Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2016, 03:36 PM

149 posts, read 232,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
What's up man! Me and my fiance actually moved to Atlanta from Houston so I think I can definitely answer some of your questions and give you a good enough perspective on what you're heading into.

1) The dating scene in Houston is pretty good my friend. Alot of 20 to 30 something attractive women in the city of Houston and surrounding areas. Houston has a nice size millennial population and active social scene with tons of diversity. You should have no problem finding a woman around your age in Houston. Not to mention in my humble opinion Houston has some of the most beautiful down to earth and diverse group of women in any city I've been to. I met my fiance in Houston, she's a native Houstonian. I moved to Houston in 2009.

2)I'm not too big on the car scene but I do know Houston and Texas in general are very VERY car centric. You can check out MSR Houston and Grandsport Speedway (2 road course in Houston area). I have a friend who is apart of a car club in Houston. Maybe you can check this site out to give you a better idea of the car community here in Houston. Houston Car Clubs

3)I have a friend who's a real estate agent and he swears Houston has a real estate boom and it's been that way for quite some time now. I know business is pretty good for him. The hot areas depends on budget, commute, and what your looking for. Pretty much very similar to Atlanta. But some hot areas to look into would be, (The Heights, Meyerland, Montrose,Energy Corridor, Cinco Ranch, Pearland, Midtown)

4) Being that I live in Atlanta now but lived in Houston I can give you a good description of the two cities. I think you'll find that Atlanta and Houston have some similarities but vast differences. Both cities are sprawling and have horrible traffic. Atlanta has more scenic routes and views along the freeway however I find Houston's roadway system to be more convenient imo. Houston is experiencing a construction boom at the moment. I move to Atlanta October of last year and we went back to attend a friends wedding in March and the city looked different within that short amount of time. Of course Atlanta has construction all over the city but you literally see cranes everywhere in Houston. I prefer Houston's food scene over Atlanta's in pretty much every category except maybe Italian food(lots of NY transplants make for some good Italian restaurants in Atlanta) Houston is more humid then Atlanta so summers are a little more intense in Houston then in Atlanta. Atlanta definitely seems to be more of an nature/outdoor friendly city then Houston. Both cities have a respectable art and social scene. Atlanta feels more densely populated in it's city core but by no means does that mean it's "faster" or feels bigger then Houston. Houston imo still feels bigger(which the city limits is alot bigger then Atlanta's city limit)Houston has more diversity and it definitely feels more diverse then Atlanta(however Atlanta has an impressive diverse population that even I underestimated before moving here). I do feel Atlanta has more impressive architecture but Houston has some of my favorite scrapers in the nation. Atlanta has buckhead/Lenox Mall and Phipps Plaza and Houston has The Galleria Area/River Oaks. I'm more of a fan of Houston's suburb's then I am of Atlanta's.

Both have pros and cons over each other. Me and my fiance eventually plan on moving back to Houston. We moved here for the entertainment industry solely and not because we thought Houston was a bad city.
Out of curiosity, in what ways is the entertainment industry more represented in Atlanta than Houston?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2016, 04:28 PM

1 posts, read 725 times
Default Parc at Midtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by KattyInvest View Post
Thanks for all the comments guys and gals. Sorry for the late response, been super busy but all your comments are very helpful.

I am most likely going to be making the move, and I found a new construction condo community called Parc at Midtown. Builder is Surge Homes. It looks like I can get a one bedroom for ~$170k which seems like a solid deal to me combined with a relatively low maintenance fee of $153. Anyone know anything about the area of this community? Is it walk-able? Is the proximity to the interstate of any consequence? Thoughts on the pricing for these new condos?

Thanks again.
Hi, KattyInvest – Our community, Parc at Midtown, is in a great neighborhood (Midtown) between downtown Houston and the Texas Medical Center, making it an easy commute if you’re working in either of these locations (you can jump on the rail if you don’t want to drive). It’s a trendy neighborhood with lots of mixed-use developments including nightlife, dining, great lounges, parks, etc. ([url]https://www.surgehomes.com/blog/midtown-houstons-1-urban-playground[/url]) It’s also a VERY walkable area of town - it recently was upgraded to a Walk Score of 80 ([url]https://www.surgehomes.com/blog/parc-at-midtown-delivers-very-walkable-lifestyle-in-houston[/url])! You will find no other new home community in Midtown with prices as affordable as Parc at Midtown. You can view all of our listings here ([url]https://www.facebook.com/surgehomes/app/174758092525/[/url]), including Upper Richton, so just scroll through until something catches your eye! Please contact one of our representatives at (832) 509-2222 to get answers to all of your questions. Thank you for considering one of our communities!

Old 05-26-2016, 05:31 PM

15 posts, read 12,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
It's also a much more manicured city with zoning and more appealing commercial architecture, in my opinion. By no means does it blow Houston out of the water, but it is easier on the eye.
The commercial architecture in Atlanta doesn't really look much more impressive than that of Houston, not in any real noteworthy way, at least.

And while no-zoning can seemingly lead to a state of "disorganization," the supposed aesthetic detractions are far overblown, for what it's worth. For instance, I've never really heard of the suburbs (Woodlands, Sugar Land, etc) being described as prettier than the Inner Loop, but they have zoning.

Old 05-26-2016, 06:29 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,806,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDragon View Post
The commercial architecture in Atlanta doesn't really look much more impressive than that of Houston, not in any real noteworthy way, at least.

And while no-zoning can seemingly lead to a state of "disorganization," the supposed aesthetic detractions are far overblown, for what it's worth. For instance, I've never really heard of the suburbs (Woodlands, Sugar Land, etc) being described as prettier than the Inner Loop, but they have zoning.
You're entitled to your opinion, but I say the architecture in Atlanta is easily more appealing. Their skyscrapers are much more artsy and detailed, and the way the skyline lights up at night is unlike any other city in the South.

I have absolutely heard the suburbs described as more attractive than the city itself, especially the Woodlands.

Old 05-26-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
You're entitled to your opinion, but I say the architecture in Atlanta is easily more appealing. Their skyscrapers are much more artsy and detailed, and the way the skyline lights up at night is unlike any other city in the South.
I don't know, many of the tall skyscrapers in Houston, such as Willaims Tower, Bank of America Center, Penzoil Place, etc are quite well designed and exquisite. And behind the tall skyscrapers in downtown lies a superb collection of historic, art-deco fabric, culminating in skyscrapers like the Gulf Building. The Medical Center also has some well designed, artsy-buildings.

Nothing really stands out for me in Atlanta's architecture, other than the Bank of America Plaza and 1180 Peachtree. As far as lighting, Houston's skyline was by far more lit up in the past than in recent times; I believe some ordinances prevent the city from lighting up at night as much, but I could be wrong.

Quote:
I have absolutely heard the suburbs described as more attractive than the city itself, especially the Woodlands.
Never heard such a thing, except, of course, from conservative families that just love the burbs, and couldn't care less about the inner city (those types think a place is ghetto, just because said place is populated by minorities).

Old 05-26-2016, 11:19 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,806,579 times
Okay

Old 05-27-2016, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Okay
It is never too late to see the light; join the club.

Old 05-27-2016, 09:14 AM

12,735 posts, read 21,820,260 times
Quote:

I agree with ALL of this!

Atlanta definitely looks better than Houston, hands down. Houston's northern suburbs can go toe-to-toe with Atlanta's suburbs minus the hills.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:36 PM
bu2

24,116 posts, read 14,952,507 times
Quote:
It's also a much more manicured city with zoning and more appealing commercial architecture, in my opinion. By no means does it blow Houston out of the water, but it is easier on the eye.
Atlanta is not manicured at all. The let it over-grow naturally seems to be the prevailing style.

Old 05-27-2016, 12:39 PM
bu2

24,116 posts, read 14,952,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmicDragon View Post
I don't know, many of the tall skyscrapers in Houston, such as Willaims Tower, Bank of America Center, Penzoil Place, etc are quite well designed and exquisite. And behind the tall skyscrapers in downtown lies a superb collection of historic, art-deco fabric, culminating in skyscrapers like the Gulf Building. The Medical Center also has some well designed, artsy-buildings.

Nothing really stands out for me in Atlanta's architecture, other than the Bank of America Plaza and 1180 Peachtree. As far as lighting, Houston's skyline was by far more lit up in the past than in recent times; I believe some ordinances prevent the city from lighting up at night as much, but I could be wrong.

Never heard such a thing, except, of course, from conservative families that just love the burbs, and couldn't care less about the inner city (those types think a place is ghetto, just because said place is populated by minorities).
I agree with this about the commercial architecture. Houston's are much more interesting. I also like the way Houston avoids putting tenant names on the upper floors or at the top of the buildings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston