Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 07:24 PM

403 posts, read 681,069 times

Advertisements

Another home buying question, having moved here from a place where you don't need A/C. Looking at some older homes in Kingwood that will probably need updates for both windows and A/C. If you had to choose to do one over the other first, which seems the wiser choice? Obviously, both are expensive projects and we will try to do both, if necessary, but would like to prioritize just in case. Thanks again...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 08:00 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,493,463 times
I would think it depends on the problem/concerns with each. Ie, if the windows are just single paned, then it's not as high on priority as if it's leaking water into the house that may cause mold and rot. If the AC is just not that effient, then its not as high in priority as if the inspector said 'it may go out any day now'. Btw, make sure you ahve a reputable AC inspector. A lot of them will rip you off!

Old 04-30-2012, 08:21 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,401,514 times
I would go with the window replacement if they are older than 15 years or so. It will help your ac and heating bill and make the home quieter if that is an issue at all. I agree if the AC is going to go out soon the priority is reversed. Also if you havent closed on a home, ask the age of the AC and heater and if they are old negotiate a lower price to take that in account or have a good hvac inspection done and get it replaced if its near going out by the seller. I replaced a heater for the buyer on my Houston home when the heat exchanger was leaking and it was on an old unit the buyer had asked me to replace with the inspection result...its was my hvac inspector who found the leak.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:32 PM

Good info; thank you very much. In conjunction with another post, people have separate inspections for structural, wood destroying insects, and A/C? Haven't closed on anything yet; haven't even made an offer, but a good portion of the houses on our list have older windows and/or A/C units.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:36 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,493,463 times
Usuallly the general inspector does inspection if he has reason, he will recommend sub inspectors such as AC, pest, etc. They almost always will recc those sub inspectors to cover their butt. If the house is brand new, you probably don't need those inspections, but since you are looking at old homes, i would think it a good idea as long as you know your ac guy is honest. Each of those inspection costs about a hundred dollar, worth the investment me thinks.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:39 PM

Yep, definitely older homes and yes to the value of the extra inspections. I suppose I'll have to hit the forums for recommendations for inspectors. Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonfan View Post
...If the house is brand new, you probably don't need those inspections, but since you are looking at old homes, i would think it a good idea as long as you know your ac guy is honest. Each of those inspection costs about a hundred dollar, worth the investment me thinks.

Old 05-01-2012, 09:04 AM

196 posts, read 419,631 times
My independent inspector did a crappy job inspecting the A/C on my newer construction condo/townhouse. The builder used too small a return filter grille, and the entire system was undersized at least 1/2 ton.

My inspection was in May, and it passed the A/C tests as far as temp difference between return and vent. But, when summer is in full effect my A/C would not cool that well, and never shut off during the entire day. And, I do not set the temp low.

The extra, or more in depth A/C inspection is worth it.

Old 05-02-2012, 04:17 PM

293 posts, read 756,229 times
We replaced our AC and windows last year and we saw some savings. This year we put in more insulation in the attic, radiant barrier paint and 2 solar powered attic fans and so far that was the biggest energy saver. I would look at the insulation first. The insulation, radiant barrier and attic fans was the least expensive job we did. Prior to replacing the AC, our repairman, the one trying to sell us a new unit, said we should update the insulation before doing anything else. A screaming hot Texas attic, no matter how new or efficient the AC is, will never allow your home to be cool in the hot summer. Good luck and Welcome to Texas!

Old 05-03-2012, 10:30 AM

9,352 posts, read 20,021,771 times
if you have to choose one or the other, replace the older, less efficient AC with a high efficiency system... you will reap the benefits immediately, especially in the Houston summer..... you won't see as much a return with window replacement, unless, like an above posted said, they are actively leaking water.... you can caulk and seal around window frames to minimize air loss for a lot less than window replacement.....

make sure the HVAC contractor does an appropriate Manual J calculation so that the system is properly sized.... Manual S calc would be helpful in selecting the correct system.... if you are looking at existing homes, a Manual D calc (ductwork sizing) would not be so applicable.....

btw... i am a certified home energy rater, (and native Houstonian), so know of what I speak.....

Old 05-03-2012, 10:47 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,766,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogkid84 View Post
Another home buying question, having moved here from a place where you don't need A/C. Looking at some older homes in Kingwood that will probably need updates for both windows and A/C. If you had to choose to do one over the other first, which seems the wiser choice? Obviously, both are expensive projects and we will try to do both, if necessary, but would like to prioritize just in case. Thanks again...
With regard to your A/C system, the most bang for your buck is probably going to be in resealing/reinsulating/re-balancing your ductwork if it needs it (if the house was built before 1990 or so it probably needs it). It is very rarely going to be cost effective to replace a working AC unit. With regard to windows, the economics of window replacement almost certainly do not work in your favor at all. Installing solar screens or window film will reduce your cooling costs by a very similar margin at a fraction of the cost. If your concern is aesthetics or you just want new windows, that's a different story, but replacing windows to improve home efficiency is probably going to yield disappointing results and isn't all that likely to seal your house up by an appreciable amount.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston