Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 04:00 PM

639 posts, read 821,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
I am sure they are appreciative since they basically exported all of their lowest income folks into Houston.

Since you sound so high and mighty, why don't you take say 100,000 of those refugees back? I will even contribute some gas money for you.

First of all If anyone thinks there high and mighty it is you by some of the stupid comments you made. Secondly, they were not REFUGEES. By the way are you a redneck? Lastly not all but MOST New Orleanians that were in Texas have returned and the population numbers support that which is currently about 80% of its pre-katrina level, FACT. So that means there are not 100,000 "refugees" as you call them CURRENTLY in Houston. Stop it, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 04:01 PM

804 posts, read 1,076,040 times
they can start by taking anymore katrina people back that are left here.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:03 PM

6,292 posts, read 7,502,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perro_peluo View Post
It is always enlightening to listen to people that see only the portion of a story that fits their belief. Yes, I am a transplanted Cajun that has lived in Houston for a number of years. I feel that I have contributed to this area both socially and financially probably more than what I have for my native state. I do not believe one area is any better or worse than the other, but I do believe in my culture as do most Texans.

This may be on a different scale than Katrina, but remember back during the drought years when no hay could be found in Texas. What state was transporting hay and rice hulls at a loss to help out ranchers in Texas? I know this for a fact because my family in LA was one of them. I don't think we got a public thank you from anyone in Texas, but the ranchers sure expressed their thanks. I volunteered at Reliant/Astrodome and saw the graciousness of this city's population donate tons of food and essentials without any expectation of a pat on the back, I also saw the people from NO express their extreme gratitude for the helping hand.

I doubt very seriously that no one from LA said thank you during the evacuation for Katrina and just in case no one didn't, since when do we do things with the expectation of a thank you, anyway.

T. Broussard
Like they say no good deed goes unpunished. I think the main reason no one ever expressed gratitude may have been the personalities of the officials in Louisiana in the mid 2000's Kathleen Blanco and Ray Nagin weren't exactly warm and fuzzy personalities.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:08 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,985,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeSon504 View Post
First of all If anyone thinks there high and mighty it is you by some of the stupid comments you made. Secondly, they were not REFUGEES. By the way are you a redneck? Lastly not all but MOST New Orleanians that were in Texas have returned and the population numbers support that which is currently about 80% of its pre-katrina level, FACT. So that means there are not 100,000 "refugees" as you call them CURRENTLY in Houston. Stop it, please.
If they are not refugees, what are they? They have no home to go back to, they have nobody to help them. The New Orleans government certainly is beyond useless as they don't even know how to wipe their own a$$ so forget about helping them and the ones that do is busy stealing the donations.

Again just like your numbers stated, 80% of them returned. The poorest 20% are currently paid by the tax payers of Harris County.

You welcome.

Old 08-21-2015, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
If they are not refugees, what are they? They have no home to go back to, they have nobody to help them. The New Orleans government certainly is beyond useless as they don't even know how to wipe their own a$$ so forget about helping them and the ones that do is busy stealing the donations.

Again just like your numbers stated, 80% of them returned. The poorest 20% are currently paid by the tax payers of Harris County.

You welcome.
Smh.. the 20percent you speak of is not just Houston its a combination of cities like Houston,B.R., Atlanta etc. Futhermore I know quite a bit of educated New Orleanians who have well paying jobs in Houston its not just the poverty stricken people there so what the hell are you talking about. Also u never answered my question. Are u a redneck, because if you are not, u damn sure talk like one.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
I've been to New Orleans a couple of times, and neither one of them left me feeling very impressed with the town. Sure there's a distinct culture, but I couldn't shake the feeling that the city just wasn't trying very hard to grow. It's hard to describe, but some cities just give this vibe of wanting to be more than they are and I love that feeling.

In fact, I was almost run over by a police officer on a d@mned horse who insisted on charging after someone or something despite the fact that there were several tourists between him and wherever he was going. I will say, I found the Garden District to be lovely.

I agree that it's even more impressive that the mayor is saying Thank You now considering his limited role in the situation. I don't believe Mayor Nagle ever said Thank You. Perhaps he was too busy complaining about the Governor (and vice versa).
Cool I respect your opinion. New Orleans has a lot going for itself but admittedly has a ways to go. Also if u like Garden District there are many other areas you'd like as well MINUS the tourist stuff. Its all good.

Old 08-21-2015, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perro_peluo View Post
It is always enlightening to listen to people that see only the portion of a story that fits their belief. Yes, I am a transplanted Cajun that has lived in Houston for a number of years. I feel that I have contributed to this area both socially and financially probably more than what I have for my native state. I do not believe one area is any better or worse than the other, but I do believe in my culture as do most Texans.

This may be on a different scale than Katrina, but remember back during the drought years when no hay could be found in Texas. What state was transporting hay and rice hulls at a loss to help out ranchers in Texas? I know this for a fact because my family in LA was one of them. I don't think we got a public thank you from anyone in Texas, but the ranchers sure expressed their thanks. I volunteered at Reliant/Astrodome and saw the graciousness of this city's population donate tons of food and essentials without any expectation of a pat on the back, I also saw the people from NO express their extreme gratitude for the helping hand.

I doubt very seriously that no one from LA said thank you during the evacuation for Katrina and just in case no one didn't, since when do we do things with the expectation of a thank you, anyway.

T. Broussard
Thank you for your very insightful post. Peace to you.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:02 PM

657 posts, read 740,398 times
What a mistake that was. Crime jumped up all around town from those refugees.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:47 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,154,662 times
Lot's of ignorance on this thread

Old 08-21-2015, 07:59 PM

8,895 posts, read 20,002,567 times
I've heard the phrase "seeking refuge from the storm" in media often. So if a phrase like that is okay, then it seems the term refugee would fit when used in that manner. Never heard the phrase " evacuage from the storm."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston