Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2016, 01:40 PM

39 posts, read 40,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KattyInvest View Post
I cannot comment on Houston's traffic since I never drove during rush hour. Houston does have those three lane one way roads in downtown though (Atlanta has these too) which I think are dumb. My two main gripes with the roads are that the ones I encountered are in far worse condition than Atlanta (for the most part) and number two is that all of the roads are straight. Within a 10 minute drive from my home in Atlanta is a plethora of scenic twisties that I can enjoy.
I agree that Houston's city roads are in bad shape; there are lots of potholes/cracks through them. However, the interstates,freeways, etc are well paved.

Scenic roads can either be straight or curvy, I don't see how straight roads are a limiting factor for Houston, as you say. The only real complaint for Houston, in regards to scenic roads, that I can understand is the use of "feeder" (frontage) roads often, which can lead to blight on the landscape (via a form of overdevelopment/sprawl, complete with billboards).

Quote:
Atlanta is prettier to me as it is literally a city within a forest. I was on the top floor of a office building in downtown Houston and all I saw out the window was a flat city with none of the varying natural beauty and topography of Atlanta. Some of the architecture in downtown was interesting but for the most part Houston looks like a very efficient but boring city in my opinion. That said, I am still moving to Houston so maybe it will grow on me.
Atlanta's setting in a forest is beautiful, but consider this: if you are in a high office building in Atlanta, you will see nothing but trees. Is a sight full of trees really varying to you? I'm just trying to understand where you are coming from, that's all.

Do you know of the various natural features that Houston does have close access to (pine forests, bayous, Gulf of Mexico beaches, etc)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 02:32 PM

91 posts, read 96,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0MEGA View Post
I agree that Houston's city roads are in bad shape; there are lots of potholes/cracks through them. However, the interstates,freeways, etc are well paved.

Scenic roads can either be straight or curvy, I don't see how straight roads are a limiting factor for Houston, as you say. The only real complaint for Houston, in regards to scenic roads, that I can understand is the use of "feeder" (frontage) roads often, which can lead to blight on the landscape (via a form of overdevelopment/sprawl, complete with billboards).
I own a couple of sports cars and love to drive. Straight roads are boring and after some research it seems like there are not many options for twisty public roads in Houston. I am considering selling my cars as a result.

Quote:
Atlanta's setting in a forest is beautiful, but consider this: if you are in a high office building in Atlanta, you will see nothing but trees. Is a sight full of trees really varying to you? I'm just trying to understand where you are coming from, that's all.

Do you know of the various natural features that Houston does have close access to (pine forests, bayous, Gulf of Mexico beaches, etc)?
Out of my Buckhead office I can see the skyscrapers in Downtown standing among a sea of forestry. From some spots I can even see Stone Mountain in the distance. I have been to and worked in numerous cities including Chicago, New York (lived there for 18 years), Boston, and Charlotte and while each have their charms none comes close to the natural beauty of Atlanta's views. Again this is all my opinion and I understand that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Some of the posters here are so fervent in their defense of Houston I do find it a little strange.

I have seen the bayous but have not explored the pine forests and beaches. Will certainly try to make time for it for my next work trip in a few weeks. Thanks!

Old 05-30-2016, 02:41 PM

Quote:
I own a couple of sports cars and love to drive. Straight roads are boring and after some research it seems like there are not many options for twisty public roads in Houston. I am considering selling my cars as a result.
Then what will you use to get around the Houston area?

Quote:
Out of my Buckhead office I can see the skyscrapers in Downtown standing among a sea of forestry. From some spots I can even see Stone Mountain in the distance. I have been to and worked in numerous cities including Chicago, New York (lived there for 18 years), Boston, and Charlotte and while each have their charms none comes close to the natural beauty of Atlanta's views. Again this is all my opinion and I understand that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Some of the posters here are so fervent to defend Houston I do find it a little strange.

I have seen the bayous but have not explored the pine forests and beaches. Will certainly try to make time for it for my next work trip in a few weeks. Thanks!
The pine forests are to the north of Houston. They used to stretch down to where city limits are, currently, but they have been cut down. You can take weekend trips to areas like Big Thicket NP, Sam Houston National Forest, Lake Conroe, etc to see it. Some pine forest pockets exist along Galveston Bay/coast; they can be seen in some areas, like Dickinson, La Porte, Baytown, and Clear Lake.

As for beaches/water, check areas of Galveston Bay, specifically places like Clear Lake, League City, and Kemah; the atmosphere is quite resort-like, and the life-style recreational (much in contrast to the energy industry Houston is associated with). Beaches along the Gulf run from Bolivar Peninsula through Galveston Island, and down to Freeport. Don't expect Hawaii or Florida, but they have their charms, regardless.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Then what will you use to get around the Houston area?

The pine forests are to the north of Houston. They used to stretch down to where city limits are, currently, but they have been cut down. You can take weekend trips to areas like Big Thicket NP, Sam Houston National Forest, Lake Conroe, etc to see it. Some pine forest pockets exist along Galveston Bay/coast; they can be seen in some areas, like Dickinson, La Porte, Baytown, and Clear Lake.

As for beaches/water, check areas of Galveston Bay, specifically places like Clear Lake, League City, and Kemah; the atmosphere is quite resort-like, and the life-style recreational (much in contrast to the energy industry Houston is associated with). Beaches along the Gulf run from Bolivar Peninsula through Galveston Island, and down to Freeport. Don't expect Hawaii or Florida, but they have their charms, regardless.
I meant I am considering selling my sports cars and getting a commuter car. Depending on where I end up living, I may just bike to work most of the time!

Thanks for the suggestions, they look amazing. I have an entire week in Houston so I suspect I will have more than enough time to visit these areas.

Old 05-30-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
I meant I am considering selling my sports cars and getting a commuter car. Depending on where I end up living, I may just bike to work most of the time!
Alright, just wanted to understand.

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions, they look amazing. I have an entire week in Houston so I suspect I will have more than enough time to visit these areas.
Your welcome.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:25 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,799,850 times
Quote:

Out of my Buckhead office I can see the skyscrapers in Downtown standing among a sea of forestry. From some spots I can even see Stone Mountain in the distance. I have been to and worked in numerous cities including Chicago, New York (lived there for 18 years), Boston, and Charlotte and while each have their charms none comes close to the natural beauty of Atlanta's views. Again this is all my opinion and I understand that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. Some of the posters here are so fervent in their defense of Houston I do find it a little strange.

North Houston and its burbs will give you that Atlanta scenery minus the hills. There are also some twisty roads up there.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:31 PM
bu2

24,119 posts, read 14,918,049 times
Quote:
I cannot comment on Houston's traffic since I never drove during rush hour. Houston does have those three lane one way roads in downtown though (Atlanta has these too) which I think are dumb. My two main gripes with the roads are that the ones I encountered are in far worse condition than Atlanta (for the most part) and number two is that all of the roads are straight. Within a 10 minute drive from my home in Atlanta is a plethora of scenic twisties that I can enjoy.

Atlanta is prettier to me as it is literally a city within a forest. I was on the top floor of a office building in downtown Houston and all I saw out the window was a flat city with none of the varying natural beauty and topography of Atlanta. Some of the architecture in downtown was interesting but for the most part Houston looks like a very efficient but boring city in my opinion. That said, I am still moving to Houston so maybe it will grow on me.
Houston has a vastly better road layout. Those twisting winding 2 lane roads with no left turn lanes are part of what make Atlanta's traffic horrendous. Its also why they have higher accident and insurance rates. As for condition, you didn't drive much in Atlanta (not that Houston's don't seem to be detereorating as well in the last couple of years). Not only do they have potholes everywhere, but they never sweep the streets. I get flats from nails all the time. 5 or 6 years ago, the freeways in Atlanta (but not the other roads) were in very good physical shape. But Georgia has let those deteriorate in recent years.

Old 05-30-2016, 08:33 PM
bu2

24,119 posts, read 14,918,049 times
Quote:

Actually that's all you see from downtown Houston high rises-the trees. But Atlanta is more heavily forested and tends to have larger lot sizes.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:45 AM

4,391 posts, read 4,634,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma23peas View Post
Have you been down West Paces Ferry or Paper Mill Road? I am floored by the extensive landscaping in Atlanta...eyecandy for this southerner. I just did not find that to be the case in Houston, hoping to explore more but hit over 15 suburban towns around Houston and just meh...I do like the road system better in Houston. Atlanta has created a mess on the north side since I lived there 15 years ago. We are moving to Houston in 1-2 months and still not sure where to live...nothing stands out...all are hitting 6-7 boxes ( different) but none of them are feeling like 'home'...maybe because Houston's boom was faster than Atlanta's gradual sprawl?
Me and my fiance were actually going to live off of West Paces Ferry road but ended up living in the Perimeter area.I'm impressed with Vinings/Cumberland area and believe that Sandy Springs and Dunwoody are very impressive suburbs. Outisde of that not that impressed. Matter fact some areas are downright bland. I grew up in East Texas with similar terrain so I grew up seeing similar landscaping. Me personally I believe Houston has the best looking suburb I've ever been to which is The Woodlands. And don't get me wrong Houston has alot of boring bland suburbs. Alot tend to look the same but still for some reason I'll put those bland burbs over some of the burbs I've ran across in Atlanta.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy205 View Post
North Houston and its burbs will give you that Atlanta scenery minus the hills. There are also some twisty roads up there.
Awesome! Any particular roads I should check out? I'm looking at google maps and nothing sticks out to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Houston has a vastly better road layout. Those twisting winding 2 lane roads with no left turn lanes are part of what make Atlanta's traffic horrendous. Its also why they have higher accident and insurance rates. As for condition, you didn't drive much in Atlanta (not that Houston's don't seem to be detereorating as well in the last couple of years). Not only do they have potholes everywhere, but they never sweep the streets. I get flats from nails all the time. 5 or 6 years ago, the freeways in Atlanta (but not the other roads) were in very good physical shape. But Georgia has let those deteriorate in recent years.
I drive a bunch in Atlanta. I even drove Uber for a while. i realize the sample size I am working with for Houston roads is relatively small but from what I have seen Atlanta roads are in much better condition overall and much funner to drive. Rush hour in any city is not fun, but my work hours often allow me to skip rush hour so not a big issue for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston