Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After moving to Houston, Did you make the right choice?
Yes 5 25.00%
No 3 15.00%
Maybe 1 5.00%
Not sure 0 0%
Hate it there 1 5.00%
Love it there 3 15.00%
Should have move to another state 0 0%
Can't wait to move out of Houston 2 10.00%
Houston was the best choice 2 10.00%
Mix feelings on Houston 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 11:10 AM

443 posts, read 1,349,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpimus View Post
Whatever, you soon will be sweating your ass off as well. Sucks to be you. Have fun! Now go back to your cookie cutter neighborhood where every house looks the same with no mature trees or yard. Again ZERO character.
Man, jpimus, what happened to you? Here was what you wrote less than 4 years ago on this forum:

Quote:
My fiance and I are happy to say we are moving to Houston. We are both 28 and Houston is an awesome city. We currently live in New York City and I was raised in Connecticut and went to UConn so I lived in the northeast my entire life.

We both have lived in New York for five years. We decided it was time for a change. We wanted a place less busy than Manhattan, but not the suburbs. We looked at other major cities (San Fran, DC, Miami, Kansas City, Boston) and nothing really caught our eye.

San Francisco = Too expensive, we might as well stay in NYC, but we did like the area. Beautiful landscape around the city.
DC = Closes down at night, high crime rates and I thought it was overpriced.
Miami = Great place to visit, but didn't want 12 months of summer combined with brutal traffic. Florida is also in a major housing crisis and seems to be losing it's touch
Kansas City = Boring, middle of the country and not a damn thing to do.
Boston = Not bad, but wasn't for us.

Then we went to Houston and it was great. The people are really nice, great food, really nice apartments, tons of parks, near the water, cool restaurants/bars. It has everything one could be looking for in a major city.

It is very large for someone who has lived in the northeast their entire life. To be on the highway for 40 minutes and never leave Houston was quite a change. The cost of living is very reasonable and the job market is doing very well. I just got hired by the Houston Police Dept and my fiance is going to work in the private sector in finance.
Did you get passed up for a promotion or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2012, 11:18 AM

148 posts, read 390,136 times
Ok, tell me that I am wrong and prove me wrong below and I will go away forever. Use fact, not your insecure emotional crap when reality is thrown in your face.

Please somebody dispute the fact that Harris County has the highest drunk driving rates in the country.

Please dispute that Harris County is not be taken over by illegal immigrants.

Please dispute the fact that the weather in Houston makes it horrible to be outside from March to November. The winter in the northeast this year was mild, so the argument that the same occurs in the northeast is a laugh.

Please dispute that all suburbs of Houston have ZERO character. They all are built by the same builders, are foolishly two inches apart and all look exactly the same with no yard.

Please dispute the mass transit in Houston is arguably the worst of any large city. The only valid argument would be to say that Houston does not have the worst mass transit because Houston doesn't have mass transit.

Please dispute that Houston is the least pedestrian friendly city in the country. One has to drive everywhere.

Please dispute that out of the top ten largest cities, Houston, with the exception of Phoenix has the lowest resident population downtown in the city's core due to no parking and a massive amount of restaurants and bars failing.

Please dispute that even if the people vote for a law or to ban an ordinance, the brain trust Houston goverment will implent their agenda's anyway. Remember the red light cameras???

Please dispute that Houston public schools are a disaster.

Please dispute that Houston has zero natural beauty. No rivers, mountains, hills, beaches etc....

Please dispute that the homeless in Houston is a huge probelm downtown.

Please dispute that the traffic in Houston is horrible compared to most cities.

Please dispute the fact that the air quality is awful, if not dangerous due to Houston being America's furnace and gas station.

Most of you know you can't come up with factual counter arguments to any of those points I just made, so here come the "if you don't like Houston, leave" crap. Sometimes silence is golden.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:21 AM

418 posts, read 744,630 times
Wow. He's over the age of 13? I thought for sure with that "what are you going to do about it" comment, he must be the 8th grade bully. And with that mentality, he's an HPD officer?? Yikes.

Old 04-04-2012, 11:41 AM

69 posts, read 246,900 times
Moved from Brooklyn 2007 to Houston for an employment oppurtunity and LOVE IT!!!! I'm not sure wher jpmus lived in Brooklyn, but there is WAYYYYYYYYYYY less crime here then in BK!!! My experiences have been 99% positive and while I miss my family in NY, I WOULD NEVER, EVER MOVE BACK!!!!

Lets compare:

1- Cost of living is cheaper in Houston. Hey, you may even be able to afford a home !!
2- My salary has increased since moving here! (I'm in healthcare).
3- My car has never been broken in too. Three times in BK.
4- I may have a false sense of security but, I don't always feel like I'm on guard. A lot of the "fight" mentality has left me.
5- My home is secure, without, all those BK locks. My friends here laugh that I have 2 locks on my front door. In BK I had 3 PLUS an iron door jam.
6- Firearm ownership is my friend!
7-Kids LOVE IT! Each child is able to have a room!
8-We love it!!! Were able to spread out in our home and not be jammed together. No neighbors sharing walls, smelling peoples cooking, hearing people have sex, argue etc.etc.
9- Parents bought a home around the corner.
10- Although I'm not a fan of the heat I despise the cold, so weather!

Last edited by ymbd; 04-04-2012 at 11:54 AM.. Reason: using my phone..

Old 04-04-2012, 11:51 AM

69 posts, read 246,900 times
Default Not trying to argue....

Quote:
Ok, tell me that I am wrong and prove me wrong below and I will go away forever. Use fact, not your insecure emotional crap when reality is thrown in your face. Not trying to argue with you but here's my take. Please somebody dispute the fact that Harris County has the highest drunk driving rates in the country. Wouldn't know; however, BK to me have the WORST drivers ever! Hands down!Please dispute that Harris County is not be taken over by illegal immigrants. We'll so is BK, just a different type of immigrant, whether illegal or legal. Please dispute the fact that the weather in Houston makes it horrible to be outside from March to November. The winter in the northeast this year was mild, so the argument that the same occurs in the northeast is a laugh. Weather for me gets bad right around the end of June until October; however, NY's summers can be just as brutal and even worse when you factor in mass transit. Please dispute that all suburbs of Houston have ZERO character. They all are built by the same builders, are foolishly two inches apart and all look exactly the same with no yard. Umm no! BK houses are for thwe most part attached, no front OR back yard and are all built the same. Where are you from again?Please dispute the mass transit in Houston is arguably the worst of any large city. The only valid argument would be to say that Houston does not have the worst mass transit because Houston doesn't have mass transit. agreed.
Please dispute that Houston is the least pedestrian friendly city in the country. One has to drive everywhere. agreed.Please dispute that out of the top ten largest cities, Houston, with the exception of Phoenix has the lowest resident population downtown in the city's core due to no parking and a massive amount of restaurants and bars failing. Wouldn't know.Please dispute that even if the people vote for a law or to ban an ordinance, the brain trust Houston goverment will implent their agenda's anyway. Remember the red light cameras??? Woudn't know.Please dispute that Houston public schools are a disaster. I found them better then BK.

Please dispute that Houston has zero natural beauty. No rivers, mountains, hills, beaches etc.... you may be right...Please dispute that the homeless in Houston is a huge probelm downtown. As well as NY,NY. NY just hides theres better. Please dispute that the traffic in Houston is horrible compared to most cities. Don't agree. It depends on where you live and work. I have shaved 1.5 hours off my commute when I moved here. Please dispute the fact that the air quality is awful, if not dangerous due to Houston being America's furnace and gas station. Kids had allergies in NY and have them here as well. Again, it depends on where you live.
Most of you know you can't come up with factual counter arguments to any of those points I just made, so here come the "if you don't like Houston, leave" crap. Sometimes silence is golden.
above are my answers.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:37 PM

739 posts, read 1,191,633 times
@ rep that's always the case. I don't believe I've seen the kind of distortions, gross exaggerations, and bashing regarding Houston, with other cities....

Old 04-04-2012, 01:20 PM

148 posts, read 390,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymbd View Post
Moved from Brooklyn 2007 to Houston for an employment oppurtunity and LOVE IT!!!! I'm not sure wher jpmus lived in Brooklyn, but there is WAYYYYYYYYYYY less crime here then in BK!!! My experiences have been 99% positive and while I miss my family in NY, I WOULD NEVER, EVER MOVE BACK!!!!

Lets compare:

1- Cost of living is cheaper in Houston. Hey, you may even be able to afford a home !!
2- My salary has increased since moving here! (I'm in healthcare).
3- My car has never been broken in too. Three times in BK.
4- I may have a false sense of security but, I don't always feel like I'm on guard. A lot of the "fight" mentality has left me.
5- My home is secure, without, all those BK locks. My friends here laugh that I have 2 locks on my front door. In BK I had 3 PLUS an iron door jam.
6- Firearm ownership is my friend!
7-Kids LOVE IT! Each child is able to have a room!
8-We love it!!! Were able to spread out in our home and not be jammed together. No neighbors sharing walls, smelling peoples cooking, hearing people have sex, argue etc.etc.
9- Parents bought a home around the corner.
10- Although I'm not a fan of the heat I despise the cold, so weather!
Ok, to be fair. I will give you #6. The Nazi liberal rape of the 2nd Amendment in NYC is bulls*it.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:24 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,382,043 times
He accused me of living in the suburbs. As a resident of the inner loop, I take that as a personal attack.

Old 04-04-2012, 01:26 PM

563 posts, read 912,752 times
Quote:
Houston doesn't have the status and or the capability to chew someone up and spit them out. Houston has no character or identity. It has nothing to make one feel it's a real and true city. It's almost like saying Plano or Arlington chewed him up and spit him out. There is nothing in Houston that can result in that happening to someone unlike real cities like Dallas, NYC, San Fran, Chicago, Atlanta, L.A.. Those are real cities that are respected worldwide. When was the last time someone did a show on Houston??? I could name about 10 for Dallas. You know why, Houston sucks and no one wants to go there. I can't wait for the remake of Dallas, that is going to be awesome. A true Texas city, not some wannabe city in heart of chemical plants.
I deleted my last post because I didn't want to get involved. It seems like this guy still wont quit.

From his previous post that was dug up -

"Someone on here said they were told the Houston "has no culture". I guarantee you that who ever said most likely never been here and is your typical trust fund northeastern snob. It has much more culture than D.C. or Boston."

"
Houston has all the big cities amenities. After all it is the 4th largest city in the country.

"I actually like the restaurants better here than NYC. New York restaurants were good, but nothing to write home about."

"It is more similar to L.A. than New York or D.C., but in some ways there is a little of the Northeast here as well. Houston is more spread out its almost live 4 cities in one. The Galleria in and midtown are bigger than most cities downtown."

So, In the Seattle thread I could have sworn you said Houston doesn't have anywhere near the culture of D.C. or Boston. In this thread you said character or identity. Doesn't it take years, if not decades, for a cities culture to change? How did Houston's culture and "real and true city" feel disappear between the course of these two posts? First Houston is cleaner than NY and now it's dirtier?

You are a walking contradiction. And yes, Houston does have a way of chewing up "trust fund northeastern snobs" and spitting them out.

Added bonus -

"
Make no mistake, Houston is a major international and global city. It is number three for consulates in the U.S.. Large cities like Dallas, Boston, San Francisco, Detroit and even Chicago are American cities, but Houston is truly in international city."

(This was actually posted just a few days ago. Please compare again to the quote in bold from this post.)

Last edited by MobileDave; 04-04-2012 at 01:39 PM..

Old 04-04-2012, 01:41 PM

1,668 posts, read 4,717,903 times
Quote:
Ok, tell me that I am wrong and prove me wrong below and I will go away forever. Use fact, not your insecure emotional crap when reality is thrown in your face.

Please somebody dispute the fact that Harris County has the highest drunk driving rates in the country.
Top 10 Cities for Drunk Driving Violations, according to Insurance.com:

1. San Diego, CA

2. San Jose, CA

3. Charlotte, N.C.

4. Phoenix, AZ

5. Columbus, Ohio

6. Indianapolis, Ind.

7. Los Angeles, CA

8. San Francisco, CA

9. Austin, TX

10. Jacksonville, FLA

Please dispute that Harris County is not be taken over by illegal immigrants. I live in Harris County & my zip code is 11% minority per the US census. Illegals aren't a factor in the lives of many Hosutonians. Some areas have a high population - just like any major city. If they bother you that much you don't have to live with them. They probably don't like you either.

Please dispute the fact that the weather in Houston makes it horrible to be outside from March to November. The winter in the northeast this year was mild, so the argument that the same occurs in the northeast is a laugh.
My kids & the rest of our neighborhood kids manage to play outside year round & I'm out there with them half the time. Heat isn't stopping us from having a blast. But your point indisputable becasue it's subjective.

Please dispute that all suburbs of Houston have ZERO character. They all are built by the same builders, are foolishly two inches apart and all look exactly the same with no yard. Some are suburbs are this way but many are not, so you're wrong. Examples of suburbs with large lots & custom homes: Fulbrook, Saddle Ridge, Weston Lakes, Friendswood, River Oaks, Memorial Villages.....I could go o & on.

Please dispute the mass transit in Houston is arguably the worst of any large city. The only valid argument would be to say that Houston does not have the worst mass transit because Houston doesn't have mass transit.
We have a busses & light rail in some areas. Most people own cars & drive themselves around becasue they like it that way. I'm a native Houstonian & don't know a single person personally who has ever said to me that they longes for mass transit. Your right, your argument is silly since we don't have an elaborate mass transit to be complaining about.

Please dispute that Houston is the least pedestrian friendly city in the country. One has to drive everywhere.
It's the most wide spread city in the country - you can't expect it to have everything you need within walking distance. I don't know anyone personally who has complained about Houston's lack of great pedstrian areas.

Please dispute that out of the top ten largest cities, Houston, with the exception of Phoenix has the lowest resident population downtown in the city's core due to no parking and a massive amount of restaurants and bars failing. Can't dispute that but apparently nobody really cares or they would opt to live downtown. Why move to a city when you already know its DT is not a heavy residential area and then complain about it?

Please dispute that even if the people vote for a law or to ban an ordinance, the brain trust Houston goverment will implent their agenda's anyway. Remember the red light cameras??? You're a police officer, don't you like the fact that cameras can help you catch the bad guys? Either way, this seems like an odd reason to dislike Houston.

Please dispute that Houston public schools are a disaster.
My kids are in Houston public schools that produce seniors with SAT scores equal to our top privates. These kids get into the same top univerisites as the kids from elite privates. Just be smart about where you buy your home, research the best public schools & purchase in one of the MANY exciting options. Houston is home to nationally ranked public schools, look it up.

Please dispute that Houston has zero natural beauty. No rivers, mountains, hills, beaches etc.... We have alot of man made beauty & I can provide pictures to prove it if you like. If we had hills, I wouldn't be able to see them through the 300 year old trees in my neighborhood.

Please dispute that the homeless in Houston is a huge probelm downtown.
Lol, enjoy your move back to New York:

The latest HUD report says that New York has the highest homeless population in America:
Study: 744,000 homeless in United States - USATODAY.com

Please dispute that the traffic in Houston is horrible compared to most cities. It's the fourth largest city in the United States of America! Yes, we have very bad traffic, shocking right?

Please dispute the fact that the air quality is awful, if not dangerous due to Houston being America's furnace and gas station.
From the American Lung Association - not too bad considering what we refine & produce:

By OzoneBy Year Round Particle PollutionBy Short-Term Particle Pollution#1: Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA
#2: Bakersfield-Delano, CA
#3: Visalia-Porterville, CA
#4: Fresno-Madera, CA
#5: Sacramento--Arden-Arcade--Yuba City, CA
#6: Hanford-Corcoran, CA
#7: San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA
#8: Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX
#9: Merced, CA
#10: Charlotte-Gastonia-Salisbury, NC-SC
#11: San Luis Obispo-Paso Robles, CA
#12: Dallas-Fort Worth, TX
#13: El Centro, CA
#14: Modesto, CA
#14: Washington-Baltimore-Northern Virginia, DC-MD-VA-WV
#16: Cincinnati-Middletown-Wilmington, OH-KY-IN
#17: New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA
#18: Knoxville-Sevierville-La Follette, TN
#19: Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale, AZ
#20: Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD
#21: Birmingham-Hoover-Cullman, AL
#22: Chico, CA
#23: Atlanta-Sandy Springs-Gainesville, GA-AL
#24: Pittsburgh-New Castle, PA
#25: Las Vegas-Paradise-Pahrump, NV

#1: Bakersfield-Delano, CA
#2: Visalia-Porterville, CA
#2: Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale, AZ
#2: Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA
#5: Hanford-Corcoran, CA
#6: Fresno-Madera, CA
#7: Pittsburgh-New Castle, PA
#8: Birmingham-Hoover-Cullman, AL
#9: Cincinnati-Middletown-Wilmington, OH-KY-IN
#10: Modesto, CA
#10: Louisville-Jefferson County-Elizabethtown-Scottsburg, KY-IN
#12: Charleston, WV
#12: Steubenville-Weirton, OH-WV
#12: Cleveland-Akron-Elyria, OH
#15: Huntington-Ashland, WV-KY-OH
#15: Indianapolis-Anderson-Columbus, IN
#17: St. Louis-St. Charles-Farmington, MO-IL
#17: Detroit-Warren-Flint, MI
#17: Houston-Baytown-Huntsville, TX
#20: Hagerstown-Martinsburg, MD-WV
#21: New York-Newark-Bridgeport, NY-NJ-CT-PA
#22: Lancaster, PA
#22: Dayton-Springfield-Greenville, OH
#24: Knoxville-Sevierville-La Follette, TN
#24: Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD
#24: York-Hanover-Gettysburg, PA
#24: Parkersburg-Marietta, WV-OH

#1: Bakersfield-Delano, CA
#2: Fresno-Madera, CA
#3: Pittsburgh-New Castle, PA
#4: Los Angeles-Long Beach-Riverside, CA
#5: Salt Lake City-Ogden-Clearfield, UT
#6: Provo-Orem, UT
#7: Visalia-Porterville, CA
#8: Birmingham-Hoover-Cullman, AL
#9: Logan, UT-ID
#9: Hanford-Corcoran, CA
#9: Sacramento--Arden-Arcade--Yuba City, CA
#12: Modesto, CA
#13: Merced, CA
#14: Eugene-Springfield, OR
#15: San Diego-Carlsbad-San Marcos, CA
#16: Stockton, CA
#17: Chicago-Naperville-Michigan City, IL-IN-WI
#18: Seattle-Tacoma-Olympia, WA
#19: Fairbanks, AK
#20: Philadelphia-Camden-Vineland, PA-NJ-DE-MD
#21: Macon-Warner Robins-Fort Valley, GA
#22: Louisville-Jefferson County-Elizabethtown-Scottsburg, KY-IN
#23: Green Bay, WI
#24: Phoenix-Mesa-Glendale, AZ
#24: Portland-Vancouver-Hillsboro, OR-WA
#24: San Jose-San Francisco-Oakland, CA
#24: Madison-Baraboo, WI
#24: Davenport-Moline-Rock Island, IA-IL
#24: Wheeling, WV-OH

You promised you'd go away, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston