Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 10:20 AM

366 posts, read 797,379 times

Advertisements

Another great list, but with interesting comments.

Why Houston is the best city in America - Business Insider
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 11:30 AM

4,131 posts, read 7,445,051 times
Here we go again. Jobs alone don't make a city great. Museums and parks are the only amenities for citizens that are listed... But museums don't affect day to day quality of life. Listing acreage of parks is just stupid because it's about quality not quantity--- and location, and nature of the parks. I don't really consider a paved walkway through a lawn to be a park, or a paved walkway along a drainage canal. I do photography as a side job, and Houston is the one city I've lived in where it's difficult to find a nice park to do outdoor photo shoots.

And the housing thing? Look at prices of housing in nice urban neighborhoods and compare them to other cities. Who gives a hoot about cheap tract housing in treeless suburbs? Quality of life matters, and disregard for that in favor of JORBS AND SQUARE FEETZ is exactly what is wrong with Houston culture.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 05-31-2013 at 11:47 AM..

Old 05-31-2013, 12:15 PM

725 posts, read 1,241,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
Here we go again. Jobs alone don't make a city great. Museums and parks are the only amenities for citizens that are listed... But museums don't affect day to day quality of life. Listing acreage of parks is just stupid because it's about quality not quantity--- and location, and nature of the parks. I don't really consider a paved walkway through a lawn to be a park, or a paved walkway along a drainage canal. I do photography as a side job, and Houston is the one city I've lived in where it's difficult to find a nice park to do outdoor photo shoots.

And the housing thing? Look at prices of housing in nice urban neighborhoods and compare them to other cities. Who gives a hoot about cheap tract housing in treeless suburbs? Quality of life matters, and disregard for that in favor of JORBS AND SQUARE FEETZ is exactly what is wrong with Houston culture.
Of course you've also ignored things like professional sports, food options, cultural diversity, and music which are also things that Houston offers that improve the quality of life for residents. Of course it's all about JORBZ AND SQUARE FEETZ (sic), right?

Just yet another national media outlet that is finally discovering Houston's greatness. Moving on...

Old 05-31-2013, 12:17 PM

4,382 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:

Man move out of Houston already damn. I don't think its the best city in America. It is one of the best imo. Jobs are a better criteria for a great city then not being able to take great shots at a park. Yep that's on everybody type reasons to move anywhere. People seem to forget jobs are what made urbanist favorite cities great and popular. Chicago to New York to San Fran. Ppl migrated to cities like that in search of work. A city full of opportunities via jobs makes room for a progressive innovative fresh bustling culture. The dynamic has shifted to the sunbelt cities and Houston is the forefront. That's just the way it is in America.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:20 PM

8,227 posts, read 11,148,176 times
"It's by far the country's number one job creator, the home of America's booming energy industry, is more diverse than New York City (PDF) and lets you stretch a paycheck farther than anywhere else in the country.
Add to that a thriving restaurant and cultural scene, and you've got a winning case for Houston as the best American city. "

"Everybody loves parks. Houston's got more of them than any other top 10 metropolitan area."

Old 05-31-2013, 12:22 PM

Quote:

At the end of the day what else is there? You take away jobs/industry from any city and you have Detroit.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:23 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,705,196 times
Quote:
Quality of life matters, and disregard for that in favor of JORBS AND SQUARE FEETZ is exactly what is wrong with Houston culture.
Family friendly, how terrible! Loolz. Go pleasure yourself please.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:27 PM

17,029 posts, read 30,929,122 times
Quote:

So move out of the parents house already to someplace 'cool' with quality parks like Austin.

Populations migrate to economic opportunity and domestic freedoms, Houston has both.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:27 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,663,685 times
If I see "FEETZ" again, I may have to hurt someone.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Man move out of Houston already damn. I don't think its the best city in America. It is one of the best imo. Jobs are a better criteria for a great city then not being able to take great shots at a park. Yep that's on everybody type reasons to move anywhere. People seem to forget jobs are what made urbanist favorite cities great and popular. Chicago to New York to San Fran. Ppl migrated to cities like that in search of work. A city full of opportunities via jobs makes room for a progressive innovative fresh bustling culture. The dynamic has shifted to the sunbelt cities and Houston is the forefront. That's just the way it is in America.
Exactly! Thats why people moved to those cities and away from their farms and rural living in the late 19th, early part of the 20th century to begin with, JOBS!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston