like having neighbors that understand that the World is not the United States, that there's other countries and cultures.
I also need to practice my Spanish which is getting really crappy

so why do people have a problem with that?

Old 08-29-2016, 11:30 AM

225 posts, read 519,873 times
^ but this person is asking for just a little diversity, not TOO MUCH

Old 08-29-2016, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Sorry, but the culture that did that has been gone for a few decades now.

Are you teaching your kids to milk cows and goats since that was the main way people have done it over the last thousand years?

My children live in a world where you get your milk from the store and nobody is teaching them that any other race is inferior.
Really? Seen a Trump rally lately?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
View detailed profiles of: