Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 08:02 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,935,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theone33 View Post
What a mistake that was. Crime jumped up all around town from those refugees.
No, actually crime did NOT jump all around town from the refugees.

Five Years Later, Houstonians Conflicted About Katrina | The Texas Tribune

Quote:
The myth of a widespread post-Katrina crime wave has been largely debunked. Earlier this year, a study published in the Journal of Criminal Justice concluded “the contention that displaced persons altered a city's crime problem found limited support.” Moderate increases in homicides were detected in Houston, but not a pattern of crime that could be attributable to the new population. In San Antonio — which took in roughly 30,000 evacuees — no significant crime increase was detected.

In 2007, Stein, at the request of then-mayor Bill White, prepared a memo detailing how apartment complexes that housed large populations of New Orleans transplants did experience a spike in crime. But the acts were almost exclusively evacuee-on-evacuee, with no spillover effect. “You had a lot of crime,” Stein says. “But it was so contained that you could literally live two blocks away from the apartment complex and — unless you were there when the police car entered the complex — you wouldn’t know about it.”
Quote:
To put it bluntly, the sudden surge in outsiders — many black and poor — prompted a starkly negative turn in attitudes toward immigrants and minorities, one that worsened with time and only recently has begun to ease.
Seriously, the perception is very skewed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 08:13 PM

2,047 posts, read 2,986,845 times
The media can skew the news any way they wanted.

I am sure I can found a study that show 30% increase in crime after Katrina REFUGEES invaded this city.

Fact is low income folks tend to commit crimes. Add to the fact they have no home, no jobs, with minimal help from this city. What do you think they will be doing?

Old 08-21-2015, 08:22 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,308,525 times
I really enjoy listening to the so-called "Patriotic people" complain about "The Katrina refugees" who are Americans as if they were people that got to Houston on a boat from Somalia.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I really enjoy listening to the so-called "Patriotic people" complain about "The Katrina refugees" who are Americans as if they were people that got to Houston on a boat from Somalia.
I am a strong believer in giving temporary help when it is needed. However, there is a difference between providing short term help to providing 3 generations of welfare permanently.

The poor folks exported here will contribute nothing to this city but crimes while taxing our resources.

You wonder why Trump is so popular? The American Taxpayer are tired on paying for everybody else benefits. He is the one candidate to actually say it. I think he is a lunatic but he speaks what I want to hear.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:31 PM

18,132 posts, read 25,308,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
I am a strong believer in giving temporary help when it is needed. However, there is a difference between providing short term help to providing 3 generations of welfare permanently
I agree,
Here's my issue with your comment
How many people do you know for a fact that are on welfare?
Or do you just assume based on appearance?

Because I have met people that (I'm not making this up) that looked like they were dirt poor and in fact, one of them is a regional VP for an oil company ... He just chooses to dress like s...

Old 08-21-2015, 09:44 PM

2,165 posts, read 3,776,386 times
I can tell you first hand that crime in Pearland skyrocketed after the storm and influx of people from Louisiana. Apartments, businesses, and vehicles. Trust me. I was living there at that time. To go from no crime in an area to all of a sudden 10 homes in a 5 block radius were burglarized and countless cars hit. Coincidence? I think not.

Old 08-21-2015, 09:55 PM

998 posts, read 1,326,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

Good luck with injecting facts into a discussion like this. Now that its been a whole ten years since Katrina, I'm sure folks in this thread have moved on to blaming "the illegals" for all the crime in Houston now....

Old 08-21-2015, 09:57 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,630,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augiec View Post
I've never been terribly fond of New Orleans, but I will give their mayor credit for saying "Thank You." I don't know if any city officials from there ever said thanks before.

Pretty nice of him, even if it's a decade or two late; and no one from there has offered to take back the thousands of impoverished people they left for us to house, feed, educate, etc.

Special bond with Houston hailed by New Orleans mayor - Houston Chronicle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipuck View Post
Honestly I wish they didn't do it. Just think how many areas have been ruined from Katrina refugees. I am not even counting all the local government resources we are paying for.
I prefer the Crime ridden, impoverished Katrina refugees to racist redneck pieces of **** such as these guys. It's mentalities like this that keep Houston from being a World Class city and keeps the stereotype of one big sprawling podunk metro.

It's people with your mentality that have outsiders turning their nose up at Houston. To assume Houston was some kind of Utopia before New Orleans is comical at best. I'm pretty sure people like you all that come from bland boring ass communities outside the loop with backwards rural/suburban layout could learn a thing or 2 from those "refugees" who added a little more flavor to Houston's culture. And no i'm not from New Orleans. I just know stupid when I see it and to all the people from New Orleans who still reside in Houston or did at one time these people do not represent the city as awhole.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
I prefer the Crime ridden, impoverished Katrina refugees to racist redneck pieces of **** such as these guys. It's mentalities like this that keep Houston from being a World Class city and keeps the stereotype of one big sprawling podunk metro.

It's people with your mentality that have outsiders turning their nose up at Houston. To assume Houston was some kind of Utopia before New Orleans is comical at best. I'm pretty sure people like you all that come from bland boring ass communities outside the loop with backwards rural/suburban layout could learn a thing or 2 from those "refugees" who added a little more flavor to Houston's culture. And no i'm not from New Orleans. I just know stupid when I see it and to all the people from New Orleans who still reside in Houston or did at one time these people do not represent the city as awhole.
It is a shame too many idiotatic liberals are starting to move into this city.

If you think adding a little more "favor" to the city is so important, how is Chiraq doing? What is the murder rate there? Is it a good day if only 2 people get killed? I am betting the city will declare bankrupt within 5 years thanks to brainless idiots like you running the city.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:46 PM

657 posts, read 740,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

Lol this is baloney and anyone who was in the city back then knows it. Ask any Hpd cop if there was more crime when they came. Not everyone even reports stuff because HPD usually wont handle a burglary, robbery or anything like that where someone doesnt get hurt. And no, anyone with some sense wont just blindly blame illegals for crime Most just work hard and keep to themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston