Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 10:37 PM

1,475 posts, read 2,782,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy2788 View Post
I will agree with this point, welfare programs are not meant to be long-term, they were meant to help people for short periods of time. Unfortunately, there are those out there (the exception to the rule) that take great advantage of the system, which have ruined it for a lot of people that actually honestly need it.

Because of such people there is such a huge stigma for people that need to use these programs. It is not arguable that there are loop-holes and inefficiency in the system that need to be looked at and fixed, it's just a matter of getting people to agree on WHAT these issues are.
Let me be clear about my position. I am not worried about the people abusing the system. The amount of abuse adds up to a small pittance compared to the damage done by a corrupt government. I never did get the argument about being mad that some guy out there is scamming the gov't for $70 a month in food stamps. I care far more about the 15 billion we send over seas in foreign aid to corrupt dictators.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 10:57 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,088,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
This country has never had universal health care, and it's not like there are mass people dying in streets from a lack of health. Just like if they got rid of food stamps I seriously doubt there would be mass starvation in streets.
Not having health care means disease and death even though you don't *see* it because people are not keeling over in the streets.

http://familiesusa2.org/assets/pdfs/...r-Coverage.pdf

Quote:
Across the nation, 26,100 people between the ages of 25 and 64 died prematurely due
to a lack of health coverage in 2010 (Table 1). That works out to:

„ 2,175 people who died prematurely every month;
„ 502 people who died prematurely every week;
„ 72 people who died prematurely every day; or
„ Three every hour.
Quote:
The five states with the most premature deaths due to uninsurance in 2010 were
California (3,164 deaths), Texas (2,955 deaths), Florida (2,272 deaths), New York (1,247
deaths), and Georgia (1,161 deaths)
As for hunger, you don't have a clue. While people in the United States are not starving to death, they are often poorly nourished which affects their health and their ability to learn (when we are talking about children). We have a free breakfast and lunch program, but these are not as good as they should be.

Hunger Statistics, Hunger Facts & Poverty Facts | Feeding America

Quote:
These seven states have statistically higher food insecurity rates than the US national average (14.7%):

Mississippi (19.2%)
Texas (18.5%)
Arkansas (19.2%)
Alabama (17.4%)
Georgia (17.4%)
Florida (16.2%)
North Carolina (17.1%)

Old 04-17-2013, 06:36 AM

8,227 posts, read 11,197,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Not having health care means disease and death even though you don't *see* it because people are not keeling over in the streets.

As for hunger, you don't have a clue. While people in the United States are not starving to death, they are often poorly nourished which affects their health and their ability to learn (when we are talking about children). We have a free breakfast and lunch program, but these are not as good as they should be.

Spare me your Michael Moore reporting of exaggerating one or two cases and acting like its a epidemic. Also which one is it, I thought we were the fattest nation, but then liberals turn around and say there is mass starvation in the country. There are tons of private charities that help people out there. You have catholic charities, christian charities, You have doctors who donate free medical care. See unlike liberals who just talk a good game and there answer is for more government spending, christians are actually putting there money with there mouths is. Like I said if the goverment were to do away with food stamps/welfare I seriously doubt people would be starving on the streets. People would either be highly, highly motivated to get off their ass and get any job they could get to put food on the table and not stick their nose up at jobs that are "beneath them" or two private local charities would help those truly in need, and not the free loaders like the government does.

Free Clinics Houston TX | Free Health Clinics Houston TX | Houston Free Clinics

Home - Catholic Charities of the Archdiocese of Galveston - Houston

Christian Community Service Center

Star of Hope Mission: For Houston's Homeless - Star of Hope Mission - For Houston's Homeless

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1810425.html

http://therooftopblog.wordpress.com/...rity-abc-says/

Last edited by 14Bricks; 04-17-2013 at 06:51 AM..

Old 04-17-2013, 07:27 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,458,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jek74 View Post
Let me be clear about my position. I am not worried about the people abusing the system. The amount of abuse adds up to a small pittance compared to the damage done by a corrupt government. I never did get the argument about being mad that some guy out there is scamming the gov't for $70 a month in food stamps. I care far more about the 15 billion we send over seas in foreign aid to corrupt dictators.
I agree, I never understood why we sent/send tons of money to people that hate us. I say screw 'em and cut off the tap.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:38 AM

421 posts, read 753,281 times
Quote:
Spare me your Michael Moore reporting of exaggerating one or two cases and acting like its a epidemic. Also which one is it, I thought we were the fattest nation, but then liberals turn around and say there is mass starvation in the country. There are tons of private charities that help people out there. You have catholic charities, christian charities, You have doctors who donate free medical care. See unlike liberals who just talk a good game and there answer is for more government spending, christians are actually putting there money with there mouths is. Like I said if the goverment were to do away with food stamps/welfare I seriously doubt people would be starving on the streets. People would either be highly, highly motivated to get off their ass and get any job they could get to put food on the table and not stick their nose up at jobs that are "beneath them" or two private local charities would help those truly in need, and not the free loaders like the government does.

Star of Hope Mission: For Houston's Homeless - Star of Hope Mission - For Houston's Homeless

Religion And Giving: More Religious States Give More To Charity

Christians and Conservatives Give More to Charity, ABC Says | rooftop

You can easily be fat and malnourished. Poor people often don't have access to healthy food because on average high calorie junk is cheaper then fresh fruits and vegetables.

The cost we pay for food stamps isn't what is putting us in debt so I don't know why people focus on this vs the trillion dollar bail outs and military spending.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:50 AM
fnh

2,886 posts, read 3,941,867 times
I would love to see a breakdown of federal funding flowing into the Houston area in the form of research dollars to universities and medical center, corporate subsidies, defense spending, transportation, etc. I remember reading that Texas is a 'taker' state - i.e. receives more federal funding than it pays out. I know the original article looked at tax burden aside from federal taxes, but it is shortsighted to think that huge amounts of federal dollars flowing in doesn't subsidize Houston to some degree. Large or small, it would be nice to have some transparency. I don't think people realize the extent they benefit from taxes.

Also, did anyone else notice in the article the OP posted that the lowest income bracket has the highest tax burden relative to other Houstonians?

Old 04-17-2013, 08:14 AM

4,460 posts, read 5,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
I bet anything that San Antonio has more homeless people than San Francisco.
At least in San Francisco housing is expensive and there's no land for more housing, I don't know what's the excuse in San Antonio.
Do you ever get anything right?

Thrive DC

Old 04-17-2013, 08:17 AM

4,460 posts, read 5,397,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post

You do realize the top four states in uninsured deaths (not sure how to prove that's why they died when you get treatment for FREE) are top four states by population in the country don't you?

Old 04-17-2013, 08:39 AM

231 posts, read 329,808 times
Quote:

Religion And Giving: More Religious States Give More To Charity

Christians and Conservatives Give More to Charity, ABC Says | rooftop
Some of the homeless missions such as 1000 Hills were shut down because of the new government "don't feed the homeless law." Apparently they would rather them eat out of the garbage than from people not licensed to prepare food.

http://blog.chron.com/houstonpolitic...asses-council/
http://blog.chron.com/pastorrudy/201...-the-question/

Old 04-17-2013, 08:49 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,631,006 times
[quote=14Bricks;29160533]Spare me your Michael Moore reporting of exaggerating one or two cases and acting like its a epidemic. Also which one is it, I thought we were the fattest nation, but then liberals turn around and say there is mass starvation in the country. There are tons of private charities that help people out there. You have catholic charities, christian charities, You have doctors who donate free medical care. See unlike liberals who just talk a good game and there answer is for more government spending, christians are actually putting there money with there mouths is. Like I said if the goverment were to do away with food stamps/welfare I seriously doubt people would be starving on the streets. People would either be highly, highly motivated to get off their ass and get any job they could get to put food on the table and not stick their nose up at jobs that are "beneath them" or two private local charities would help those truly in need, and not the free loaders like the government does.[quote]

And what do we do when the motivation for men becomes crime and women becomes prostitution? This is happening already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston