Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 01:33 PM

352 posts, read 778,767 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Tropical storms are unpredictable. Possible you could be flooded in (streets impassible) or without power. You want a minimum of a few comforts, some bread, crackers, peanut butter and jelly, water, canned meat like chicken and tuna. Just for a few days. You don't need to hoard like doomsday or anything.
Im from florida where storms happen all the time.

This is actually the best advice I have heard.

The houston news is making out like it will be andrew or katrina. Total doomsday going on

The news acts as if this is IKE. This isnt even a freaking tropical depression yet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 01:36 PM

152 posts, read 169,826 times
What is the situation now ? I can't find any news about the severity of the storm . is there going to be wind with the rain ? when ‘ll it hit sugar land ?

Old 06-15-2015, 01:40 PM

1,743 posts, read 3,823,383 times
Just don't drive through deep water and you will be fine. The national news will for sure hype it up. Relatives were calling me from the East Coast during the last storm, nervous because they were "evacuating" Rosenberg. It was like 50 homes that were literally on the edge of the Brazos River.

If it bleeds it leads on the news, so get ready for some overhyped BS.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:42 PM

225 posts, read 520,260 times

Old 06-15-2015, 01:44 PM

225 posts, read 520,260 times

rainfall estimates

Old 06-15-2015, 01:59 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,635,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swopoe View Post
Ah, tomorrow is my wedding anniversary. Nothing like celebrating with a storm. Hopefully the husband doesn't have to go into work and we can at least spend the day home together.
Having a late September birthday, I spend Rita sitting around the house doing nothing but thinking how I'd have to pull the plywood off my windows the next day, and I spend Ike still running the house off of a generator.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:05 PM

986 posts, read 1,273,500 times
Best email that was going around after Rita was a photo someone took with a caption that said, "It is humbling and scary to see the devastation that hurricanes can bring." (something like that)

The photo was a wet plastic lawn chair on its side on a wooden deck.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:26 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,937,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
I totally agree they are over hyping this by like 35% 8 inches of rain and 35mph to 40mph wind over a 24hr to 30hr period this is nothing that we can not handle Here in Houston. Now along the coast and 20mile inland should see 12 inches of rain and 50mph wind still not to bad.
If they preempt the Stanley Cup Finals again tonight with some clowns driving around looking for high water spots in Montrose, or standing in ankle deep water in Kingwood, I may burn down KPRC.

Old 06-15-2015, 02:55 PM

57 posts, read 127,254 times
We're moving to Houston this summer, and are in town for a couple of days so that my son can do his Vanguard testing. It's scheduled for tomorrow morning at River Oaks Elementary - sigh. Who knows if it will actually happen or not with the predicted weather, but if it does, is there any sort of map that shows which streets tend to flood, and which don't? We'll be driving there from West U (again, assuming it is happening, and we can get out there).

Old 06-15-2015, 03:06 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,268,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechteach View Post
We're moving to Houston this summer, and are in town for a couple of days so that my son can do his Vanguard testing. It's scheduled for tomorrow morning at River Oaks Elementary - sigh. Who knows if it will actually happen or not with the predicted weather, but if it does, is there any sort of map that shows which streets tend to flood, and which don't? We'll be driving there from West U (again, assuming it is happening, and we can get out there).
I would goto Academy now, or some other similar sporting goods store and buy a small canoe with a 1.25hp outboard motor so you can maneuver easily in the flooded aftermath of this impending super-storm. If you do not already have a waterproof phone case, you will need one of those as well. Dont venture out until the tides have receded and the waves in the streets are less than 2 foot tall swells. Since your son will be testing be sure to pack a few MRE's in case all of the regular food supplies are lost. The MRE's are fully sealed and submersible. Get bright yellow ponchos as well, but make sure they are reflective. You do not want a larger watercraft missing you and swamping your canoe. In fact, it may be best to get a small battery powered bow & stern light when you get the canoe just to be safe.

Once the storm has passed, you can use phone to navigate the submersed streets and the motor should be sufficient to get you around at 10-12 mph, which should be plenty since the other cars will be flooded below you.

I am of course playing with you....if you watch the local news, this is what you THINK you will need in Houston. In all seriousness - though, just do not drive through water where you can't see the curb and you will be fine....the area around ROE is a grid, so there are lots and lots of ways to get to where you will be going that will be fine. That area does not normally flood, and if it does the worst that could happen would be you had to walk a little ways, but I suspect you will be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston