Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2013, 12:30 PM

2 posts, read 2,441 times

Advertisements

I´m an exchange student at Rice University from Norway, and I was told that Houston was not the city to go to, big and not nice, but I found Houston more exiting than I was told. Honostly I think for instance San Antonio is a more nice city, but there are a lot to do here in Houston, I like it here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 12:30 PM

2,367 posts, read 4,698,639 times
There are cities that I would rather live in, but they cost way too much. Houston is a blast for young professionals. Everyone I know that moves here loves it. It will never be NYC of San Francisco. I mean hey, it is Texas. I think Houston is really coming into its own.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:36 PM

568 posts, read 1,130,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Man move out of Houston already damn.
The End. WE GET IT, you dislike Houston. Goodness.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:07 PM

4,131 posts, read 7,448,096 times
The stupidity and lack of critical thinking skills of some people here is amazing. Just because a place has jobs doesn't make it a nice place to live. Those are two separate things. All it means is that there happen to be jobs. There are many people who live in South Dakota right now because it has many oil jobs. Does that mean it's a nice place to live? Of course not. You're basically settling for the absolute minimum to attract citizens--- "You got a job here and you can't get one anywhere else, love it or leave it". There is no reason Houston can't CHOOSE to have more good parks (not sidewalks through lawns), good public transit, functional urban neighborhoods outside the loop, and better designed developments out in the suburbs (with sidewalks for example). It's all a choice.

The thing about Houston is that Houstonians have the attitude that because it has jobs and cheap housing in treeless barren Katy with tiny yards, that makes it a great city and that it doesn't need to improve quality of life for its citizens. It should be really obvious that the problem with that is it ends up making life needlessly worse for the millions of people who live here.

I'm sick and tired of the Houston cheerleading and this nonsens about Houston being the "best city in America" because of the oil bubble. Go and visit (preferably live in) some other cities besides College Redneck Station and then get back to me. Don't act like being a Houston Hobbit satisifed with mediocrity at every turn is some kind of virtue. It's not, it's embarassing. You cheerleaders are holding this city back. I'm going to keep posting until people around here start getting it. Sorry if you can't handle arguing on the internet.

Then again, maybe it's hopeless. Maybe "Hahaha you're stuck here because this is where the jobs are and that automatically makes this city great" is just too ingrained in Houston culture.

Last edited by winkosmosis; 05-31-2013 at 01:23 PM..

Old 05-31-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
Man move out of Houston already damn. I don't think its the best city in America. It is one of the best imo. Jobs are a better criteria for a great city then not being able to take great shots at a park. Yep that's on everybody type reasons to move anywhere. People seem to forget jobs are what made urbanist favorite cities great and popular. Chicago to New York to San Fran. Ppl migrated to cities like that in search of work. A city full of opportunities via jobs makes room for a progressive innovative fresh bustling culture. The dynamic has shifted to the sunbelt cities and Houston is the forefront. That's just the way it is in America.
This thread is ABOUT HOUSTON BEING THE BEST CITY IN AMERICA. Did you not read the title?

Old 05-31-2013, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
Of course you've also ignored things like professional sports, food options, cultural diversity, and music which are also things that Houston offers that improve the quality of life for residents. Of course it's all about JORBZ AND SQUARE FEETZ (sic), right?

Just yet another national media outlet that is finally discovering Houston's greatness. Moving on...
Give me a break. Professional sports is irrelevent to everyday life. Ever hear the term "bread and circuses"? Food options? I don't know about you but I can't afford to eat out very often and it's a long drive to any restaurant unless you live in one of the million dollar house neighborhoods.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:17 PM

8,376 posts, read 30,714,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkosmosis View Post
I don't know about you but I can't afford to eat out very often and it's a long drive to any restaurant unless you live in one of the million dollar house neighborhoods.
Nonsense. What ****hole area do you live in??

Old 05-31-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstone View Post
Nonsense. What ****hole area do you live in??
I live in Cypress 77065 zip code. You know-- the area that working people can afford to live. The only restaurants anywhere close are fast food, chains, or mediocre BBQ.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:25 PM

725 posts, read 1,241,697 times
Quote:
Give me a break. Professional sports is irrelevent to everyday life. Ever hear the term "bread and circuses"? Food options? I don't know about you but I can't afford to eat out very often and it's a long drive to any restaurant unless you live in one of the million dollar house neighborhoods.
Once again, (and we've had this same exact conversation in another thread), professional sports are irrelevant TO YOU. Personally, I'm very proud to be a Rockets, Texans, and yes, even an Astros fan. I used to work for the Rockets too - they were a key part of my livelihood for a couple of years. Yet it's irrelevant to everyday life?

GTF outta here with that stupidity. You can keep posting all you want, it's a free country. Six million people aren't just "settling" anywhere. When you get that mindset out of your head that everyone else is like you and wants the same things you do, then you'll see the light.

Until then keep typing to an audience that is happy where they are about how unhappy you are as long as you please. You can keep bashing Houston while describing Katy. When you have carpal tunnel from typing "JORBZ AND SQUARE FEETZ so much" perhaps Houston's #1 medical center can help you out.

I live in a "real" city as you call it and still love Houston. Does that mean I don't know any better?

You can miss me with that idiocy. And no Cypress is not Houston, even if you do have a Houston address. How about you actually live in the city before you bash it?

Old 05-31-2013, 01:27 PM

785 posts, read 1,235,511 times
Quote:
Oh here we go -- trolling again. I live right next door to one of the best ethnic restaurants in the city, and I'm in Westchase (not a million dollar house anywhere in sight).

Professional sports is irrelevant? Next you're going to tell me that Hermann Park, Memorial Park, Buffalo Bayou Park, and Discovery Green are all just sidewalks across a lawn -- oh wait, you already did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston