Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 09:49 AM

686 posts, read 1,169,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
I'm all for blowing it up. It doesn't hold any sentimental value to me.
What do you both think it should be? If you suggest it stay up, you should at least have an idea.
This has been debated verbatim on this forum.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...bring-tax.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...nally-get.html
https://www.city-data.com/forum/houst...st-indoor.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2013, 09:52 AM

56 posts, read 79,303 times
Turn the Astrodome into an indoor recreation amusement park. Build something like this inside the Astrodome but scale down to 200ft. max height with: snow lift, indoor white water kayaking, 200 ft rock climbing wall, half pipe for snow boarding, indoor sky diving, florider surfing, ice skating rink, and etc..

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...ed=0CCsQ9QEwBQ

Old 03-14-2013, 10:31 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,994,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
Speak for yourself sir. I don't think the Dome is an Eyesore.
I agree. Plus many stations just slap on a facade so that the side facing the street is presentable.

The Hauptbahnhof in Zurick looks pretty from certain angles but it looks like an industrial mess from others.

This is what it looks like from the front:

Here is another angle:

both images are public use images from wiki.

Houston is a modern city so I don't think the facade would be so stately looking, but they can do a modern facade that is appealing.

The Hauptbahnhof in Berlin is more Houston's speed.

pic from wiki commons
It would look more in line with Reliant

Houston could totally steal the spaceship motif to keep in like with the spacecity image:

wiki commons pic.

Manchester in England went the opposite route. They turned an old train station into an exhibition center. They also attached an Arena to their Victoria station. Its position on the rail allowed it to be one of the top two busiest arenas in the world selling twice as many tickets as Madison Square Garden and four times as many as Cynthia Woods. And this is Manchester, not London. I like how they reuse and re-purpose things in Europe. The Only Arena surpassing the Manchester one was the O2.

Like The Astrodome the O2 stayed empty for awhile.
Like The Astrodome it cost tax payers millions to maintain empty

But look at it now. Its the Busiest concert venue in the WORLD!!!!!!!

Would be nice to have a concert venue on top of a rail station, in the heart of the city, instead of having to drive 30 miles to the north

Old 03-14-2013, 11:11 AM

686 posts, read 1,169,200 times
H-TownLove, anyway we can get to those County Commissioners meetings and give them a kick in the rear? lol

Old 03-14-2013, 11:29 AM

1,806 posts, read 4,316,728 times
national historic site...worlds first dome there are thousand uses of it.

Old 03-14-2013, 12:17 PM

18,139 posts, read 25,330,929 times
Htownlove,
thanks for the comment

Here's another idea for the "eyesore"

Old 03-14-2013, 12:29 PM

24,035 posts, read 15,136,960 times
What does it cost to air condition that place?

They were able to redo and use the old train stations because the track was there. St. Louis did it, too. DH took the train from St. Louis to Kansas City all the time. It was easier than flying.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:54 PM

2,931 posts, read 5,278,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttx View Post
I believe a complete demolition is in-order. You don't convert you're old car into a new car, why not make it the same with stadiums. Turn it into a courtyard/pep-rally spot for Reliant Stadium.

I like the idea to turn into a planetarium but I think that basically nobody thought that through completely. The roof is way too tall and unusable to make it into a regular space-themed museum and it would be absolutely ridiculous to just plate the roof and add telescopes inside. It would be a giant playground with walls not reaching the top. And besides, the maintenance cost would remain just as high.

I think someone just sat down and thought "dome" and related it to "space". Completely ridiculous idea.
Although the second part of your post started to make some half-sense, I have to completely disagree with your 1st paragraph. It's that type of thinking that has plagued cities like Houston and Dallas for years. They don't preserve their history like San Antonio, they just tear it down and build something new.

It is frustrating to see the Astrodome just sitting there unutilized. But as someone said, there's crooked politics going on. Dirty politicians are making plenty of money conducting surveys and polls from ideas on what to do with the Astrodome. As long as they can continue doing this, there will be no immediate plans to reinvigorate life into the dome.

Old 03-14-2013, 02:10 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,994,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Htownlove,
thanks for the comment

Here's another idea for the "eyesore"

ohhh that looks fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouTXmetro View Post
H-TownLove, anyway we can get to those County Commissioners meetings and give them a kick in the rear? lol
that sounds like fun too

Old 03-14-2013, 03:35 PM

2,086 posts, read 4,138,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
I agree. Plus many stations just slap on a facade so that the side facing the street is presentable.

The Hauptbahnhof in Zurick looks pretty from certain angles but it looks like an industrial mess from others.

Houston is a modern city so I don't think the facade would be so stately looking, but they can do a modern facade that is appealing.
So your saying its not an eyesore but lets put up a facade so people won't see how ugly it is. You're going to need a lot of lipstick for that pig!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston