Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2013, 12:24 PM

82 posts, read 132,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coconutbutter View Post
People in Houston aren't hostile. I have no problem if people want to live near people who have similar cultures, but your posts come off as flippant and borderline racist. But like you said, it's the internet.
Well THAT was friendly!

And there I go being flippant again! Silly me.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:29 PM

164 posts, read 358,361 times
You're not liking what you're hearing and somehow it's people in Houston who have the problem? Please.

What you want doesn't exist. Come up with a list of your non-negotiables. Decide what you can compromise on. Decide whether or not you actually want to have any more children or want to adopt/foster. You should first make that decision and tailor your list accordingly if raising a family is something that you actually want to do.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:31 PM

2,223 posts, read 5,518,740 times
Quote:
People in Houston aren't hostile. I have no problem if people want to live near people who have similar cultures, but your posts come off as flippant and borderline racist. But like you said, it's the internet.
You've never left your county, have you? Hillbilly, much?
I've been all over this world and nobody's as paranoid as Americans. But you wouldn't know.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glucorious View Post
I've been all over this world and nobody's as paranoid as Americans. But you wouldn't know.
LOL. As previously stated, I have no problem with people wanting to live near people who are culturally the same. I get it. I've lived and travelled throughout Asia and Micronesia, spent four years in NY, but enjoy Houston. But comments like "Some [Asians] weren't very friendly but I think that had more to do with culture and the fact they didn't speak English or Spanish," make this Asian person incredibly uncomfortable. You know this applies to people in general, yeah?

Old 02-13-2013, 12:40 PM

Quote:
You're not liking what you're hearing and somehow it's people in Houston who have the problem? Please.

What you want doesn't exist. Come up with a list of your non-negotiables. Decide what you can compromise on. Decide whether or not you actually want to have any more children or want to adopt/foster. You should first make that decision and tailor your list accordingly if raising a family is something that you actually want to do.
Oh please, I'm just having a little fun with you, don't be so sensitive.
I never once stated I wanted a white neighborhood, some of youjust decided to jump to conclusions and decided for ME that that's what I wanted. I'm not going to argue with you about it. It's really not that important to me. Jesus, no wonder so many threads get closed here. Do you honestly think a family of CUBAN roots (hence the reason we lived in Miami -- duh) has never experienced racism? Really? Try I'm JEWISH -- like I don't know racism... Perhaps me writing that I was Jewish got your goat. I'm just saying.
We've narrowed it down to the Woodlands. Looks perfect. Feel better?

Last edited by ohboywhatamess; 02-13-2013 at 12:51 PM..

Old 02-13-2013, 12:47 PM

2,556 posts, read 4,090,772 times
I love it when people insult someone, then when they're called on it, they say "Oh don't be so sensitive." How about, don't be so INsensitive and insulting in the first place? Add all the smiley faces you want, it doesn't make your posts less ignorant or insulting.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:52 PM

Oh, yes, I really do! Thank you for conceding to my delicate sensibilities because the internets is just so serious!

Seriously, people here are keen on helping you find what you're looking for and suggesting areas that would suit you.

Is the commute from the Woodlands to your job (77036, IIRC?) something that will be okay for you daily? Just something to consider since the Houston traffic can suck the soul out of you pretty quickly.

The Woodlands is good for raising a family - well-maintained homes, good neighborhoods, friendly neighbors, nice chain restaurants, and excellent schools. I think it's a good choice for what you've already mentioned. Expats seem to be scattered in the Houston area, though. The ones I encounter/work with are in various areas inside the loop. Either way, you'll meet really nice people here. In my experience with the people I have befriended, people are welcoming, and many would probably want to learn/know more about your culture. I know that I'd love to have a multilingual friend who would practice foreign languages with me.

Good luck with looking around town. There are many people here who love the Woodlands and probably could recommend a good buyer's agent for you when you're ready to buy.

PS - I see your edit. Don't be ridiculous. I didn't even know you were Jewish, and really, that has nothing to do with anything. What a weird assumption to make. My mom actually lived in Israel growing up and can speak some Hebrew. In fact, she gave me a Jewish name.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I tried to rep you again. Thanks. At least you get it. Thanks for not tearing me a new one. I was just getting a feel for the area. I truly wasn't try to sound like a jerk because I'm not one. Thanks again.

Old 02-13-2013, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
I love it when people insult someone, then when they're called on it, they say "Oh don't be so sensitive." How about, don't be so INsensitive and insulting in the first place? Add all the smiley faces you want, it doesn't make your posts less ignorant or insulting.
Now where's that *ignore* button?
Mod - please close this thread if possible. I'm not going to answer anymore posts. Thank you.

Old 02-13-2013, 01:06 PM

504 posts, read 1,159,831 times
Quote:
You've obviously never been to north asia then. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston