Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 03:08 PM

538 posts, read 1,363,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
I'm glad to hear the constable is there. Probably makes good money because people come flying by the farm between 40-50, 60+ some nights.
I think I see him there (it could be a deputy, to be honest with you) about 75% of the time that I drive through there now, and he's hidden good. Every now and then I'll see him on the other side of Spring-Cypress, in Windrose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 03:59 PM

18,140 posts, read 25,330,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBornNRaised View Post
I agree about Spring-Stuebner, but with the widening of that road and Gosling, it'll get better eventually. FM 2920 definitely has its areas that I can't stand.
Expanding Spring-Stuebner?
When is that gonna happen?

Old 06-01-2012, 04:14 PM

538 posts, read 1,363,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Expanding Spring-Stuebner?
When is that gonna happen?
I think it's in the bidding phase right now.

You can find all the upcoming road improvements here: Harris County Precinct 4

I've been watching that site like a hawk, since I live near Spring-Cypress, and it's getting widened too (much, much, MUCH needed out here).

ETA: You'll die when you see all of them. It's like all of Precinct 4 is getting widened at once. It's going to be a mess.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:38 PM

1 posts, read 2,274 times
I graduated from Klein Oak and I truly think it is a wonderful school. Great academics, extracurriculars, and I had plenty of fantastic teachers that I still keep in touch with. Also, compared to Klein Collins, I think KO is located in a nicer, calmer area (the school is right across the street from a cow pasture).
I grew up in the neighborhood called Northampton, which is just down the street from Klein Oak. The homes are older, but they are well built.
Other newer neighborhoods I really like are Auburn Lakes (very close to Northampton), Wind Rose, and Glennloch Farms.

Sorry I don't have answers about your soccer/baseball questions!

Old 06-03-2012, 02:27 PM

24,035 posts, read 15,136,960 times
Several years ago as a market test, GE underwrote energy efficient houses in a subdivision Discovery @ Spring Trails. They pretty much guaranteed the electric bill. Some had solar panels and energy monitoring devices. I don't know of they are still actively involved. There are a couple of builders who are doing energy efficient houses.

Collins seems to be doing the best, now. Oak has an IB program. Klein High school is under going total renovation, with the kids in portables, etc. Collins and Oak are filled. The district was tweaking attendance zones to relieve crowding. People here love their chosen schools so much that they put up with a lot. Like the kid not having time to get to lunch.

No Texas schools are very good, IMO. If it were really important to me, I'd look at Katy and Conroe.

A dear friend taught math at one of your school picks. AP calculus, etc. She often had kids in her class that should not have been placed there. The school had no other place to put them. She would not allow the use of calculators until they had learned basic arithmetic. She was instructed to allow the use of calculators by the district office. She soon quit her job.

Be very mindful of houses over a couple of years old. Unincorporated Harris county does not have building codes. You need to rely on yourself. We have spent a ton putting in insulation, windows, better exterior doors, energy efficient pool pumps and filters and Seer 16 HVAC in a 30 year old house. Most people just want granite and stainless steel, so that is what is provided.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:59 PM

18,140 posts, read 25,330,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonBornNRaised View Post
I think it's in the bidding phase right now.
Thanks,
I still own my house in San Antonio which I'm renting out, therefore, I'm renting a house here.
It's good because I can move at anytime, I just hope the prices don't shoot up when is time for me to buy.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:55 AM

1,290 posts, read 5,441,982 times
In the Klein district, the only tier 1 school is Klein High. Klein Collins and Klein Oak are both tier 2, but both are good and I wouldn't have a problem sending my kids to either.

Old 06-04-2012, 01:28 PM

24,035 posts, read 15,136,960 times
As long as Texas has the top 10% rule, and your kid can read, you'd be better off in a not so competitive environment. Many are trying to get rid of the 10% rule, especially the universities.

If the Supreme Court rules no affirmative action on admission, and the top 10 rule goes away, the universities are going to be filled with Asians. Admission will get to be a big challenge for all those blonde haired, blue eyed girls who just show up and follow instructions.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:46 PM

42 posts, read 217,093 times
Default Love Northampton

We moved to Spring from Orlando 3 years ago - totally unexpected to end up in Spring. We thought we'd live here a year or so then move down south to Katy area. After 3 years, we couldn't imagine living anywhere else. Northampton is like a quiet little gem here in Spring! There is no "through" traffic - if you are in this area, you mean to be here. We are directly across the street from Klein Oak HS. I have a child at Northampton Elementary and could not be happier with the school and staff. The neighborhood is full of families and truly genuine, nice people. We have 3 pools, tennis courts, swim team, community functions, lots of family-oriented things. Police and fire station are at the entrance to the neighborhood as well, though it stays pretty quiet in here

I am pretty sure Challenge soccer practices here - I think they play at Burroughs Park??

My neighbor across the street is big into baseball - check out Banditos Baseball Club - Home

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to message me. Good Luck!

Old 06-05-2012, 01:51 PM

42 posts, read 217,093 times
Default Har

Forgot to mention that HAR has tons of information about demographics, scores, etc for schools. Of course, along with all the real estate information you'll need to start narrowing down decisions!!

HAR.com : Houston Real estate, Houston homes, Houston Realtors, TX Homes

BTW, Northampton and Auburn Lakes are both 77389 zip code - zoned to Northampton Elementary, Hildebrant Middle, and Klein Oak HS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston