Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 12:02 AM

38 posts, read 123,025 times

Advertisements

For the people that have moved here from other states do you ever feel like you've had enough of Houston, you tried living here, adjusting to your surroundings, do you ever feel like packing up and going back to where u came from?

Some background info, been here since '06 moved here from the los angeles area. left 3 yrs ago and came back because of financial reasons.

Lately I have been thinking of going back to cali for good, I have tried adjusting to the weather, the "life" out here...but its just not happening. I miss L.A. and the lifestyle it offers.

Me and my husband have no children, no friends, nor family here. Lately I have been asking myself a lot....why not be where u really want to be???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2012, 05:01 AM

3,333 posts, read 9,177,372 times
Hell no. I grew up in Detroit and I wouldn't pack to move back there on a bet. For me, the weather aside, California has nothing to offer.

Ronnie

Old 07-03-2012, 06:02 AM

23,995 posts, read 15,096,054 times
When my daughter was a student she worked at one of those places that finds jobs for people.

She wanted to move the border patrol from the Rio Grande to the Red River.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:31 AM

833 posts, read 1,887,587 times
I live in the LA area for about 6 months. I fully understand why you miss it, beautiful weather all year round, it was so awesome and very beautiful. Well minus the smog. I was ready to leave and come back to Houston just for the fact you would have to pay me triple what I am making to make it there with the same lifestyle I have here. It is just so crazy expensive. I was paying more for my 1980s 900 sqft apartment then I do for my newly built house.

There is a reason my Houston has such a low cost of living, it is hot, flat and humid. We have plenty of land and just keep growing out for relatively low cost housing and even inside the city is not badly priced compared to other major cities. You said it yourself you moved back do to money issues.

Get out more and make new friends, what you are feeling happens to everyone when they move to another city. If you can get a good network of friends you will enjoy where you live. I have 4 times to different cities in the last 5 years and until I made friends I would be homesick. Houston offers a large variety of people, try looking in different places to find the type of people you want to get to know. For example for the stereo type LA people I am sure there are plenty inside the loop neighborhoods if that is what you are looking for.

Old 07-03-2012, 07:12 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,452,315 times
I say, if you really feel like you are missing out not being somewhere else and feel like you would enjoy it more, why not go?

Old 07-03-2012, 07:44 AM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
Will never go back to San Antonio

Old 07-03-2012, 07:54 AM

448 posts, read 1,588,503 times
Every now and then wish I can be back in Brooklyn, usually this is around October when I am tired of the heat and miss my family. Luckily I have my mom down here, wife and kids.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:51 PM

391 posts, read 923,161 times
Default My Houston Story

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzntx View Post
For the people that have moved here from other states do you ever feel like you've had enough of Houston, you tried living here, adjusting to your surroundings, do you ever feel like packing up and going back to where u came from?

Some background info, been here since '06 moved here from the los angeles area. left 3 yrs ago and came back because of financial reasons.

Lately I have been thinking of going back to cali for good, I have tried adjusting to the weather, the "life" out here...but its just not happening. I miss L.A. and the lifestyle it offers.

Me and my husband have no children, no friends, nor family here. Lately I have been asking myself a lot....why not be where u really want to be???
I was born in Houston in 1979... before I even knew any better my family had moved to a small town in east Texas. When we moved back when I was in the 1st grade; I was amazed at the big city! So many things I had never seen before like skyscrapers, malls, freeways (which I thought were extra wide roads), Astroworld, Waterworld, NASA... wow!! Well, I watched the city grow throughout my grade school years and by the time I went to college I was ready to get out of Houston. I was accepted at Texas Tech University and I knew that when I left Houston I would probably never be back. When graduation time came, I had an option to move to either Denver, Dallas or Houston. I chose Houston. After all these years I know I made the best decision. Every time I visit a new city, I constantly compare it to Houston and after all these years I have found that no place comes close to being as great at Houston, Texas! Houston has drastically changed in my 32 years of living. I have witnessed with my own eyes a transformation of this place. I cannot tell you how proud of Houston I am. If you know me from other posts on here you have noticed that I praise Houston ALOT, well now you know why. I grew up in Houston, I grew up with Houston and I absolutely love Houston!!!

Old 07-03-2012, 12:58 PM

830 posts, read 1,729,891 times
Many people feel like they've "had enough" of a new location. Sounds like you've given Houston a good chance to grow on you, and it hasn't. Life is too short to live somewhere you hate. Time to come up with a plan that would make living somewhere else financially feasible.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:04 PM

1,574 posts, read 2,967,268 times
I don't like the Houston lifestyle or vibe of the city. I am not materialistic. I am equally happy in a small apartment or huge house. I will never buy another house in the US. What a pain. Houston's heat leaves you drained by the end of September. However, I would miss the friends I have here. That would be the only reason I would stay. Well, that and the huge amount of illegal immigrants is good for my job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston