Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2013, 06:53 PM

6 posts, read 11,022 times

Advertisements

Hello All, My family and I are going to be relocating to Houston Texas from California. I have 3 children 2 in middle and one going to high school so schools are very important. I am not sure where are our new facility will be so I really dont know where i will be commuting to but im seems that these 3 areas are the "nicer" suburbs in town. We will looking to buy from to 250,000 to the 300,000. We will be flying out there in a month or so to tour the areas so I would love some input from the people who live in these communites as far as pros and cons.. Thank You...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2013, 07:30 PM

1,915 posts, read 3,240,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisleahcatx View Post
Hello All, My family and I are going to be relocating to Houston Texas from California. I have 3 children 2 in middle and one going to high school so schools are very important. I am not sure where are our new facility will be so I really dont know where i will be commuting to but im seems that these 3 areas are the "nicer" suburbs in town. We will looking to buy from to 250,000 to the 300,000. We will be flying out there in a month or so to tour the areas so I would love some input from the people who live in these communites as far as pros and cons.. Thank You...
Where will you be working?

Old 03-26-2013, 07:55 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,905 times
You really are going to want to pick based on where the job is located. Find that out first and go from there.

We live in Sugar Land (Fort Bend) and love it, but if the job is in the Woodlands, you wouldn't want to live in Sugar Land. It would be way too far.

Good luck with the move.

Old 03-26-2013, 08:06 PM

6 posts, read 11,022 times
From what I understand the corp office will be in the galleria but we will only have to report to the office twice weekly. So in essence the commute doesn't matter. Thanks again.

Old 03-26-2013, 09:36 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,905 times
Quote:
From what I understand the corp office will be in the galleria but we will only have to report to the office twice weekly. So in essence the commute doesn't matter. Thanks again.

Ok then. My husband works in the galleria area, and the commute from Sugar Land is not bad. The Woodlands is quite a hike though.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Good luck with your move to Houston. Sugar Land would probably be the best of the above suburbs for a Galleria commute, but if you only need to commute 2 days/week, it's not that big of a deal. Cypress would by far give you the best house for the price, but it would be the 2nd worst commute. Katy is very nice and still has very nice newer homes in your price range, and it has the second best commute.

While Sugar Land will have the best commute, if you want a nice & newer home, be prepared to add AT LEAST $100k to your budget, probably more. I do not recommended buying there unless 1) You're rich and can afford $400k for a home and 2) You plan to stay in the home for a long time as prices are inflated there and you may lose money if you plan to move in 3-5 years.

I would not recommend the Woodlands as it is experiencing a similar price jump to Sugar Land and a Galleria commute from there would suck.

I would go with Katy.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:21 PM

241 posts, read 585,684 times
The Galleria is quite reachable from my area of Katy. Without traffic I can be there door to door in about 20 minutes. I think that your dollar would stretch a little further in Katy than it would in Sugar Land.

Old 03-26-2013, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysflyin View Post
The Galleria is quite reachable from my area of Katy. Without traffic I can be there door to door in about 20 minutes. I think that your dollar would stretch a little further in Katy than it would in Sugar Land.
THIS I agree with. It is still possible to get a very nice house in Katy without being rich.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:46 AM

To the person who PMed me that a $400k home is not rich, it's all relative, but I can agree that a $400k home is NOT middle class. That is definitely entering upper middle class territory. Middle class houses are $200-300k range. Most families don't make $200k+/year so whoever said that was middle class is completely full of it. To the person who lives in that $1 Million house who claims to not be rich you either over-extended yourself or came into that house some other way. If I had the means to qualify for a $1 Million home, I would certainly not spend that much on a home and would allocate/invest my money such that I would be rich in no time.

Old 03-27-2013, 02:12 AM

536 posts, read 1,062,812 times
I live in Cypress (well Copper Lakes) and commute to the Galleria. If you're only going there twice a week IMO the commute will be fine. I go in early to miss the traffic. You can get a lot of house in Cypress for your money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston