Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2013, 12:15 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,159,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris1917 View Post
Hello,
I'm thinking about moving to Houston (or Austin) next year and was just wondering about whether or not there are hipsters in Houston. If so, how would you define a Houston hipster? I live in Portland, OR now and there are way too many hipsters here. It's gotten really out of control.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2013, 12:15 AM

568 posts, read 902,819 times
Quote:
Well, that's a relief b/c I don't like preachiness. I'm originally from a small Louisiana town, which was filled with very preachy Christians and I don't miss it in the least (even though I read the Bible and was raised Christian.) I don't know much about the hill country. Would that be the same as the hill country in Austin or are there other areas as well?
I am agnostic and it's never been a problem for me. Most of my religious friends do not flaunt their beliefs and that topic is usually taboo in my experience between strangers.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:19 AM

166 posts, read 446,627 times
Why the head smack?

Old 08-24-2013, 12:23 AM

166 posts, read 446,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsatyr View Post
lol I had to respond to this thread. I am not really fond of identifying myself as a hipster but my friends and I are probably perceived that way by others. It does not help walking around in a chef jacket with gauged ears and a tattoo on my neck. I don't wear tight pants though. My best friend who is a Mexican Republican cop would have a field day with that.
hehe I don't mind the hipster look so much as the pretentiousness hipsters are known for. I actually like some hipster-ish things but I like what I like because I like it, not because I think it's the hip thing, which I think is the way of the hipster. I like art, a bunch of indie bands and film, vintage stuff...nothing wrong with tattoos, don't have any myself b/c I don't think I could commit to a particular image for life. I'm too indecisive!

Old 08-24-2013, 07:54 AM

8,030 posts, read 9,064,072 times
Quote:
That's good to hear. I could see how Houston and Portland are very different: Houston is more car-oriented, sprawled out, conservative, much hotter weather, more religious, less of the great outdoors. I think that covers it, but I might be missing some. Oh yes, just thought of a very important different--Houston has a much, much stronger economy.
Add to that much larger (4th largest city in US), more cosmopolitan and international, ethnically diverse, pro-sports oriented, more corporate, and big arts/culture (great museum district and theatre district.)

Old 08-24-2013, 09:24 AM

12,498 posts, read 27,025,526 times
Quote:
Hello,
I'm thinking about moving to Houston (or Austin) next year and was just wondering about whether or not there are hipsters in Houston. If so, how would you define a Houston hipster? I live in Portland, OR now and there are way too many hipsters here. It's gotten really out of control.
Austin would be too much like Portland IMO. Going from the kettle into the fire.

Houston entirely different city.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:42 AM

2,367 posts, read 4,701,818 times
Austin has way more hipsters than Houston. We have quite a few though. My friend dates a hipster in Austin and we went to some East 6th street hipster bar. It completely sucked! The big hipster bar here is Grand Prize. Cool patio, but I can't stand hipsters. Good luck.

Old 08-24-2013, 09:56 AM

1,574 posts, read 2,969,546 times
You really have to look for Hipsters in Houston. A lot of people here consider anybody when isn't corporate or douchy a hipster.

Old 08-24-2013, 12:19 PM

2,702 posts, read 6,036,538 times
Hipsters are in Austin, thank God.

Old 08-24-2013, 01:12 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,360,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Dollar View Post
You really have to look for Hipsters in Houston. A lot of people here consider anybody when isn't corporate or douchy a hipster.
And leave it to someone from Mississippi, the hipster haven, to set us straight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston