Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 11:08 PM

166 posts, read 446,627 times

Advertisements

Hello,
I'm thinking about moving to Houston (or Austin) next year and was just wondering about whether or not there are hipsters in Houston. If so, how would you define a Houston hipster? I live in Portland, OR now and there are way too many hipsters here. It's gotten really out of control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 11:26 PM

568 posts, read 902,819 times
Houston "hipsters" are not that pretentious and are not as noticeable. They are not as noticeable because their fashion is not as uniformed as other areas. Also some are actually "yipsters" which is a combination of yuppie and hipster. Houston is very spread out so there is not a condensed area of them except for Montrose. There is def a "hispter" scene here albeit a small one but you can easily avoid it. Portland and Houston are night and day in just about every aspect in city living. Someone else will have to fill you in on Austin.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:36 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,367,757 times
Hehehe....this is a funny post. I think most of the hipsters here are yuppies. There is a user here on the boards that can actually categorize them and has mentioned that ours are not nearly as over the top hipster as Portland. But, there have been some elements of the show Portlandia that I have actually witnessed or experienced here in Houston.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsatyr View Post
Houston "hipsters" are not that pretentious and are not as noticeable. They are not as noticeable because their fashion is not as uniformed as other areas. Also some are actually "yipsters" which is a combination of yuppie and hipster. Houston is very spread out so there is not a condensed area of them except for Montrose. There is def a "hispter" scene here albeit a small one but you can easily avoid it. Portland and Houston are night and day in just about every aspect in city living. Someone else will have to fill you in on Austin.
Ahh, YES! I was hoping you'd chime in, xsatyr. You've given a lot of good insight on this subject and I still think you need to write about this

To the OP, this is the guy I mentioned in my post.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:41 PM

That's good to hear. I could see how Houston and Portland are very different: Houston is more car-oriented, sprawled out, conservative, much hotter weather, more religious, less of the great outdoors. I think that covers it, but I might be missing some. Oh yes, just thought of a very important different--Houston has a much, much stronger economy.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:45 PM

That's funny. Yeah, Portlandia hipsters are pretty over the top hehe -- I know there are people out there in Portland that are like that, but I've yet to actually meet one / have a conversation with one. That's funny that you've seen some of that in Houston. I guess there's a little bit of it everywhere. Seems to be a thing these days in most major cities.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1917 View Post
That's good to hear. I could see how Houston and Portland are very different: Houston is more car-oriented, sprawled out, conservative, much hotter weather, more religious, less of the great outdoors. I think that covers it, but I might be missing some.
Definitely sprawled out. Not so sure about the religious part. Definitely not in the sense that we preach it. Everyone that I know who has a faith in Christianity treats it as a private and almost sacred thing and not trying to big deal about it. Definitely nasty hot and humid in the summers. And yes, we are pretty much a big, flat open environment. No mountains or majestic landscapes. But, the hill country, which is only a couple hours away, is really beautiful in some places.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1917 View Post
That's good to hear. I could see how Houston and Portland are very different: Houston is more car-oriented, sprawled out, conservative, much hotter weather, more religious, less of the great outdoors. I think that covers it, but I might be missing some. Oh yes, just thought of a very important different--Houston has a much, much stronger economy.
It's probably not as conservative as you think. Our mayor is a lesbian Democrat but I'm sure you're well aware of that. Also Obama actually beat Romney in Harris County by a small margin in the election. It's a little more Democratic in the city limits.

Old 08-23-2013, 11:59 PM

Well, that's a relief b/c I don't like preachiness. I'm originally from a small Louisiana town, which was filled with very preachy Christians and I don't miss it in the least (even though I read the Bible and was raised Christian.) I don't know much about the hill country. Would that be the same as the hill country in Austin or are there other areas as well?

Old 08-24-2013, 12:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
Ahh, YES! I was hoping you'd chime in, xsatyr. You've given a lot of good insight on this subject and I still think you need to write about this

To the OP, this is the guy I mentioned in my post.
lol I had to respond to this thread. I am not really fond of identifying myself as a hipster but my friends and I are probably perceived that way by others. It does not help walking around in a chef coat with gauged ears and a tattoo on my neck. I don't wear tight pants though. My best friend who is a Mexican Republican cop would have a field day with that.

Last edited by xsatyr; 08-24-2013 at 01:33 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston