Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 06:59 PM

490 posts, read 653,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by houston-nomad View Post
Marksmu,
Can I respectfully ask for a respectful answer to a question that's been puzzling me: Why do people support the right to purchase military-style assault weapons, and high-capacity clips (sorry if my terminology isn't 100% correct but I think you know what type of things I mean)? Who really needs this stuff? Why would it be sporting to shoot a deer with an automatic assault rifle? Who would need that many rounds, unless they were going to kill a bunch of people?

I genuinely understand that people want the right to own and carry weapons. I don't happen to agree with many of their reasons, but let's put that aside. Nobody is talking about taking that right away. Just limiting these particular things. So can you answer that question, seriously, without attacking liberals?
They are going to tell you to protect themselves from tyranny. They actually think the government fears them because they have all these guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan in texas View Post
Hunting has nothing to do with anything.

Guns are needed by law abiding citizens to equalize force against those wanting to harm us.

If hpd chooses to carry pistols that hold 17 rounds because that is the best way to combat violent criminals intent on harming someone...I will model their choice. Same for a rifle. Police see fit to have a rifle that holds 30 rounds in order to deal with a bad situation...agree. If it is good enough for police to use to protect society, then it's good enough for me to use to protect my life and family.
Insane. The Houston police aren't coming after you unless you break the law. And if you do and you threaten them with weapons they are going to respond in great force, if they need to, and you'll likely be dead.

There is only 1 of you.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
The mayor and her administration are liberals, what else is new.
Ahh. Therefore they are incapable of using their experience to make decisions? I see.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:45 PM

126 posts, read 242,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cecilsav View Post
Insane. The Houston police aren't coming after you unless you break the law. And if you do and you threaten them with weapons they are going to respond in great force, if they need to, and you'll likely be dead.

There is only 1 of you.
You totally missed my point.

Where do you get the idea I have a problem with the police?

Old 01-21-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
They are going to tell you to protect themselves from tyranny. They actually think the government fears them because they have all these guns.
Are you a gun owner?

Old 01-21-2013, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Are you a gun owner?
I am 50 years old and I have NEVER been in a situation where I have felt the need fir a gun. I have lived in small towns and now I live right in the heart of Dallas. Never needed a gun.

I don't care if people keep a handgun at home fir protection. But there should be debate on semi automatic rifles.

Old 01-21-2013, 07:54 PM

Quote:
You totally missed my point.

Where do you get the idea I have a problem with the police?
I was responding to you saying you wanted to be as equally armed as the police.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:12 PM

554 posts, read 613,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkycrabman View Post
I consider myself very liberal but in this thread I have finally seen the real reason why guns are required for us to have. I mean we really are not going to be able to fight the govrenment much but if you can imagine we do outnumber the people in charge and if we really wanted to we could so something. Guns are the only security we have because the world is not fluffy bunnies it is harsh reality and just as counties still have nuclear weapons you need to have the same firepower to be even be able to take on a goverment that does not reflect the thoughts and minds of the majority of society.

What is something ****ing crazy happens and you need to protect yourself? I am not a person that is a prepper or something but you cannot tell me the best weapon is not the same one your opponent is using.

All this does is further perpetuate the government getting more into my life and business where they don't belong especially in Texas.

Guess who wins when you take away the equalibrium? The ones with more firepower. All this is is another politcal PR stunt to make everyone feel all warm and fuzzy but **** anything can happen anytime and you can't start taking away laws to save a few, sorry if you are offended to take away the rights of the majority.
"Fight the government" ? "Counties still have nuclear weapons" ?!? "Take on the government that does not reflect the thoughts and minds of the majority" ?!?!?

You're a lunatic. You need medication. Lots of it.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
I was responding to you saying you wanted to be as equally armed as the police.
What's wrong with that? That does not mean I have a problem with them. I'm a huge supporter of them. I suggest you read the article I posted earlier as it articulates my position.

If my intent is to defend myself, home, and family from criminals, why should I not be armed the way I see fit?

If you choose to not arm yourself, that's your right.

Criminals are going to to whatever they want, so those of us who want to protect ourselves should be able to do it with the weapons that are made for that purpose.

Old 01-21-2013, 08:21 PM

Quote:
What's wrong with that? That does not mean I have a problem with them. I'm a huge supporter of them. I suggest you read the article I posted earlier as it articulates my position.

If my intent is to defend myself, home, and family from criminals, why should I not be armed the way I see fit?
The Houston Police Chief does not think you should have weapons equal to them. I don't either for that matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston