Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2007, 06:22 AM

2 posts, read 5,600 times

Advertisements

I have just moved from the UK to Houston with my wife and 2 young kids (2 year old & 8 month old). I will be working at the Medical Center and we have leased an apartment in 77098. Does anyone know of any mom and toddler groups in this area? Also, are there any parks in this area suitable for kids of this age.

On a different note, can anyone tell me about public transport links from Buffalo Speedway to the Medical Center?

We have found the people very friendly, but the move has been stressful to say the least! Therefore, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2007, 06:29 AM

49 posts, read 228,869 times
I don't live in Houston, but we are planning to relocate there from Chicago. I am a stay at home mom of a 1 year old, so I was wondering the same thing about playgroups. I suggest checking out meetup.com, putting in your ZIP code, and searching for "parenting" groups. When I did that, there was quite a list. Hope that helps!

Old 10-24-2007, 10:02 AM

657 posts, read 2,557,044 times
2 parks near that zip code would be Bell Park at 4800 Montrose and Hermann Park at 6001 Fannin. Hermann's the bigger park.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:33 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,618,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Premont View Post
2 parks near that zip code would be Bell Park at 4800 Montrose and Hermann Park at 6001 Fannin. Hermann's the bigger park.
Yeah. Hermann's the Central Park of Houston.

Old 10-24-2007, 10:56 AM

Location: where nothin ever grows. no rain or rivers flow, TX
2,028 posts, read 8,152,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Yeah. Hermann's the Central Park of Houston.
you mean central park in houston

Old 10-25-2007, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
you mean central park in houston
No. I mean the Central Park of Houston. It's one of the two most beautiful parks in the city, it's full of cultural activites, and is adjacent to our Museum District. Just like CP in Manhattan. Who cares if you don't think it's up to par?
I believe I've already told you what you can do with your opinions.

Old 10-25-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
No. I mean the Central Park of Houston. It's one of the two most beautiful parks in the city, it's full of cultural activites, and is adjacent to our Museum District. Just like CP in Manhattan. Who cares if you don't think it's up to par?
I believe I've already told you what you can do with your opinions.
oh ok. hermann park is a golf course i believe

Old 10-25-2007, 10:50 AM

128 posts, read 459,309 times
Some might say Memorial Park is the Central Park of Houston. I know it's probably not as popular as Herman, but as far as looks, very similar to Central Park.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaTex View Post
Some might say Memorial Park is the Central Park of Houston. I know it's probably not as popular as Herman, but as far as looks, very similar to Central Park.
ok thats another golf course.
does houston have a park with good water features, restaurants, skating rink/several ponds, a dozen baseball fields and tennis courts etc with people regularly visiting it after school or work, and you can drive thru the park for a scenic view? and does not have a golf course (too rich)

Old 10-25-2007, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
ok thats another golf course.
does houston have a park with good water features, restaurants, skating rink/several ponds, a dozen baseball fields and tennis courts etc with people regularly visiting it after school or work, and you can drive thru the park for a scenic view? and does not have a golf course (too rich)
Well, like you've pointed out time and time again, this is not New York. This is Houston. There's no need to be like them.

All I was implying was that if there is a park in this city closest to CP, it's Hermann. No one's saying that they're equally as good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston