Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 08:27 PM

126 posts, read 240,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsav View Post
The Houston Police Chief does not think you should have weapons equal to them. I don't either for that matter.
Well a hunting rifle is more powerful than anything the police normally carry. Police officers carry shotguns...can I have one of those, please?

Police officers carry 9mm pistols...why can't I have one according to you?

In your view, what weaponry should I be able to have as a private citizen?

You state you have never been a gun owner, so do you think you might not understand terminology or what kind of weapons police and citizens currently carry or have access to?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 08:35 PM

490 posts, read 651,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan in texas View Post
Well a hunting rifle is more powerful than anything the police normally carry. Police officers carry shotguns...can I have one of those, please?

Police officers carry 9mm pistols...why can't I have one according to you?

In your view, what weaponry should I be able to have as a private citizen?

You state you have never been a gun owner, so do you think you might not understand terminology or what kind of weapons police and citizens currently carry or have access to?
I don't have to understand the terminology. I know the police also carry semi auto rifles. You don't need one. They carry tasers. You don't need one.

You do not need to be on the same level as ANY police force.

Why would you even want to be?

Old 01-21-2013, 08:38 PM

126 posts, read 240,901 times
Quote:
I don't have to understand the terminology. I know the police also carry semi auto rifles. You don't need one. They carry tasers. You don't need one.

Who are you to tell me what I need? You admit you don't understand the terminology, so how can you have a position on something you have no clue about?

I asked you a specific question....the police carry shotguns...can I have one too?

What is a semi auto rifle? How many are currently owned by private citizens?

You obviously are not informed on weaponry, so you can't bring anything to the table on this discussion.

Old 01-22-2013, 04:07 AM

3,160 posts, read 4,372,545 times
no one is fighting the cops/ .mil but dont sit on your high horse and think the police are there to protect you.

1992 Los Angeles riots - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
Outnumbered, the police officers retreated
Quote:
it was clear that local police had deserted the area.
Quote:
Korean-Americans, seeing the police force's abandonment of Koreatown, organized armed security teams composed of store owners, who defended their livelihoods from assault by the mobs. Open gun battles were televised as Korean shopkeepers exchanged gunfire with armed looters.[31]

Old 01-22-2013, 08:30 AM

448 posts, read 703,307 times
See that's your problem right there. You have no sense of reality and history. The bill of rights are our "inalienable" rights, they were meant to be the end all be all. It's the bill of rights not the bill of needs. I have a personal right to bear and keep arms inlcuding a semi automatic rifle that is no more deadly that my semi automatic handgun or my semi automatic shotgun. If you want to talk about how things were when they wrote the 2nd amendment the deadliest firearms known to man were mostly in the hands of the private citizens. There was no difference between the firearms the civilian population had and the armed forces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testmo View Post
So why should we blindly follow a document that was never intended to be the end all be all?

Old 01-22-2013, 08:31 AM

Looks like Garcia had time to go join the inaguration celebrations in DC. Wonder how he got a VIP seat with Obama? Oh yea, he agrees with his gun grab.

"Harris County Sheriff Adrian Garcia, San Antonio Mayor Julian Castro and Dallas Mayor Mike Rawlings were among the Texas dignitaries who traveled from the Lone Star State to take in the historic celebration"

"While the Texas VIPs had seats close to the president, rank-and-file Democrats braved the cold winds and huddled together on the Capitol grounds and down the National Mall."

Texans brave cold winds to celebrate Obama inauguration | Texas on the Potomac | a Chron.com blog

Old 01-22-2013, 08:34 AM

We don't need the government telling us what car to drive or what lightbulbs to put in our house. We also don't need someone with an unnatural fear of what law abiding citizens legally and rightfully own telling us what we do or don't need.

Quote:

Old 01-22-2013, 08:42 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,372,068 times
Quote:

So you think I shouldn't carry my 40? Or a shotgun? You really don't know what you're talking about, police weapons are no more powerful than civilian weapons, they have experience and training.
In Baton Rouge, I NEED to be armed. Coming from a liberal.
There are 12 year olds here with illegal handguns with extended clips, gun bans will never work in this country.

Old 01-22-2013, 09:10 AM

here's a handy guide for those who don't know anything but think they have a solution.
Attached Thumbnails
Houston Chief, mayor and Sherrif Garcia support Obama gun ban-toon.jpg  

Old 01-22-2013, 09:19 AM

They won't come out and say it but no, they don't think you should carry anything at all to protect yourself. Remember, the leftists value the state over the individual, anything resembling the individual asserting their sovereignty is a threat to them and their agendas. Even the most basic of human rights the right to self preservation. In their eyes you, being naturally inferior to the collective, must relegate your supposed right to defend yourself to the state. If they really cared about protecting "innocent lives" the wouldn't worry about ARs they would be talking about handguns which kill far more people and were used in most of the mass shootings in the country. So why don't they? It is incrementalism. They know there is more support for banning the evil semi automatic rifles than handguns so they go for the small bite to set the groundwork all the while telling us they aren't coming for the rest of our guns, that surely you have to agree that it is reasonable to just restrict these. Then after that is done and there are more mass shootings with handguns they will tell us we thought just banning semi automatic rifles were enough, but we really need to ban anything other than single shot weapons and it goes on from there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
So you think I shouldn't carry my 40? Or a shotgun? You really don't know what you're talking about, police weapons are no more powerful than civilian weapons, they have experience and training.
In Baton Rouge, I NEED to be armed. Coming from a liberal.
There are 12 year olds here with illegal handguns with extended clips, gun bans will never work in this country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston