Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 07:37 PM

1,329 posts, read 3,544,860 times

Advertisements

In Coney Island, a downmarket section of Brooklyn, some neighborhood residents are doing Number 2 in the hallways, because the concept of improvised chamberpots using garbage bag lined trash cans appears not to have occurred to them. The NYC media has officially crossed into the realm of TMI.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2012, 08:43 PM

36 posts, read 65,305 times
Funny, no one mentioned The Hamptoms. MSM hatred Of the wealthy rolls again, no matter political persausion.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:28 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,164,711 times
Who cares about the Hamptons. Rich people can evacuate to a fine hotel and wait things out, then come back to either repair their homes or buy one elsewhere, if they don't already have another residence somewhere.

Old 11-04-2012, 12:13 AM

3,530 posts, read 5,136,325 times
I never understood what an ugly, isecure and hateful place Houston was until I moved away and saw it through different eyes and threads like this. Really, Texans? Are you the same people who reached out to Katrina evacuees, even with the hardships that came with doing the right thing? Are you the same people who grabbed brooms and shovels after Ike and Allison an got back on your own feet?

I was there for those storms an for the exodus in Rita. We didn't care about media coverage. We cared about helping our neighbors and rebuilding our town. And Beaumont. And Lake Charles. And New Orleans. Houston has gone from a city that doesn't think twice about opening its doors and its wallet for neighbors to one that whines about not getting enough media coverage when it gets a storm or a convoluted nod from a 2nd rate news magazine for being "cool".

Shameful.

You people aren't Texans. You aren't proud of Houston. You're jealous of places with cache Houston will never know. Shame on you. You people should know better than anyone else what the East Coast is going through and you somehow tried to make it about you.

I hope you get the coverage you desire when the next storm rolls in.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:21 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,199,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalparadise View Post
I never understood what an ugly, isecure and hateful place Houston was until I moved away and saw it through different eyes and threads like this. Really, Texans? Are you the same people who reached out to Katrina evacuees, even with the hardships that came with doing the right thing? Are you the same people who grabbed brooms and shovels after Ike and Allison an got back on your own feet?

I was there for those storms an for the exodus in Rita. We didn't care about media coverage. We cared about helping our neighbors and rebuilding our town. And Beaumont. And Lake Charles. And New Orleans. Houston has gone from a city that doesn't think twice about opening its doors and its wallet for neighbors to one that whines about not getting enough media coverage when it gets a storm or a convoluted nod from a 2nd rate news magazine for being "cool".

Shameful.

You people aren't Texans. You aren't proud of Houston. You're jealous of places with cache Houston will never know. Shame on you. You people should know better than anyone else what the East Coast is going through and you somehow tried to make it about you.

I hope you get the coverage you desire when the next storm rolls in.
Said the person that doesn't read through anything.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:39 AM

14 posts, read 49,745 times
Native Houstonian here-
The coverage didn't bother me. I understand that this type of storm is unusual for that area. That area also contains millions more people than Galveston/Houston.

I also remember seeing coverage of Ike on national news. I don't remember which channel it was, but I remember watching it before going to bed that night.

Old 11-04-2012, 09:44 AM

830 posts, read 1,728,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar2007 View Post

What galls me is the fact the U.S. falls all over itself to help undeveloped foreign countries when they are hard hit with disaster and I don't see anyone going on public forums complaining about it. Well, this tragedy happened right here in our own country. So be it whatever part of the country it is, be glad the government is stepping in to help. I also am glad the media is broadcasting it so much as well, even though they are as usual bias somewhat in the coverage. At least, it will provoke empathy in the country for our countrymen in dire need.
Why does it gall you that Americans (and the gov) want to help poor countries when they are hit with disaster? I think both Americans and our government are sympathetic to the Sandy disaster and are donating time and resources to help the disaster efforts here.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:39 AM

3,576 posts, read 2,197,375 times
Hurricane Katrina was 400 miles wide, Hurricane Andrew was over 400 miles wide Hurricane Sandy 1000 miles wide.
The scope of Sandy has caused multi state problems not just one area. New York City population alone approx 8,300,000 , most don't have cars, they rely on subways. Add to the fact with all this destruction they now have cold weather coming in. and hypothermia can set in as temperatures drop. Where were many of them going to evacuate, if they had no car, no money its easy to say leave but how, these same people suffered after 9-11. They have seen tragedy, I don't mind the news talking about Hurricane Sandy because they need help and as long as it is i the news they will get help they need. I wonder where our compassion has gone when we can't care about another human being.

We had alot of coverage for Hurricane Katrina and no one complained. Why is this different?

Old 11-05-2012, 09:45 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Making it personal - the town where I grew up is on the Hudson river in Rockland County.

No school today for the kids. At least one condo on the river sustained structural damage and will have to be demolished and rebuilt. The park I used to play in as a girl has been closed down. I hope they can save that area. I used to go every Friday to my grandmother's house - luckily only one death was reported in that town.

Pictures from Rockland County
The Impact of Hurricane Sandy | The Rockland County Times

White Plains, NY where I have friends living (can't get them on the phone so I don't know what damage they had)

4600 people were without power

At least one person was killed by flying debris where my niece, her husband and their four children live

Old 11-05-2012, 10:18 AM

259 posts, read 510,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheryjohns View Post
...and our Metro is about 6 million - but you never hear this level of hysteria when it is directed at Galveston (add that number to the 6M of Houston) and Houston. I am not saying it is not a big deal - but no more than when it hits this area.

YOu'd have to be extremely biased if not a touch delusional to think the Houston Metro is anywhere near as important as the NE/NYC area based on population alone. Ever heard of Wall Street? Ever heard of the Federal Reserve Bank on Manhattan that has the largest stockpile of gold in the world in its underground vaults? The UN? New York is the center of the world's economy.

Yes the Houston Metro area has 6mil + people...BUT NYC has more people in a lot LESS space. The population density is amazingly high. Manhattan is only 2 miles wide for example. We are talking close to 70k people in one square mile.

The Subway system was shut down which is pretty major BTW being that it moves so many people. It's the largest and one of the oldest subway systems in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston