Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 03:29 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,983,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
How does that disprove his assertion that most New Orleanians are good, law abiding people?

Furthermore, does anyone here have any proof that Katrina evacuees are single-handedly responsible for a decade long crime surge in the Houston area?
He also didn't provide any input that prove otherwise but call out insults.

The city is badly run with one of the highest crime rates in the country.

So maybe there are good law abiding people, but the argument here is lot of the non-law abiding people was transferred here after Katrina and never went back.

The Poverty-Crime Connection | Jackson Free Press | Jackson, MS

This article make some good points Poverty-Crime Connection. Most of the "refugees" that moved here are very low income or extreme poverty. So the connection is definitely there.

Furthermore, the linked article provide some key points between a well run growing city to a decrying city (Houston vs New Orleans).

Rich Cities/Suburbs have:
> Good infrastructure
> More services
> Better (funded) schools
> More effective city management (they can afford it)

#Poor Cities have:
> Deteriorating physical environment
> Very inadequate services
> Severely limited tax base ... thus:
> Inability to attract jobs, commerce, real estate investment
> Congregations of needy in needy places, thus institutionalizing their "character of poverty"

Lots of those describe New Orleans very well would you say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2015, 04:10 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
He also didn't provide any input that prove otherwise but call out insults.

The city is badly run with one of the highest crime rates in the country.

So maybe there are good law abiding people, but the argument here is lot of the non-law abiding people was transferred here after Katrina and never went back.

The Poverty-Crime Connection | Jackson Free Press | Jackson, MS

This article make some good points Poverty-Crime Connection. Most of the "refugees" that moved here are very low income or extreme poverty. So the connection is definitely there.

Furthermore, the linked article provide some key points between a well run growing city to a decrying city (Houston vs New Orleans).

Rich Cities/Suburbs have:
> Good infrastructure
> More services
> Better (funded) schools
> More effective city management (they can afford it)

#Poor Cities have:
> Deteriorating physical environment
> Very inadequate services
> Severely limited tax base ... thus:
> Inability to attract jobs, commerce, real estate investment
> Congregations of needy in needy places, thus institutionalizing their "character of poverty"

Lots of those describe New Orleans very well would you say?
Poverty and crime were a problem in Houston before Katrina, and they would remain a problem even if it had not been for the storm. You have yet to disprove either of these things, and now you appear to be saying that most of the evacuees were poor. I'm fairly certain you cannot support that statement either.

You clearly have a very low opinion of New Orleans, but how you feel about the city is irrelevant here.

Old 08-23-2015, 05:06 PM

657 posts, read 739,882 times
New Orleans had a huge murder problem for a while, not sure if it's still like that. Louisiana did or does have an idiotic law that lets guys out of jail within 6 months for a murder if nobody snitches. Alot of them learned the hard way that Texas DOES NOT play with that stuff and are serving life sentences.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:41 AM

1,304 posts, read 1,093,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I prefer the Crime ridden, impoverished Katrina refugees to racist redneck pieces of **** such as these guys. It's mentalities like this that keep Houston from being a World Class city and keeps the stereotype of one big sprawling podunk metro.

It's people with your mentality that have outsiders turning their nose up at Houston. To assume Houston was some kind of Utopia before New Orleans is comical at best. I'm pretty sure people like you all that come from bland boring ass communities outside the loop with backwards rural/suburban layout could learn a thing or 2 from those "refugees" who added a little more flavor to Houston's culture. And no i'm not from New Orleans. I just know stupid when I see it and to all the people from New Orleans who still reside in Houston or did at one time these people do not represent the city as awhole.
Lol, actually I'm politically moderate (fiscally conservative, but socially liberal), and anything but racist. I started this thread to note that it was very cool of the New Orleans Mayor to say thank you. Yes, I have mixed feelings about the refugees from Katrina. Yes, I will call them refugees because they were seeking refuge from a storm and broken levees. No, I don't care if you find it racist or insensitive. All that means is you need to grow a spine.

I never assumed Houston was some sort of Utopia. I do live inside the loop, as I've stated in prior posts.

Oh one more thing: if those refugees have added a little more flavor, why is it still so hard to find a good cajun restaurant in this town? My boss is from Louisiana, and while he likes the Poboys from this bar on 19th called the Boot (which also introduced me to this awesome Louisiana based rum called Bayou Rum), he said he's just about given up finding good cajun food in this town. A couple of places have come close, but they are insanely expensive.

I don't know if your handle is affiliated with that Red Lion british pub on Shepherd, but that place does make some good chicken tikka masala.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
Cool I respect your opinion. New Orleans has a lot going for itself but admittedly has a ways to go. Also if u like Garden District there are many other areas you'd like as well MINUS the tourist stuff. Its all good.
You know, I do plan on going back one day since my wife has never been & some friends of mine moved from there after the storm. (Full disclosure: I do call them refugees, we joke about it every now and then.) One of them has a kid about the same age as my youngest one, so I think a road trip could be fun. Any suggestions on which parts are like the garden district? I figure I'll run em by my friends and try to make it out that way when we go.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:03 AM

5,287 posts, read 5,786,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
Lol, actually I'm politically moderate (fiscally conservative, but socially liberal), and anything but racist. I started this thread to note that it was very cool of the New Orleans Mayor to say thank you. Yes, I have mixed feelings about the refugees from Katrina. Yes, I will call them refugees because they were seeking refuge from a storm and broken levees. No, I don't care if you find it racist or insensitive. All that means is you need to grow a spine.

I never assumed Houston was some sort of Utopia. I do live inside the loop, as I've stated in prior posts.

Oh one more thing: if those refugees have added a little more flavor, why is it still so hard to find a good cajun restaurant in this town? My boss is from Louisiana, and while he likes the Poboys from this bar on 19th called the Boot (which also introduced me to this awesome Louisiana based rum called Bayou Rum), he said he's just about given up finding good cajun food in this town. A couple of places have come close, but they are insanely expensive.

I don't know if your handle is affiliated with that Red Lion british pub on Shepherd, but that place does make some good chicken tikka masala.
Because New Orleans is not a Cajun city.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:25 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,050,131 times
We do have a spill over of Louisiana gangs that I never really saw in the years predating the storm. They would have come over here eventually but I do think the displacement of so many people sped it up. Their relatives, kids or family came to houston. Houston is a lot larger and more diverse areas. Lot more targets.

Before someone claims gangs dont exist in louisiana and saying they do os racist - some are fairly easy to identify. Tattooing your face with your logo is an idiotic way to create group cohesion.

I used to work with criminal offenders so many related to gang groups. Houston has enough to deal with we dont need people who represent another state in the mix

Old 08-24-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunion Powder View Post
Because New Orleans is not a Cajun city.
Well, that's unfortunate :P

I did a quick google search and this was the first link to pop up:

http://www.neworleansonline.com/newo...ory/cajun.html

That jambalaya looks soo good. Now I need to go to the gym just for thinking about it.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:04 PM

20,514 posts, read 33,527,366 times
Quote:

Cajun Culture in New Orleans

That jambalaya looks soo good. Now I need to go to the gym just for thinking about it.
If you want cajun then you probably need to head to Southwestern Louisiana and Southern Louisiana west of Baton Rouge. New Orleans from my understanding is more creole than it is cajun.

Old 08-24-2015, 06:40 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,031,757 times
Quote:

Cajun Culture in New Orleans

New Orleans has a very strong Creole influence, not Cajun. If that jambalaya is tomato based which most in NO is it's Creole, if it's roux based it's Cajun. Katrina didn't uproot many Cajuns, the people who ended up on buses heading to Houston on I-10 were overwhelmingly black and many have Creole roots, not Cajun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston