Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2015, 07:49 AM

2,047 posts, read 2,986,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I just stocked up with 250 gallons of gas, 100 gallons of water, 1 cow, 4 goats and a bushel of beans. I've bought every battery within 5 miles of my house, and I plan to start looking for flares and tarps.
Want to split the cow?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2015, 07:53 AM

17,029 posts, read 30,935,082 times
Firearms, and make sure you are chock full of bullets...gotta shoot the looters &/or Wild dogs that roam the streets looking for food.

Pre-made Canned food and bug spray.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:10 AM

1,133 posts, read 2,021,921 times
The Billpocalypse is nigh.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:02 AM

3,283 posts, read 6,054,392 times
Starting several weeks before hurricane season I begin a regiment of purposeful dehydration and fasting to acclimate my body for basic survival. I do obstacle course runs and martial arts work outs to prepare my body. Bottles of water arent going to stop cannibal tribes that form following the entrance of the storm system into houston

Old 06-15-2015, 09:14 AM

568 posts, read 1,129,749 times
Great thread!!! LMBO

Old 06-15-2015, 09:18 AM

203 posts, read 337,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I just stocked up with 250 gallons of gas, 100 gallons of water, 1 cow, 4 goats and a bushel of beans. I've bought every battery within 5 miles of my house, and I plan to start looking for flares and tarps.

That is how bad the news can hype it. They'll be sending their reporters out to the areas that flood easy and angling their cameras just so. I'm not saying they always do it, but they usually do.

It's obviously good to keep informed and do a little to prepare, but I wouldn't be too worried. Most likely, it won't develop into anything past a weak tropical storm, but stay vigilant because Allison was just a tropical storm.

My plan is to secure my patio furniture and make sure my generator fires up and keep an eye on my floating dock, but that's really about it.

I'll give you $1500 for 1/4 of your cow.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:28 AM

371 posts, read 543,884 times
Hey...you guys have a sense of humor

Hehehe!

I am concerned about power outages at my home, due to my home being the only one on the transformer. Last time we had a thunderstorm go through- I was without power for 20 hours. Also my biggest concern besides that is hoping work is not going to make me come in if it is too flooded on my streets and I do not really feel the greatest about driving down FM 2004 at 5am with the winds and heavy rain that could be flooding that dark road.

Maybe I could get all of the belongings that I care about from my home, and wave good bye to it if it floats away...."Bye Felicia!!!"

Old 06-15-2015, 10:32 AM

672 posts, read 848,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baggiegenes View Post
you forgot plywood. Buy it all. Best practice is to build a house around your house.
lmao

Old 06-15-2015, 10:50 AM

8,895 posts, read 20,007,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFiftyFour View Post
Hey...you guys have a sense of humor

Hehehe!

I am concerned about power outages at my home, due to my home being the only one on the transformer. Last time we had a thunderstorm go through- I was without power for 20 hours. Also my biggest concern besides that is hoping work is not going to make me come in if it is too flooded on my streets and I do not really feel the greatest about driving down FM 2004 at 5am with the winds and heavy rain that could be flooding that dark road.

Maybe I could get all of the belongings that I care about from my home, and wave good bye to it if it floats away...."Bye Felicia!!!"
Fortunately most employers know u can't get to work when streets are flooding. Although I'm sure there's a few jerks out there. If it were to be significant hurricane and a fairly direct hit like Ike was, some people went without power for a couple of weeks --even the glorious woodlands wasn't spared that. My boss in the woodlands went like 16 days without power. He is in Alden bridge. Those who live near fire stations and hospitals are lucky that if they share the power grids - that power comes back first.

Old 06-15-2015, 10:54 AM

371 posts, read 543,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
Fortunately most employers know u can't get to work when streets are flooding. Although I'm sure there's a few jerks out there. If it were to be significant hurricane and a fairly direct hit like Ike was, some people went without power for a couple of weeks --even the glorious woodlands wasn't spared that. My boss in the woodlands went like 16 days without power. He is in Alden bridge. Those who live near fire stations and hospitals are lucky that if they share the power grids - that power comes back first.
I work at a plant, they often could care less and expect you there pretty much no matter what. Guess time will tell. We got hit by 7" of rain the other day and the streets were close to not being drivable for my small "SUV".. since we just got hit by that amount of rain on Saturday I am wondering what it will be like if we have another bout of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston