Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 12:41 PM

47 posts, read 360,144 times

Advertisements

I am looking to move to Houston, I've been living in New England most of my life, and love the atmosphere here. Especially during the Holidays (Thanksgiving + Christmas), You can really feel the spirit here and it actually feels like the holidays, but in Houston not so much. Are there any areas in Houston that is made to have the look and feel of New England? Lots of pine trees and a mixture of different trees together, nice parks, all in one area? Would love to know if an area like this exists in Houston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 02:55 PM

1,290 posts, read 5,437,134 times
NW part of town. Spring/Klein/Champions area, or the Woodlands.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:12 PM

179 posts, read 858,286 times
I second that. These areas have great light displays and there are TONSSSS of christmas activities in the Woodlands.

Old 11-02-2007, 09:54 PM

2,628 posts, read 8,831,829 times
I would think some of the older sections of Memorial would have a little more of that charm and feel. The lots are larger and more of the older trees remained. Check the areas north of Woodway, going towards the bayou & east of Chimney Rock, and on the other side of the bayou near Memorial Drive. Also the Memorial Villages. I would also say maybe Garden Oaks, especially section 1 over between Yale & Shepherd. The northern sections of Glenbrook Valley next to Sims Bayou. Idylwood around Spurlock park. The Boulevard Oaks/Chevy Chase/Broad Acres areas between Bissonnet and 59, from about 5 or 6 blocks west of Montrose over to about Shepherd.

The northwest does have trees, but in many of the newer areas most of them were bulldozed by the builders. There are better trees in the more mature neighborhoods out there like Northampton, Greenwood Forest, Champions, Huntwick, Memorial Northwest & Spring Creek Forest.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:25 AM

832 posts, read 3,853,196 times
Kingwood, The Woodlands

Old 11-03-2007, 07:43 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
I second the Memorial villages - Bunker Hill, Piney Point, etc.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:49 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,163 times
To my mind, West University has the most "New Englandy" feel of any neighborhood I have seen. One of the big reasons is that all the other areas mentioned are basically all brick which is not the case in New England. The housing diversity is much greater in West U. Also, the big overhanging trees contribute to the eastern feel of the neighborhood. There is also an element of this look in parts of The Heights. An entire street of nothing but two-story brick houses in the same color brick just doesn't speak to the New England feel at all.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:56 PM

564 posts, read 2,045,426 times
I tend to agree with Red Rover. The very thing I thought of was the greatere diversity of architecture in West U. or even the Rice University area in general.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:48 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times
I disagree with all of you. I love Houston very much. But I don't think there is any part of Houston that has a New England feel to it. Houston only has a Houston feel.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:03 PM

197 posts, read 261,592 times
I don't think that place exists in Houston. I think Houston can get away with Thanksgiving, but probably not Christmas! I think the architecture and weather in New England add a lot to the holiday feeling. (I'm in Boston now so I get a sense of what you're talking about a little bit, especially with Christmas! BRRR!) Houston proper is not trying to be like New England that's for sure--if anything you might find this type of feel in suburb but I still remain doubtful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston