Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 11:33 AM

1,031 posts, read 1,458,257 times

Advertisements

Having grown up in the Katy area, if I had to choose between it and Cypress, then I would definitely go with Cypress. That is unless you are going to be living in the south side of the Katy area or the actual city of Katy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 04:04 PM

6 posts, read 11,082 times
Thanks for the replies guys!! I have spoken with some native Houstonian transplants here in So Cal and there all over the map has far where to buy, some say cinco ranch in katy others say cypress or the woodland because of the trees "which would be a nice change of scenery" not looking for the fancy upper class neighborhoods just were there are good family type people, good eating, and some out door type activites..I have been to Houston several times but never ventured out due to time but I am aware of the hot humid summers and the roller coaster type weather. P.S. there are half a dozen familes from our company moving your way and there all asking me for updates lol..

Old 03-27-2013, 04:12 PM

174 posts, read 409,206 times
what company is your husband working for ? Are they relocating their office to Houston ? or is it just the cost of living in Houston that attracts half a dozen families from the same company from S. Cal to here ?
Sugar Land has the better commute to Galleria, then Katy. Cypress is a a kind of far away. Woodland will be too far away. I think you will get better idea of the communities once you arrived in Houston.

Old 03-27-2013, 04:21 PM

Company being split up into two. "energy and gas" going to texas. those of us who are vested are going to tx..

Old 03-27-2013, 04:24 PM

131 posts, read 539,640 times
That budget won't get you into a "well kept" home in Sugar Land with enough room for a family and a good school district.

I'm not huge on Cypress, especially if you're commuting to the Galleria.

So I'd vote Katy south of I-10. Don't limit yourself to just Cinco Ranch. There are a ton of neighborhoods that surround it that offer a little more value for your buck at your price point. $300k doesn't go all that far in Cinco these days since they're really building out and there aren't too many lots left in Cinco SW/Cinco NW (compared to the original size). Resales are all over the place, but most that are "very desirable" with respect to condition are going to be above $300k judging by my search last year.

As an example, my wife and I built a house in Church Hill Farms, which is a small community inbetween Cinco SW/NW, Cross Creek Ranch and Cardiff Ranch. To get the same house and lot that we got would be an easy $75-100k more in Cinco SW, and our original budget was similar to yours. So definitely shop wisely if you're trying to stretch your pennies!

Old 03-27-2013, 06:30 PM

286 posts, read 557,571 times
$300k is right for Sugar Land homes. I personally wouldn't consider spending more than $250k in Cypress. Cypress is in Harris not Fort Bend County, and that area is all ETJ Houston, even Houston nowadays is fairly strict on approving multi-unit dwelling construction. Cypress also has many LIHTC apartments and housing rentals that accept Section 8 vouchers. It'll be a few years before US-290 construction is finished, though Segement E of Grand Parkway will be done by years end.

But until you find out where you'll be commuting it's hard to say where you'd want to live.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:08 PM

I was told that Sugar Land is very nice BUT very close to the Sw houston and alief side of town and that those areas were to be avoided at all cost. Second hand info.. but any validity to that??

Old 03-27-2013, 07:26 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,274,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaqueCosto View Post
$300k is right for Sugar Land homes. I personally wouldn't consider spending more than $250k in Cypress. Cypress is in Harris not Fort Bend County, and that area is all ETJ Houston, even Houston nowadays is fairly strict on approving multi-unit dwelling construction. Cypress also has many LIHTC apartments and housing rentals that accept Section 8 vouchers. It'll be a few years before US-290 construction is finished, though Segement E of Grand Parkway will be done by years end.

But until you find out where you'll be commuting it's hard to say where you'd want to live.
$300k WAS right for Sugar Land homes. Now it's more like $375-450k. I agreed that Fort Bend ETJ Houston is much better than Harris ETJ Houston.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:28 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,274,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisleahcatx View Post
I was told that Sugar Land is very nice BUT very close to the Sw houston and alief side of town and that those areas were to be avoided at all cost. Second hand info.. but any validity to that??
Sugar Land has a good police force. Crime is probably similar in both Katy & Sugar Land (it exists but is not horrible). I think Cypress would have the highest tendency to go downhill. I'm not sure what's happening to the NW side of Houston, but it's always in the news.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:31 PM

286 posts, read 557,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisleahcatx View Post
Somewhat true...that area is zoned to Kempner High School which is a good school.

Also that area isn't really within Sugar Land city limits, area just has a Sugar Land mailing address since their post office is located in Sugar Land plus there aren't too many homes north of US-90 selling in your price range. And don't let people discourage you, you can get a new home in Riverstone or Telfair for $300k. Though price per square foot in those communities (especially Telfair) is a bit high, still not anything like Cali.

You'll need a realtor to familiarize yourself with the area. Meanwhile check out har.com and houstontranstar.org
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston