Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 09:15 PM

128 posts, read 123,464 times

Advertisements

I searched and couldn't find a thread that addressed this specifically.

I have a brother in law coming to visit, and he's gotten into sampling and trading fancy/rare/local beers recently. It really does see like this has gotten popular in the last few years...they trade beer like it was sports cards or something. I wanted to take him to somewhere a rare/local beer enthusiast wouldn't want to miss in the Houston area, and not just a place that has a lot of beers on tap, but a place that specializes in rare/local beers.

Not necessarily like Yardhouse or BJ's...more like "Brews Brothers" if you've ever been to Galveston. Any recommendations? Points for divebar-ish places and taverns!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 09:28 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,374,433 times
Oh man, I have one. Thanks me later

It's called Nobi Public House and it's located in Clear Lake. They are tapping new beers every week, and they are pretty darn crafty, if you know what I mean.

Here ya go!

Nobi Public House - Webster, TX - Pub, Gastropub | Facebook

Yelp: Nobi Public House - Clear Lake - Webster, TX

Old 02-05-2013, 09:47 PM

128 posts, read 123,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckhanddavy View Post
Oh man, I have one. Thanks me later

It's called Nobi Public House and it's located in Clear Lake. They are tapping new beers every week, and they are pretty darn crafty, if you know what I mean.

Here ya go!

Nobi Public House - Webster, TX - Pub, Gastropub | Facebook

Yelp: Nobi Public House - Clear Lake - Webster, TX
I just away from Webster in December! I'll still try this.

BTW Boondoggles on Nasa 1 is awesome for coal-fired oven pizzas until 2am!

Edit: Holy crap I could've walked to this place! I lived in those apartments on Sarah Deel @ Nasa 1. I guess this was what they replaced that silly club with.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:41 AM

385 posts, read 971,431 times
If your seeking a brew pub, there hasn't been one in Houston since Two Rows closed. One is suppose to open this year sometime called City Acre Brewing Co.

But..
Brewery Tap on the corner of Milam and Franklin is pretty cool. They have beer from several of the local breweries.

La Carafe a block away from Brewery Tap and is the oldest building in Houston and pretty cool. Not sure about their selection but is worth a stop.

Then Flying Saucer is just like five blocks away from La Carafe, and they have dozens of beers.

OKRA Charity bar is also only short walf from La Carafe but I haven't tried it yet.

Being walking distance makes bar hopping their much easier. Plus all of the buildings that house these bars are old and interesting.

Hay Merchant in Montrose is pretty cool too. Maybe 100 beers on tap. Seems like it anyway.
Also Petrol Station on the North side is worth checking out. Good beer and burgers.

Old 02-06-2013, 01:59 AM

7,555 posts, read 11,636,943 times
Hit up the Spec's downtown location it has the best selection of beer wine and hard liquor you will ever see no other place has a better selection

Store 00 page

Or you could take one of the 2 local brewery tours here in the Houston area

Saint Arnold Brewing Company - Tours and Tastings

https://plus.google.com/108595236399...61/about?hl=en

Last edited by DJboutit; 02-06-2013 at 02:15 AM..

Old 02-06-2013, 02:36 AM

847 posts, read 1,758,802 times
Theres more than 2 local brewery tours..... there is saint arnold, karbach, buffalo bayou, no label, and southern star in conroe.
I dont go to bars much, I mainly drink my beers at home, but ive heard of the same places mentioned....Hay Merchant, Flying Saucer, Petrol Station, Bohemios, Moon Tower Inn, The Ginger Man, Porch Swing

Old 02-06-2013, 04:08 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,976,391 times
Gingerman, best beer snob bar in town.

You could also take in on one of the microbrewery tours, like st Arnold's or southern star or buffalo bayou brewing.

Last edited by Lost_In_Translation; 02-06-2013 at 04:10 AM.. Reason: Add more info

Old 02-06-2013, 06:30 AM

237 posts, read 652,253 times
Petrol Station.....easily the best beer bar in Houston. Awesome burgers as well. I've heard good things about Nobi house

Petrol Station - Oak Forest/Garden Oaks - Houston, TX

If you are near Friendswood...I've heard this gas station is pretty amazing. I've liked their facebook page, and they are always listing beers that most other places do not have.

Corner Food Mart Shell Specialty Beer & Wine - Friendswood, TX

Have your brother make sure to try some of the Texas beers:
St. Arnold's
Karbach
Buffalo Bayou
No Label
Jester King
Fort Bend Brewery

I'd recommend trying to go to the tour at No Label in Katy....have it every Saturday.

Also Fort Bend Brewery is having their first tour/tasting this Saturday, so that would be fun to go to.

Old 02-06-2013, 08:30 AM

17,029 posts, read 31,046,440 times
As others mentioned...

Nobi Public House - NASA area
Hay Market - Montrose
Petrol Station - Heights
The Gingerman - Rice Village
Flying Saucer - Downtown

Old 02-06-2013, 08:39 AM

504 posts, read 1,157,249 times
and if you want to buy beer for home

Specs Midtown and D&Q on Richmond are great places. D&Q being more of a mom and pop store with more personal service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston