Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 11:44 AM

257 posts, read 988,451 times

Advertisements

Oh just having to endure going to LA for work and having done so for the last 35 years .How you could take a beautiful state and ruin is beyond me.Do you know that california is really going bankrupt, not maybe, but really going under?I dont want that to happen in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 11:49 AM

82 posts, read 293,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingtohouston View Post
In my experience I haven't had any animosity towards me or my family. The neighbors here have been extremely kind towards us and welcomed us into their community. I hope you will find that same experience in Katy.

I hope so. I am kinda nervous about it. We are down to earth people and want to be close with our neighbors. We want to fit in and not feel out of place. I want the best for my kids and believe Katy is it. In my family we have two special needs children and here Katy has good schools for that. Our offer on the house we want will hopefully be accepted today. Can't wait!

Old 01-17-2008, 11:56 AM

82 posts, read 293,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbucle View Post
Oh just having to endure going to LA for work and having done so for the last 35 years .How you could take a beautiful state and ruin is beyond me.Do you know that california is really going bankrupt, not maybe, but really going under?I dont want that to happen in Texas.

I know what your saying, I was just stating that not all Californians are like what you think. My fiance got offered a relocation with his job in Houston and after long research we decided it would be best for our family. I honestly wondered what Texans thought about a lot of people moving there from other states ( not only California). Maybe that should be a new topic posted for here. It would be interesting to see how other Texans felt as well. I just don't want to be judged badly just because I come from California.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:39 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,587,145 times
I'm originally from Fallbrook (San Diego County), and I've had no problem being accepted here in Texas. I've been here about 8 1/2 years.

Old 01-18-2008, 12:36 PM

564 posts, read 2,049,191 times
There are so many people from different parts of the country here in the Houston area that I don't see why a Californian transplant would be seen as some big pariah. I image there's always somebody who has a "thing" against somebody but, in general, I imagine your new neighbors in Texas would accept you pretty much like they would any other transplant.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:28 PM

124 posts, read 701,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Mack View Post
There are so many people from different parts of the country here in the Houston area that I don't see why a Californian transplant would be seen as some big pariah. I image there's always somebody who has a "thing" against somebody but, in general, I imagine your new neighbors in Texas would accept you pretty much like they would any other transplant.
As a transplant myself, I totally agree!

Old 01-18-2008, 02:05 PM
cla

898 posts, read 3,313,955 times
I moved to Katy from N.O. a couple of years ago and almost everyone I meet is from somewhere else besides Texas. I doubt there is a single original Houstonian on my street. Over 100,000 people a year move to the Houston metro area, from all over the world. Houston seems to be made up of transplants - so you have nothing to worry about.

Old 01-18-2008, 03:32 PM

167 posts, read 214,736 times
I'm a native Californian and I've lived in Houston.

Old 02-11-2009, 10:27 PM

6 posts, read 11,403 times
Moved from SF bay area (native CA, Holy City (above Los Gatos) 1944) to a small town 40 miles north of Houston 22 years ago. If any of the following are important issues in deciding a move to the Houston area, DON'T.

mileage from point a to point b (annual mileage doubles)
heavy freeway traffic (I-45 going south from Conroe to Houston has a reputation as a road you never want to travel, anytime) poorly designed roads
frontage roads?
amount of continual unsafe road repairs
laws to assist traffic flow, do not exist
flooding under passes are common, trucks only, forget a sports car
lack of nature's beauty or appreciation of the few remaining pine trees, logging is the common
HUMIDITY, extreme weather fluxuation
air and water pollution
Galveston bay - maybe 3 miles of sea wall, very narrow beach (poor quality of sand), red tide, mountains of sea weed on beach (bull dozers are brought in to remove), flies, murky water, very small waves?, uncomfortably warm water unhealthy boring food, majority of people are obese; interesting, healthy, food establishments, also the arts, very very limited, downtown residents only, to far and an exhausting drive for others
cookie cutter strip centers stamped every few miles
bible belt
minorities
KKK
racial
political far right
freedom of expression for all
this is only a partial list

I dream of returning to the Santa Cruz area, live on a boat

Old 02-12-2009, 05:44 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,344,991 times
I know a lot of Californians who moved to Houston and then moved back to Cali because of the cultural differences. It's not easy living in a southern state when coming from a place like Cali
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston