Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 04:06 PM
bu2

24,149 posts, read 14,989,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
Atlanta is definitely a prettier city. There is also quite a bit more to do outside in my opinion. Its hard to argue with those hills and the hiking available around there.

Houston is, without a doubt, more ethnically diverse. The food is also a lot better here (except for the Korean food which is amazing in Atlanta).

The OP mentioned he is Asian. Unless he is Korean, whatever Asian ethnicity he belongs to will be much larger here.

I would not say Houston offers better job opportunities right now though. I would actually say, at the current time, Atlanta would be a better bet there.

If its ethnic diversity, no Houston is not as diverse as NYC or LA. Its not even close really.

If its racial diversity, Houston is more diverse than NYC or LA.

Houston does have a large Korean community, centered in Spring Branch. Its just not as large as Atlanta's Korean community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2016, 04:23 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,814,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Houston does have a large Korean community, centered in Spring Branch. Its just not as large as Atlanta's Korean community.
Not really. Its only about 15,000. Its close to 40,000 in Dallas and over 50,000 in Atlanta.

Old 05-12-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
See peterlemenjello's comment. Houston has more ethnic/racial diversity. NYC has more "international" diversity with large groups from more countries.
Racial diversity yes. Ethnic diversity, no way. LA and NYC are much more ethnically diverse than Houston.

That said Houston is still one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the US. The only metro areas that are definitively ahead of it are NYC, LA, DC, SF, and Chicago. Even with Miami the ethnic diversity is heavily weighted toward one part of the world.

Houston is, at worst, the 7th most ethnically international city in the US. 6th is more likely though.

Old 05-12-2016, 05:03 PM

447 posts, read 490,296 times
There's no difference in what you describing - ethnic diversity vs "international" one. There's probably 1000's of ethnicities, most of them coming from out of US, which means international.

I understand what you trying to say, and yes, I agree that Houston is diverse, but NYC is more. In general

Old 05-12-2016, 06:06 PM

20,531 posts, read 33,647,254 times
Quote:
Racial diversity yes. Ethnic diversity, no way. LA and NYC are much more ethnically diverse than Houston.

That said Houston is still one of the most ethnically diverse cities in the US. The only metro areas that are definitively ahead of it are NYC, LA, DC, SF, and Chicago. Even with Miami the ethnic diversity is heavily weighted toward one part of the world.

Houston is, at worst, the 7th most ethnically international city in the US. 6th is more likely though.
Yep and honestly, Houston is not far from Chicago and SF when it comes to diversity either. In fact, I would place Houston in that same tier especially with Chicago. But ethnically, Houston isn't close to NYC and LA. Especially NYC.

Old 05-12-2016, 06:27 PM
bu2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohunak View Post
There's no difference in what you describing - ethnic diversity vs "international" one. There's probably 1000's of ethnicities, most of them coming from out of US, which means international.

I understand what you trying to say, and yes, I agree that Houston is diverse, but NYC is more. In general
Hispanics aren't really a "race," so I used "ethnic."

NYC may have every African and European and Asian nationality while Houston won't (which is what I think you are saying), but Houston is more evenly divided among those groups. NYC is "whiter."

Old 05-12-2016, 06:31 PM
bu2

Quote:
Not really. Its only about 15,000. Its close to 40,000 in Dallas and over 50,000 in Atlanta.
15,000 sounds pretty sizable to me.

Old 05-12-2016, 10:18 PM

4,398 posts, read 4,656,288 times
Quote:
Atlanta is definitely a prettier city. There is also quite a bit more to do outside in my opinion. Its hard to argue with those hills and the hiking available around there.

Houston is, without a doubt, more ethnically diverse. The food is also a lot better here (except for the Korean food which is amazing in Atlanta).

The OP mentioned he is Asian. Unless he is Korean, whatever Asian ethnicity he belongs to will be much larger here.

I would not say Houston offers better job opportunities right now though. I would actually say, at the current time, Atlanta would be a better bet there.

If its ethnic diversity, no Houston is not as diverse as NYC or LA. Its not even close really.

If its racial diversity, Houston is more diverse than NYC or LA.
I highly HIGHLY HIGHLY disagree with this one right here. Job opportunities are alot better in Houston then here in Atlanta imo. Matter fact, if me and my fiancee didn't transfer jobs from Houston we would have probably had to move back to Houston within the 3rd month of living here. From what I was told Atlanta is just now recovering from a recession while Houston was still somewhat healthy compared to the rest of the country. I was even told by my boss at the job I work at now that my company is not looking to hire any new employees because there's not alot of work here in Atlanta. That's not to say that there's not any but if i'm comparing it to Houston, Houston definitely is better as far as opportunities. Even when I first move to Atlanta people would always ask me, "Why you move here from Houston? I heard Houston got a ton of jobs and is the place to be right now." "Damn you move here from Houston aint no jobs and no more room here in Atlanta". "Atlanta was the place to be but it's past it's prime!"

Old 05-12-2016, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I highly HIGHLY HIGHLY disagree with this one right here. Job opportunities are alot better in Houston then here in Atlanta imo. Matter fact, if me and my fiancee didn't transfer jobs from Houston we would have probably had to move back to Houston within the 3rd month of living here. From what I was told Atlanta is just now recovering from a recession while Houston was still somewhat healthy compared to the rest of the country. I was even told by my boss at the job I work at now that my company is not looking to hire any new employees because there's not alot of work here in Atlanta. That's not to say that there's not any but if i'm comparing it to Houston, Houston definitely is better as far as opportunities. Even when I first move to Atlanta people would always ask me, "Why you move here from Houston? I heard Houston got a ton of jobs and is the place to be right now." "Damn you move here from Houston aint no jobs and no more room here in Atlanta". "Atlanta was the place to be but it's past it's prime!"
To be frank, there's both to disagree on. The numbers back what I said:

Visualizing U.S Job Market Growth (and Decline) in a 3D Map

http://www.bls.gov/regions/southwest...ry_houston.pdf

http://www.bls.gov/regions/southeast...ry_atlanta.pdf

The unemployment rate is still slightly higher in Atlanta but their unemployment rate is coming down. Ours is going up. They are beating us in job creation.

Old 05-12-2016, 11:04 PM

4,398 posts, read 4,656,288 times
Quote:
To be frank, there's both to disagree on. The numbers back what I said:

Visualizing U.S Job Market Growth (and Decline) in a 3D Map

http://www.bls.gov/regions/southwest...ry_houston.pdf

http://www.bls.gov/regions/southeast...ry_atlanta.pdf

The unemployment rate is still slightly higher in Atlanta but their unemployment rate is coming down. Ours is going up. They are beating us in job creation.
I guess these Atlanta natives looking for work and employers I've ran into haven't got the memo yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston