Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: After moving to Houston, Did you make the right choice?
Yes 5 25.00%
No 3 15.00%
Maybe 1 5.00%
Not sure 0 0%
Hate it there 1 5.00%
Love it there 3 15.00%
Should have move to another state 0 0%
Can't wait to move out of Houston 2 10.00%
Houston was the best choice 2 10.00%
Mix feelings on Houston 3 15.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 04:05 PM

110 posts, read 295,625 times

Advertisements

I haven't read the entire thread, but I'll throw my two cents in. I'm from NY (Staten Island). I moved to Houston in '95 for college, and lived there for 11 years. My two eldest children were born there. I currently live in Fresno, CA, and also did a stint in San Diego for four years for additional schooling.

Someone described Houston as a working city with no natural beauty. For me, this rings true. Despite Houston's drawbacks, at this stage my life the positives outweigh the negatives to the extent that my wife and I are in the process of moving back. Houston is the cheapest city of its size in the country.

Yes, the weather in Houston sucks, especially the humidity. For much of the year, it's like breathing through a wet sponge with a damp sock wrapped around your head. But, apart from SoCal, you'll not find anywhere in the country with perfect weather. Most places have some combination of too hot or too cold. San Diego was just right, but then you start to miss seasons...and rain...and real trees...and thunderstorms. When things are perfect too long, you forgot what sucky weather is like.

Yes, Houston has a crappy public transportation system. So do most post-WWII cities. The desirable ones that don't all have a high cost of of living (e.g. NYC, Boston, S.F.). And, the reality is that for most working adults--especially those with children--mass transit is not viable. When I lived in Houston and my car broke down, it took two hours to commute to work by bus. My father lives in Staten Island and works in Brooklyn. He drives because it would take him two hours to commute to work by mass transit. I'm a proponent of mass transit owing to my experience of growing up without a car, but at this stage in my life it's not a make or break.

Yes, Houston is lacking in natural beauty. But, everything is a tradeoff. Houston is in the middle of the country and has two major airports. It's a days drive to either coast. With the money to be saved living there, take a trip or two every year to someplace prettier. As things stand, my wife and I have lived here in CA for six years and have been to the mountains twice. we did frequent the beach in San Diego, but haven't really gone since we moved to Fresno, even though it's only a couple of hours away.

Yes, there are many ignorant people in Houston. But, you'll find that anywhere and it hasn't stopped Houston's economy from growing. If you watch Bill Maher on HBO, he did a segment on some ignorant people in Alabama...then did a followup on NY, with some of the same types of people. I'm not sure which was worse: the people from Alabama who didn't understand the system, or the people in NYC who clearly understood the system too well.

Crime wise, I don't think Houston is any worse than any other major city. My car stereo was stolen twice while I lived in Houston. A neighbor even recorded the perp on camera. It was then stolen once while I lived in San Diego. Then again while in Fresno. Lesson learned: the face is detachable for a reason.

In conclusion, whether an NYC transplant can be adjust to life in Houston depends solely on that individual's needs. For a time, I envisioned going back to NYC. Then I had kids. Now, I'd be content to get my kids to the city once in a while to visit family. Even that is difficult because no one in my family is well and they do not have space to accomodate us. I couldn't ever conceive of raising my children in NYC. The cost of living is just waaaay too high. We're leaving California for the same reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 06:25 PM

59 posts, read 86,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflores View Post
I live just outside the loop but still in Houston proper, I have access to 610 which gets me to Meyerland Plaza, Galleria and downtown within a matter of 10-15 mins without traffic.

I live in the willowbend area which is pretty much middle class.

Great, nice to know =)

Old 04-11-2012, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericeric View Post
I agree I think I can deal with AC better than dealing with the shivering cold, not wanting to do any thing else than be tucked in my bed under my sheets =( (I'm actually kind of tired of that)
--- Is there no heating in your house during winter?

Crime........I Do care, but hey I live in a city that is not so safe either. I believe when something is going to happen to someone, it will no matter how, what time or where.
--- NYC crime rate is lower than Houston.
http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2011/City_Lo-Hi_2011.pdf

Yes there is heating, if you are from NY or not, you should know is against the law not to have heat in your house or apt during the winter in NY

I don't know if in Houston there is more crime than NY, or if in NY there is more crime than Houston......But thanks I will check this website out for sure

Even though as we all should know, there is crime everywhere.....crime is committed by people and we are surrounded by each other everyday. Is like we are safe in any place because even in the news you hear people getting killed by their own families in their own house. So that is a risk everywhere and anywhere.

Old 04-11-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghall00 View Post
I haven't read the entire thread, but I'll throw my two cents in. I'm from NY (Staten Island). I moved to Houston in '95 for college, and lived there for 11 years. My two eldest children were born there. I currently live in Fresno, CA, and also did a stint in San Diego for four years for additional schooling.

Wow, way to go for you

Someone described Houston as a working city with no natural beauty. For me, this rings true. Despite Houston's drawbacks, at this stage my life the positives outweigh the negatives to the extent that my wife and I are in the process of moving back. Houston is the cheapest city of its size in the country.

]Great to know that the positive outweighs the negative Awww really are ya planning to move back this year? I heard that Houston is cheap, that is what I need. lol

Yes, the weather in Houston sucks, especially the humidity. For much of the year, it's like breathing through a wet sponge with a damp sock wrapped around your head. But, apart from SoCal, you'll not find anywhere in the country with perfect weather. Most places have some combination of too hot or too cold. San Diego was just right, but then you start to miss seasons...and rain...and real trees...and thunderstorms. When things are perfect too long, you forgot what sucky weather is like.

This is actually the only thing that scares me a little bit to be honest, but thats is why i decide to visit before moving out there

Yes, Houston has a crappy public transportation system. So do most post-WWII cities. The desirable ones that don't all have a high cost of of living (e.g. NYC, Boston, S.F.). And, the reality is that for most working adults--especially those with children--mass transit is not viable. When I lived in Houston and my car broke down, it took two hours to commute to work by bus. My father lives in Staten Island and works in Brooklyn. He drives because it would take him two hours to commute to work by mass transit. I'm a proponent of mass transit owing to my experience of growing up without a car, but at this stage in my life it's not a make or break.

I really dont care much of public transportation, i hope lol.....I really like driving and in NY i do it very little. So that would be great to have to rely on a car to get to place, that's just my opninion

Yes, Houston is lacking in natural beauty. But, everything is a tradeoff. Houston is in the middle of the country and has two major airports. It's a days drive to either coast. With the money to be saved living there, take a trip or two every year to someplace prettier. As things stand, my wife and I have lived here in CA for six years and have been to the mountains twice. we did frequent the beach in San Diego, but haven't really gone since we moved to Fresno, even though it's only a couple of hours away.

Well NY is only beautiful in the night time when all the lights are on in the city lol, and There is a saying that NY is all gray in the daytime

Yes, there are many ignorant people in Houston. But, you'll find that anywhere and it hasn't stopped Houston's economy from growing. If you watch Bill Maher on HBO, he did a segment on some ignorant people in Alabama...then did a followup on NY, with some of the same types of people. I'm not sure which was worse: the people from Alabama who didn't understand the system, or the people in NYC who clearly understood the system too well.

I think we find these type of people everywhere. The place does not make the people ignorant, they are ignorant because they are. So a place should not be blamed because of society.

Crime wise, I don't think Houston is any worse than any other major city. My car stereo was stolen twice while I lived in Houston. A neighbor even recorded the perp on camera. It was then stolen once while I lived in San Diego. Then again while in Fresno. Lesson learned: the face is detachable for a reason.

LOL this is so true and funny (Not what happened to you, but your last sentence. )

In conclusion, whether an NYC transplant can be adjust to life in Houston depends solely on that individual's needs. For a time, I envisioned going back to NYC. Then I had kids. Now, I'd be content to get my kids to the city once in a while to visit family. Even that is difficult because no one in my family is well and they do not have space to accomodate us. I couldn't ever conceive of raising my children in NYC. The cost of living is just waaaay too high. We're leaving California for the same reason.
I truly agree with you on this one, only I would find out if Houston is for me. I think it depends mostly on the individual itself

Thanks =)

Last edited by NY2788; 04-11-2012 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: To add color

Old 04-12-2012, 08:31 AM

69 posts, read 246,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockmat View Post
For the New Yorkers who love Houston. Have yall tried/visited other warm cities? What makes Houston any better than those?
I've visted all the southern states along the east coast and even have family in those states. The one thing that makes Houston better..... Location. Everyone from NY moves to the states along the east coast so visiting family is easier, just a drive up I95. The good and the bad have moved there, so to me, it's just like living in NY. You see the SAME people with the same mentality.

Houston is just far enough that visiting family won't drive, and stop by for a long weekend and really have to plan a trip. I miss my family but not NY. My hubby and I wake everyday and are just thankful that we took the leap of faith and moved here after one visit.

Old 04-12-2012, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymbd View Post
I've visted all the southern states along the east coast and even have family in those states. The one thing that makes Houston better..... Location. Everyone from NY moves to the states along the east coast so visiting family is easier, just a drive up I95. The good and the bad have moved there, so to me, it's just like living in NY. You see the SAME people with the same mentality.

Houston is just far enough that visiting family won't drive, and stop by for a long weekend and really have to plan a trip. I miss my family but not NY. My hubby and I wake everyday and are just thankful that we took the leap of faith and moved here after one visit.

Nice to know, thak you very much....I really hope that my hubby and I can wake up like that everyday awell =)

Last edited by NY2788; 04-12-2012 at 04:02 PM.. Reason: Grammar

Old 04-13-2012, 10:39 AM

88 posts, read 154,397 times
Don't most people want to live closer, not farther, to family? Not so with east coasters?

Old 04-14-2012, 02:00 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,236,877 times
As a native New Yorker, from Queens, and having lived in Miami, LA and Chicago...Houston is great.

New York...too crowded, dirty, super expensive and winter sucks.
Miami...Super expensive, super Latin, not much to do but party on Miami beach. Although the beaches and the Keys are pretty.
Chicago....AWEFUL winters. Very segregated city...high crime rates. Very corrupt politically.
LA...dirty, dirty, dirty. And did I mention the earthquakes, mudslides, fires and the road rage?

Point is, anyone can talk smack about any city on earth.

Houston is a city for professionals who want to raise a family without having to go broke doing it.
Houston has the amenities for you and your family. We are the energy and medical capital. You want to party, go live on South Beach. You want to die in an earthquake, go to LA. Wanna freeze, move to Chicago.

Everyone has a choice.

Old 04-14-2012, 02:01 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,236,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lockmat View Post
Don't most people want to live closer, not farther, to family? Not so with east coasters?
That's why they invented the plane.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:36 AM

69 posts, read 246,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
That's why they invented the plane.
In my case no. As I said I love them but we wanted a better quality of life and the east coast wasn't offering it for us. East coast madness I can live without:

1- Attitudes and entitlement
2- Rat race
3- 2 hour commute to work
4- Crammed living
5- The cold
6- Cost of living

Moving to Texas from the east coast is a HUDGE leap and shouldn't be taken lightly. I had employment lined up and hubby found employment two months afterwards. We secured the rental of a home (through a realty company over the phone, email and fedex), set up utilites (by phone) and drove up two weeks prior to work to secure daycare for the kids.

I moved mid June of '07 after visiting 3/07 and then deciding we wanted to move. I work in healthcare, so I secured four interviews for late April and early May. Hubby and I flew up on our dime 2x for the interviews, I accepted one of 3 offers and the rest is history.

Research, research, research! Don't just take what people say on a mesage board at face value. Visit! Tour the neighborhood you'd like to live and work in. Drive the distance between the two during a work week to estimate commute time. Again research, research, research!

One thing I did notice is that cars are more expensive here than in Brooklyn. I guess becuase BK has mass transit and here you pretty much need a car to get around.

Last edited by ymbd; 04-14-2012 at 07:38 AM.. Reason: quoted wrong poster...sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Houston