Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2013, 06:07 PM

82 posts, read 132,251 times

Advertisements

First off please let me apologize for the title.

Without looking too prejudice, I'm just trying to find a place where we'll fit in. After living in many areas throughout the states, I've found at our age we feel most comfortable with people more like us.
My kids think I'm nuts, and we probably are, but we just aren't as used to it as they are. Thank god they are different than us as they are beautiful people who have been raised better than us. (Believe it or not I voted for Obama and actually campaigned for him in both times in 8 different states as did my children! I'm sorry, I don't know how else to go about asking such a delicate question without sounding like a horrible person.)

I'm thinking of taking a job in Houston, zip is 77036-3307.

I'm looking for a suburban area, sidewalks are GREAT as are streetlights. We don't mind franchise restaurants and malls. My kids are graduated and living away in LA.

We just moved from Nashville to LA but can't find a place we can afford to buy a home in an area where we won't be afraid to lose our shirts.

Any advice on areas in our price range? It looks like The Woodlands is around an hour away. I'd love something closer but am beginning to think that doesn't exist.

Any honest help would be great. I'm not looking for an exclusively white area but European would be great. Safe, good schools and close to highways, shopping and restaurants. Does this place exist?

Thanks again and I do apologize in advance.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:34 PM

98 posts, read 206,094 times
See, the problem with this is that you can get mugged or shot or killed or stabbed in any area. You could be walking down the street in your safe neighborhood and a caucasian person could run up to you and kill you. Location does not necessarily mean secure.

With that being said, yes, there are parts of Houston where it is less likely to happen. Bellaire is one that comes to mind. That is relatively a safe area. I would also possibly suggest Highland Village. Memorial area.

Now, let me say as an agent I am not giving you any expert advice on any crime areas over others. I am simply stating that someone of your.......preference would prefer somewhere closer to the Galleria as opposed to other areas. But again I say, crime can happen everywhere. This isn't a movie where criminals will not cross zip codes due to an off duty police officer or a neighborhood watch.

Sorry, if it sounds like I am going off on a tangent. I hope you find the home where you want it.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:44 PM

8,898 posts, read 20,108,413 times
You might find areas that are majority one race, ethnicity or the other along with very mixed diverse areas but I don't think there is any one area that is majority European.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:45 PM

2,945 posts, read 5,018,622 times
Why are good schools important if the kids are graduated and living in LA? You planning on some surprise kids?

You mentioned "at our age" but what does that mean? Now a days that could be from 40 to 60 and again nowadays people in their 40s-early 50s are the ones with elementary age kids running around so do you want that?

The 60 somethings I know sure don't want to live within blocks of people still carting around kids not old enough to drive. The driving ones are usually at friends houses, lol.

Old 02-12-2013, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamCraigHenry View Post
See, the problem with this is that you can get mugged or shot or killed or stabbed in any area. You could be walking down the street in your safe neighborhood and a caucasian person could run up to you and kill you. Location does not necessarily mean secure.

With that being said, yes, there are parts of Houston where it is less likely to happen. Bellaire is one that comes to mind. That is relatively a safe area. I would also possibly suggest Highland Village. Memorial area.

Now, let me say as an agent I am not giving you any expert advice on any crime areas over others. I am simply stating that someone of your.......preference would prefer somewhere closer to the Galleria as opposed to other areas. But again I say, crime can happen everywhere. This isn't a movie where criminals will not cross zip codes due to an off duty police officer or a neighborhood watch.

Sorry, if it sounds like I am going off on a tangent. I hope you find the home where you want it.
It's okay, I expected people to be offended. It's just our experience is different from others.

Since I am an X law enforcement officer I totally understand what you are saying. However, time and experience has taught me a thing or two and has shown me what I am comfortable with. I DO live in LA, I've lived in Las Cruces, New Mexico (loved it), San Antonio, TX (loved it) several countries in the middle east (not so crazy about those experiences) and in NYC (several areas) and well, you get what I'm saying.

For the record, I wasn't implying that Houston was dangerous nor that a more diverse area is more dangerous. I personally think it has more to do with money than color. Lots of people (of all races and ethnicities) prefer to live in a majority of their own and still harbor no racism - just a personal preference. Asking to living an an area with majority of one race or ethnicity is not an indicator of racism (yes, I know that in some cases it is -- but not all).

Last edited by ohboywhatamess; 02-12-2013 at 07:01 PM..

Old 02-12-2013, 07:02 PM

418 posts, read 745,871 times
I can forgive a lot of things, but not the Obama vote. For your price range, I would look at the Memorial villages.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:04 PM

194 posts, read 526,352 times
Quote:
Belliare? Are you sure? Bellaire is 14.1% Asian. It doesn't sound like it's what OP is looking for. Rather, the Woodlands and Spring sounds more fitting.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:10 PM

98 posts, read 206,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelBubble View Post
Belliare? Are you sure? Bellaire is 14.1% Asian. It doesn't sound like it's what OP is looking for. Rather, the Woodlands and Spring sounds more fitting.

Well, i guess I was kind of lumping everyone in. He said The Woodlands were a little too far out so I considered Spring was out too.

@ohboywhatamess, I am in no way calling you a racist. Everyone does have their own preference. You'd be surprised what I would prefer to be around. So I completely understand. My father was a cop for almost 30 years so I have heard it all.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:13 PM

194 posts, read 526,352 times
Quote:
Well, i guess I was kind of lumping everyone in. He said The Woodlands were a little too far out so I considered Spring was out too.
That's the problem. If he's looking for a majority white area inside Houston, he's probably not going to find it. He can seclude himself in Royal Oaks and River Oaks, but once he leaves the neighborhood, it's going to be diverse.

The only way he'll surround himself with white people is if he goes out to the suburbs, like the ones I mentioned.

I honestly don't understand questions like this. From his original post, it doesn't sound like he wants to live in a area with less crime (which is perfectly understandable.) He just wants less diversity, and more white people. I don't get it, but whatever floats his boat.

Old 02-12-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texas7 View Post
You might find areas that are majority one race, ethnicity or the other along with very mixed diverse areas but I don't think there is any one area that is majority European.
Well, I don't mind diverse - to a certain extent. Let's just put it this way, San Antonio is my favorite place on Earth. But we don't have the opportunity to go back there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston