Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 07:35 PM

286 posts, read 555,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown2013 View Post
$300k WAS right for Sugar Land homes. Now it's more like $375-450k. I agreed that Fort Bend ETJ Houston is much better than Harris ETJ Houston.
You can get an excellent used home for $300k in First Colony (FBISD), New Territory (FBISD) or Greatwood (LCISD). And $250k is way past the median in River Park (LCISD).

http://www.har.com/neighborhoods/RIV...ion-26460.html

And if you really want $300k can get a new home in Riverstone and possibly Telfair, it won't be very large, but the OP is from Cali.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 07:38 PM

6 posts, read 11,022 times
Thanks for the websites they seem to be VERY helpful! were suppose to get a corporate type realtor very soon and yes southern california home prices are laughable to say the least..

Old 03-27-2013, 08:35 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,662,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisleahcatx View Post
I was told that Sugar Land is very nice BUT very close to the Sw houston and alief side of town and that those areas were to be avoided at all cost. Second hand info.. but any validity to that??
It totally depends where you are in Sugar Land. I live in Sugar Land and am not near Alief at all. We love it here.

Old 03-27-2013, 09:18 PM

286 posts, read 555,136 times
Quote:
Thanks for the replies guys!! I have spoken with some native Houstonian transplants here in So Cal and there all over the map has far where to buy, some say cinco ranch in katy others say cypress or the woodland because of the trees "which would be a nice change of scenery" not looking for the fancy upper class neighborhoods just were there are good family type people, good eating, and some out door type activites..
In your price range it's basically Cinco Ranch / Cross Creek Ranch. Sugar Land or The Woodlands. Also Sienna Plantation along with the northern portion of Riverstone which are in Missouri City.

Cinco Ranch is zoned to Katy ISD
CCR is zoned to Katy ISD and LCISD
all of Sugar Land is zoned FBISD except Greatwood and River Park which are zoned to LCISD
Sienna Plantation and Riverstone are zoned to FBISD
Aliana zoned FBISD

Bridgeland in Cypress is in your price range but that development will take some time to come along and it's zoned to three separate school districts. Bridgeland is large enough that by itself it could support its own high school someday, but not three. For that kind of money I'd just stay out of Cypress or at least wait until the area further builds out.

Of all of the above only Sugar Land, Missouri City, and Fulshear (CCR) are actual cities. The rest are ETJ Houston. Fortunately after Houston annexed Kingwood against the residents will Texas passed laws to stop that from happening again but obviously laws can change.

Basically where you will live is largely determined on where you are commuting to work. For instance if it's the Energy Corridor then it'd be CCR or Cinco Ranch via I-10. If Uptown then Sugar Land via US-59 or if Downtown then The Woodlands.

Recently Houston added HOT lanes along US-59 and I-45 to help with traffic but regardless traffic is ugly in Houston, not Cali ugly but it's pretty bad, after the 2008 recession hit Houston freeway construction slowed while the city kept growing.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:37 AM

342 posts, read 803,077 times
Quote:
I was told that Sugar Land is very nice BUT very close to the Sw houston and alief side of town and that those areas were to be avoided at all cost. Second hand info.. but any validity to that??
Sugar Land is very diverse compare to your choices. Southwest Houston is the highest crime area, there are 4 HPD substations within a 20 mile area (this according to my popo friend). You definitely don't want to hang around Bissonnet, Gulfton, Hwy 6/Bellaire and S. Post Oak (Willowridge) area. My cousin has lived in Sugar Land for 30+ years, he has never been a victim of crime, so it is a very safe area. Sugar Land police probaly are too overprotective according to my cousin, they will pull you over if you don't look right. I've never been pulled over in The Woodlands, I've been there since Reagan was first elected. If you want a community feel, WDLS have it. So much so that residents have informally asked organizers to limit (active lifestyle, or at the park) events. We've had marathons, kids fun run, Iron Man and recently a charity medical run. Schooling is great, choices of private (J.Cooper, or WDLS Christian Academy), or public schools. I do cycling a lot around the area and I feel safe, so safe that 3/4 cars usually gives me the right of way. Sometimes I have to stop myself and do a hi-type wave, so that cars don't stop in the middle of the road to let me go. I've had my run-ins with the WDLS Home Assoc., so I'm not working for WDLS.

Woodlands Community>Schooling>Commute
Cypress Price>Schooling>Commute
Sugar Land Diversity>Commute>Modern Housing>Schooling
Katy (south of I-10)/Cinco Ranch New Housing>Commute>Schooling

You can't go wrong with your choices, just finding your preference. If you want the best for your kids, The Woodlands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston