Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 07:31 PM

1,031 posts, read 1,451,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingDetroit View Post
I'm not sure I understand the rhetoric questions. I don't mean to be rude or funny, maybe just a bit slow. Perhaps the poster can explain the meaning?

I do know though from close up and hard experience what will happen to a town with its industry on the brink, in bankruptcy, no one buying its products, huge market share losses from overseas competitors, heavy overhead costs not faced by its newer/foreign competitors (i.e., pension benefits). I'm from Detroit and I can tell you most of my life it hasn't been pretty the domestic auto industry and Detroit has suffered, but around 2009 it was downright UGLY. I'd also point out other places like Pittsburg (steel) have suffered similar declines. On the other hand, single-industry towns have been able to diversity and stay alive. Detroit is slowly crawling its way out.

I'm relocating to Houston and I am somewhat frightened of the fact that Houston's roaring economy is posed for a fall if petroleum prices go south. Please tell me I'm wrong and there is not another Armageddon waiting for me in Houston.
Houston has diversified it's economy a lot since the 80s, while I think if prices start spiraling downward it won't be pretty for us, it also won't leave us in a doomed situation.. but it will cause some damage.

I am glad that oil is making us so much money in this town, but I still think we should not be blinded by those profits and not continue to try and diversify even more. Thankfully, I do not believe that is the case though, I think all the good news from oil is just taking up room in the media right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 06:50 AM

1,475 posts, read 2,770,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingDetroit View Post
I'm not sure I understand the rhetoric questions. I don't mean to be rude or funny, maybe just a bit slow. Perhaps the poster can explain the meaning?

I do know though from close up and hard experience what will happen to a town with its industry on the brink, in bankruptcy, no one buying its products, huge market share losses from overseas competitors, heavy overhead costs not faced by its newer/foreign competitors (i.e., pension benefits). I'm from Detroit and I can tell you most of my life it hasn't been pretty the domestic auto industry and Detroit has suffered, but around 2009 it was downright UGLY. I'd also point out other places like Pittsburg (steel) have suffered similar declines. On the other hand, single-industry towns have been able to diversity and stay alive. Detroit is slowly crawling its way out.

I'm relocating to Houston and I am somewhat frightened of the fact that Houston's roaring economy is posed for a fall if petroleum prices go south. Please tell me I'm wrong and there is not another Armageddon waiting for me in Houston.
Houston is not an oil town, it's a natural gas town. About 80% of the business here centers around power and natural gas pipelines. Let me give you some perspective. Natural gas prices peaked several years ago in the mid teens (say $15 or so). Since that peak nat gas prices fell almost 90%!!!!!!!! The low was put in last year at 1.90. And while prices fell 90% the Houston economy did not weaken, it actually exploded to the upside. What was driving this growth. Medical, housing, construction, technology, defense and shipping. If your argument was valid, the economy of Houston should have imploded with nat gas prices fell 90%. But it didn't. Nat gas has since recovered from those lows, currently back above $4. The future for nat gas looks pretty bright especially with LNG on the horizon. The real driver going forward is not going to be energy though, it will be healthcare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston